What apps do you need on Haiku?

I would like to use darktable as well. I’m an intensive user of Gimp and Photoshop. On Haiku we have a good tool chain for developing photos.
I haven’t used Photivo so far but I will test it now.
We have Digikam with a very good image editor in Haiku Depot. I even use Krita for fine tuning my photos. It is not only for drawing picture. It is very powerful for image processing. Give it a try.
A really important thing is to calibrate the monitor for photo processing. We need a good calibration app. I have Xlite from Eye One for calibrate my monitor which works with Windows, MacOS and Linux. With a calibration tool we would get a good base for image editing in an advanced way.

3 Likes

As Photivo does not import my DNG-Raws, I use Showfoto as part of Digikam to import raw files. I save them as 16bit Tiff files and use Digikam as the storage manager. For the final work I just use Krita (Layers, transpiracy, repair or moddeling tools). Gimp is a powerful tool but I don’t miss it very much.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know about digiKam…must have missed it when I initially re-installed all the programs again when I installed the Beta 2. Gonna use it. I’ll have add to my list of software to re-install when R1 is released in the near future.

Still playing with Photivo…it is what it says it is. I always liked Gimp versus Photoshop (though Photoshop has a better intuitive interface).

Of course I would be just as happy if Corel AfterShot 3 and PaintShop Pro was available for Haiku. I have used PaintShop Pro off-and-on since the early '90s.

Thanks everyone!

• Dooble browser (Qt/WebEngine)
  • Joplin or similar cloud-capable note-taking app
  • Keybase and KBFS
  • VSCode
  • Julia programming language
  • Zig programming language
  • Go programming language
2 Likes

Paintshop Pro is/was a very powerful bit of software, and being dedicated to photography didn’t come with all the baggage of the equally mis-named Photoshop.
Its biggest drawback was the horrible user interface. If it had looked nicer I think it might have been much more successful.

1 Like

Back in the days there was also Pixel32 and Refraction :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Muffin, that’s useful to know.
I am interested in photo correction more than image manipulation. Since it first came out I have used Silkypix to import a batch of RAW files and quickly correct imperfections in exposure, colour balance, and contrast. It also permits cropping, sharpening, horizon correction and a few other things. Almost everything can be done by batch or on a selection of one or more images. It’s wonderfully quick, and I seldom want to do any more to my pictures.
Darktable seems to do much the same, so it would suit me down to the ground.

I use Scripture Guide for my Bible reading since it is the only application we have in Haiku. It would be nice to see if the “TheWord” could be ported into Haiku. The URL for this software is at “https://theword.net/”.

This software is excellent to use and has many features that Scripture Guide does not have. It also supports many different translations, both free and premium. I use this software in Windows and in Linux (via Wine).

Ports don’t happen without source code. TheWord is an example of closed-source freeware. It costs nothing but also cannot be modified to run outside of Windows. Fortunately the Sword parser library is open-source so other applications that use it can be modified. BibleTime for Linux is an example of the use of this. Someone started trying to make a Haiku counterpart of BibleTime but got stuck.

Edit:
https://github.com/HaikuArchives/ScriptureGuide was it but at least it’s open-source. @Paradoxon was the guy who was working on it but got stuck. I don’t think he’s stuck any more but has a demanding day job.

Anyway, fixing ScriptureGuide is easier than having to reverse-engineer TheWord without the source code.

We’ve had a KitchenGardenAid before, but probably a younger version:

Gardening is booming in this Corona time!
It is good to learn (quickly) using software which vegetables are compatible with other vegetables, and even promote or hinder them!

1 Like

No need to reinvent the wheel: https://github.com/haikuports/haikuports/tree/14c2cab5428145b93232cb69683a67bbe68a9f06/app-text/sword

Maybe I get it wrong
but aren’t Sword and BibleTime different programs?

Sword is an engine. BibleTime uses it.

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s how I understood it.
No, I don’t have BibleTime, although I would like to have it under haiku!

It was pretty straightforward to build it, so maybe you can do it and create a recipe even.

I did something like:

mkdir -p build_haiku
cd build_haiku
cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=<path to install bibletime> -DBUILD_HANDBOOK_HTML=OFF -DBUILD_HANDBOOK_PDF=OFF -DBUILD_HOWTO_HTML=OFF -DBUILD_HOWTO_PDF=OFF

Building docs requires po4a, which doesn1t seems to be ported yet, you can do that too.

I am not learning that anymore!

But I would like to see translations of Ruth Lapide ‘in’, even if she (maybe) is not (te) right in everything: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Lapide
I would invest time for that!
How would that look legally?

How do you expect thing to happen at haikuports if you have questions but not commit?
Most of us are busy as it is already, we would love to see new people adding new software to Haiku(ports) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

IBUS like app for Haiku? Keymapswitcher not helping me to type in Hindi…indic fonts
Set everything in LO writer, still unable to get the Hindi characters while typing…

Thanks for explaining the differences. I’m not a developer so I would not know about the source code stuff.