What apps do you need on Haiku?

You can try the simple add-on shown below. Though the project still release no package for installation, feel free to compile it from source at your wish.

4 Likes

Looks quite nice, maybe we could add it to haikuports?

I am still working on it when i have free time yet, it’s still far from being acomplished.

I’ve added libsunpinyin to haikuports, that’s one part done to get BeSunPinyin building (already checked and builds ok). :slight_smile:

Maybe someone write multiplatform simple app for test haiku hardware compatibility, like microsoft have with their windows 11 comp app. I think this app compare hardware with actual supported gfx,sound,and network and write result :wink:

Thanks. BTW, you don’t have to generate the data files (lm_sc.t3g, pydict_sc.bin) by downloading big files from somewhere, just copy the files from “sunpinyin-data” package target the same architeture for Linux, then put it to the proper directory, like /boot/system/lib/sunpinyin/data, then use the standalone test to find out whether libsunpinyin could work or not.

1 Like

I think that path is read only.

Hi,
But when you have a laptop it’s not easily set up so USB driver for Wifi is welcome.

The directory is “writable” for a .hpkg file to put files into, and those files are accessed read only when processing.

Standalone test program for BeOS can be found at “test” sub-directory of BeSunPinyin sources on github, or the older version of sunpinyin(1.x)

Haven’t been there, busy with other things, could you check out the package and see if anything is missing/obsolete?

Something modern with the functionality of BeCJK, which doesn’t really work for me, at least for Japanese. The interface isn’t great either.

A neko project 2 port would also be nice.
edit: both of these have been done.

I think Japanese users use Canna or (more likely) mozc for JP input. There is a guide here: 雑記帳2022: Haiku R1 Beta3 で日本語を使う / Using Japanese in Haiku R1 Beta3

3 Likes

OpenToonz, an app with a QT support

Could we possibly include that in the official documentation? I think there was a Japanese reviewer who couldn’t figure out how to use Japanese in Haiku, so having that in the official documentation would greatly help.

3 Likes

For me its

• good Webbrowser
  • good Emailclient in terms of reliability
  • good C++ IDE, perfect would be Eclipse(Qt creator can work too)
  • BSD/*Nix userland which Haiku has(svn, git, g++, diff …)
  • 3D hardware acceleration
  • Blender
  • Screen still or video capture
  • Doxygen
  • FTP transfer tool like FTPPositive
  • Later: GIMP (or similar Haiku app)
  • Later: LibreOffice (or similar Haiku app)
  • Later: USB audio with multi channel support
  • Later: Bluetooth audio
  • Later: Some audio editor like AudaCity (or similar Haiku app)
  • Later: Audio harddisc recording studio
  • Later: Video editing
  • Later: Webcam support

This is my list. I love you guys. Keep up the great work!

1 Like

My List :

1. A word processor (LibreOffice)
  2. A web browser
  3. A good IDE
  4. Compilers (Rust, C, C++, ASM)
  5. Krita
1 Like

These lists are hard to read because you get the feeling that haiku has no programs. Of course you also write down what you have when it comes to what you need, but outsiders never read properly and then it says afterwards that there is no office (Libre Office) or 3d construction program (Blender) … :wink:

Maybe we should turn it into a new discussion, e.g. Which apps do you need in 2022?
A lot is already available and most of it is therefore already outdated.

Better hardware support (also 3d graphics).
Good working Wine.
Better security.
More stable system.
Gui style themes.
Hidpi support.
Uefi support.

2 Likes

A few of these are already ported/working…

2 Likes