Hardware List: Compatible Webcams

To expand our hardware list , i would be interested to know which webcams are supported/or not supported.

Of course, this only makes sense if you run Haiku directly on hardware.

Please provide the following information:

Manufacturer: for example logitech
Model: for example 0815
Connection: for example USB
Haiku hrev number you use this on
Note: Information necessary for operation

Please don’t have any discussions about it here, only post hardware

Previous contribution

There are no USB webcams supported. The driver is not enabled, as it is not finished.

(Sorry to not follow that request here, but where I would provide some feedback about this otherwise?)

Also, instead of having to copy paste info form forum posts… shouldn’t be better to re-implement the server side of mmu_man’s “hardwarechecker.sh” (from this ticket).

In its current state, it generates a local report for the whole system (as the “submit” wont work for lack of said server side component). Still already quite useful.

A much better approach, IMO.

Quite simply, the principle of our hardware database is different. It’s about naming the user the hardware as he finds it in the store.

My BeSly System analysis program does the same as the script, except that you can enter personal information and names for the hardware information there. Unfortunately, this was not accepted as first hoped. Although there have already been more people who are involved there, this forum form has ultimately shown the most success.

That’s not correct, the UVC driver (for standard compliant webcams) isn’t working but some older models which predate the standard will actually work fine. This is a small list, but there are still some.

Not really: with these automated reports we don’t know if things are working or not. Wether it’s for bugreports or for the hardware database, we need people to check that things really work. Even if the drivers pretend it does, if you end up with a black screen, no sound, or a keyboard where only the control and alt keys work, there’s no way to detect that from inside the running OS. So we needs humans involved in the process for now.

1 Like

So, I add the one tested today :

Manufacturer: Macally
Model: Icecam 1 (not Icecam 2 ! Icecam 2 doesn’t work)
Connection: USB
Haiku hrev: 56627
Note: this is an old webcam (2006).
But it works with CodyCam.
Sometimes there is one on eBay.

1 Like

That mmu_man script generates a webpage, where the user can select from “works / does not works / unknown” (defaulting to the latter) for each device. Along with other fields where the user can input more info.

Seems pretty handy in that regard at least.

I would suggest running hardwarechecker.sh on Ticket #13671 – Attachment – Haiku, to see what I mean.

This project is always known but again, can a user buy hardware for a running haiku system, watching this list?

And on the other side, we had a big discussion about private data stored in hardware data during writing my BeSly System Analysis Tool, i add many possible data for devs and users, but i need to remove many of them to make the output free from private data. Is the script free of them?

The script and also my tool are of interest to add hardware data to bug reports. My tool does both, you can export your data as text file and you can create a webpage with the user-entered-data.

@lorglas The exported hardware list of my tool on BeSly looks ugly, sorry for that, it need to reworked here. The original output looks better.

1 Like

Maybe an issue with css. I will check it.

For the record: I really appreciate what you’re trying to accomplish!

My “concern” is with what I consider a process that requires the extra (and more importantly, error prone) work of copy/pasting info from free-form posts on a forum, instead of a more “standard” form with info automatically gathered from the running user system that can be collected directly into a database for further processing.

I’m not saying that script is THE solution. I mentioned it as an existing example of something that I consider better than free-form user reports, that’s all.

I wasn’t really aware of that BeSly System Analysis Tool, looks nice! Another example of what I was aiming at: anything but free-form user reports.

Hoping I made my original intention clear this time (sorry if I wasn’t before), now I can finally stay quiet about this :slight_smile:

Edits: slightly less broken English.

1 Like

:wink: Clear now

1 Like
  • UVCCam USB Video Class (Driver not built)
    Does that mean the WebCam is detected but no driver is available for it?

There is a driver in Haiku sourcecode, but it is not usable. It will detect the camera, find some controls (similar to volume controls for soundcards, allowing to set brightness, contrast, …) but it does not work well enough to get video data from the webcam.

Since it is useless, and to avoid a ton of bug reports about it from all users trying it, we have not included it in any builds yet, if you want to try it you have to compile it yourself (the only reason to do so is if you want to develop/fix the code in it).

Thank you very much for your detailed answer,

What a pity to have almost working webcam driver now which is of no use for now!

I had compiled the driver with help from X512 and did not know what to do with it!
I had success detecting one of my 2 cams! It will show some output after unplugging the USB-cable, but nothing more…

So if someone trying to finish it, it would be very welcomed!

Is there even an enhancement ticket on trac?

There are some …

1.)

—> opened tickets

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#5932 assigned enhancement
Detecting USB Cam but no properties and CodyCam not work

#6538: bug:
CodyCam can’t find video source (for formerly working webcam) (in-progress)

2.)

—> one was closed as invalid in 2019, as it was rather video4linux stuff not UVC (USB)

#7113 closed enhancement (invalid)
libwebcam webcam API and some support UVC

3.)

and some about several kind of webcam driver development requests – at 2017-05-12

#13483 new enhancement
Merge the Fujifilm Finepix into the modular webcam diver

#13484 new enhancement
Write a driver for Zoran USB cameras

#13485 new enhancement
Write a driver for Z-star USB cameras

#13486 new enhancement
Write a driver for Transvision USB cameras

#13487 new enhancement
Write a driver for Sunplus USB cameras

#13488 new enhancement
Write a driver for Pixart USB cameras

#13489 new enhancement
Write a driver for OmniVision USB cameras

#13490 new enhancement
Write a driver for Vimicro USB cameras

#13491 new enhancement
Write a driver for ALi USB cameras

#13492 new enhancement
Write a driver for Philips USB cameras

#13498 new enhancement
Write a driver for Ricoh USB cameras

#13499 new enhancement
Write a driver for Service&Quality USB cameras

#13500 new enhancement
Write a driver for Syntek USB cameras

#13501 new enhancement
Write a driver for Connexant USB cameras

#13502 new enhancement
Write a driver for Endpoints USB cameras

#13503 new enhancement
Write a driver for Etoms USB cameras

#13504 new enhancement
Write a driver for Tasc USB cameras

#13505: enhancement:
Write a driver for Jeilin USB cameras (new)

#13506: enhancement:
Write a driver for Mars USB cameras (new)

#13509 new enhancement
Write a driver for CPiA USB cameras

#13510 new enhancement
Write a driver for CPiA2 USB cameras

#13511 new enhancement
Write a driver for later Sonix USB cameras

Interestingly … no Logitech webcams driver development enlisted among the tickets I found … as requested - which has really a huge family of USB webcams.

However a central enhancement ticket … I had not found
for
UVC
UVC USB
or
USB webcam
words adding in the search field.

Kind regards,

2 Likes

Very nice search work,
makes some things clear!

Maybe Logitech using UVC cam driver? That would be nice!

To have at least one modern webcam driver working is the last puzzle piece for completing Haiku!

Last try I think.

He used a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 .

2 Likes