Hardware List for Haiku

When we started our BeSly System Analysis Tool project, it was already clear that the recorded data would anytime flow into an online database.

Unfortunately, not much data has been collected about our program over the years. Usually it is our own tests that we have saved here (thanks to those who sent us their data). Probably the recording with our program is too complicated for the users or the recorded data is on the respective person’s computer without being sent to us :wink:.

For the last few days we have been working on the development of an online database and have now created it. In addition to our data from the analysis tool, the older tests from Chaotics Blog (which we were kindly allowed to include on our site)) as well as the entries from the forum have also been included.

https://hardware.besly.de

Here, above all, the hardware is recorded that is necessary for creating your own computer. These are generally the graphics card, sound card, network card and WLAN cards. We have added the hrev number to each hardware so that you know which Haiku version it was tested on.

If you want to support our project, you are welcome to post your hardware here in the forum. Please make sure that the names are conclusive, because for example an Intel HD can be anything. Please provide the manufacturer and hrev number.

Example: Manufacturer: Intel , Name: Intel HD 3031 , Modus: vesa , hrev: 50432

We do not mention the name of the person who sent us the data, so that no private information is saved. The only thing that counts here is what works and what doesn’t.

We hope you like it.

Extended links on the topic:

8 Likes

I think the hardware list is a very good idea which can be helpful for many users.
I haven’t contributed to using the System Analysis Tool so far,maybe because I was too lazy,but I’ll do soon for my three devices (one computer,two laptops) which have Haiku installed as main OS.
Maybe I can also report some other devices using a Live USB Stick where Haiku had so big driver issues that I couldn’t use it,if not working devices are helpful for you?

1 Like

I think it makes sense to also record non-working hardware, as this should also be pointed out. It’s also interesting for people who write drivers. So I have these included in the tables.

However, it probably makes no sense to report hardware that is used via a virtual machine.

1 Like

Okay,then I’ll try to report all devices I have here.
I always run Haiku directly on the hardware,never in a VM,but sometimes I boot only from a USB stick instead of installing it to the hard disk,that’s what I meant.

1 Like

@lelldorin awesome on the new list; all the data from Haiku Computer List is fully open and still up @ https://github.com/the-os-voyager/haiku-computer-list under archived, I’m not maintaining it anymore so instead of the stuff going to waste, feel free to merge the data into your new hardware list if you want :slightly_smiling_face: in any case, good luck with the list! Maybe this means Haiku will at last get an official center for hardware!

4 Likes

Thats the plan :grinning:

5 Likes

This is nice. Price range would be good to know, but I guess that can vary over time. I’d like to have an inexpensive, small laptop to run haiku on, but chrome book support is iffy at best it seems.

Yes this is not a stabile value and pending on the vendor and country.

Asking the community is most time the right way by this.

I have a Acer TravelMate B117 series on which Haiku runs nearly perfect.
I got it used quite cheap and it has the same size that the Chromebook I had years ago had.
I think it’s somewhat around 11 inch probably.
It has no audio and the SD card slot doesn’t work,but everything else works perfectly with Haiku.
Built-in wifi is supported and perfectly stable,the touchpad even supports gestures like scrolling with two fingers.
It runs on R1Beta3 here,maybe the audio issue is already fixed in the Nighly,if I remember correctly there were some commits related to Intel HD Audio in the meantime,but I didn’t try.
Will also submit the SystemAnalysisTool results for it soon,but I still have 4 more devices to test.

1 Like

Did you know ahead of time it’d be that compatible based on its hardware specs?

No,I just hoped the best when I saw it in a local computer shop,as it didn’t look totally new.
I knew that my Medion Akoya (2019) with touchscreen and AC Wifi has serious driver issues with Haiku,so I looked for something that’s more like a traditional old laptop,but still in a smaller form factor.
In the end it was just good luck,it would have been totally possible that Haiku didn’t boot at all.

I was going to try to run this on my Surface 2 Pro, but unfortunately the networking over USB is really unstable and every time I try to do any kind of package management it stops working. Do you have a link to an unpackaged version for 64 bit? I tried just running pkgman with the hpkg, but it wants to refresh all of the repo data and the process stops at that point.

You could use the “package extract” command to get access to the files in the HPKG?

1 Like

I will try that later.

Or Download the package from depot.haiku-os.org and open it with my HPKGCreator. Then you can change the entrys and create a new hpkg.

I have to see if I can report something in the next few days.
The day before yesterday I was able to boot Haiku from a USB stick onto the Zotac ZBOX Magnus ER51060 for the first time, WiFi works …
Also my DELL XPS15 L502x again, but hangs with the WiFi (initialization? = Symbol flashes).
Shift and space before / during the boot process have no effect.
The Zotac ZBOX IQ01 no longer boots 32-bit after June 30th, 2021, 64-bit haiku on it, as always, excellent!

1 Like

You should deactivate the wifi card in Blacklist eventually?

Shift and space before / during the boot process have no effect.

DELL XP15 L502x

Among other things, it (also) worked in 2020 …

Try an external keyboard. Despite my Surface booting and working with the keyboard cover, it does not work till the OS is at the point of showing the desktop. If I use an external, I can get in to the boot menu. Also for me when EFI booting, hold space from the point the boot process starts to load Haiku. It needs you to do that for it to work reliably. Hammering on space doesn’t work reliably for EFI for sure.