What apps do you need on Haiku?

How about adding a short paragraph to the Welcome page, under “Installing more software”, like:

A localized Haiku

Haiku has been translated to dozens of languages and supports a multitude of keymaps. When booting Haiku for the first time you can set language and keymap. These settings can be changed at any time with the Locale and Keymap preferences.

The HaikuDepot application offers a number of input methods for Chinese, Japanese and Korean to download and install.

I’m also considering adding a small info-box to the Keymap chapter of the user guide, hinting to the input methods available through HaikuDepot.

And I’m looking into promoting the mozc input method into the featured packages of HaikuDepot, if that is the most widely used method.

1 Like
  1. Apple Music + drivers for my sound card
  2. A good web browser (for Netflix and other services)
  3. Emacs :ballot_box_with_check:
  1. hhtracks - website copy tool HTTrack Website Copier - Free Software Offline Browser (GNU GPL)
  2. Pixel32 “back to Haiku” http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel
  3. A way to optimal run beos on Haiku (good speed and running old software/games)
  4. A way to optimal run Zeta on haiku (good speed and running old software/game)
  5. Running 32bit software on 64bit system
1 Like
  • A native Matrix (messaging) client
    • Chat-O-Matic may be a good starting point,they even started Matrix protocol support but it’s not in a usable state yet
  • A native office suite
    • Or alternatively a ported word processor which is small and lightweight with only the essential features,LibreOffice is too big and bloated for me (something like Abiword,but without GTK)
  • A native usenet newsreader
    • There’s NewsBe,but it doesn’t work on 64bit and hasn’t seen much work recently,maybe I could look into it some day
  • Make QtWebEngine and Falkon more stable
  • (Only dreaming…) Firefox would be really useful,but I know and accept that it won’t happen
2 Likes

Haven’t tried yet, but does music.apple.com work under WebPositive or other browsers?

Netflix is unlikely because of DRM limitations.

Apple Music in the browser requires Widevine.
Screenshot 2022-01-13 at 11.29.37

1 Like

I really would like to see binary compatibility with 32-bit BeOS applications on 64-bit Haiku. I feel like it’s a big part of Haiku’s legacy. This would also remove the need to maintain 32-bit ISOs.

12 Likes

I adapted the code for NewsBe and nettle (the network library that it needs) to compile under modern gcc. Also works on x86_64. Already submitted as pull requests to HaikuArchives.

The program has some other issues already reported on GitHub. I don’t know how motivated I am to continue much further as I don’t use Usenet groups anymore (didn’t even know they still existed, loved Usenet back in the days). But at least I want to fix the error with the missing config file that occurs on startup.

EDIT: Both pull requests are merged. After compiling nettle you have to copy the library (in the lib directory) and the header files (in the include directory) to the appropriate places in the non-packaged hierarchy.Headers go to /boot/system/non-packaged/develop/headers and the library (.so file) goes to /boot/system/non-packaged/develop/lib and /boot/system/non_packaged/lib

1 Like

Really this should be in the release images and enabled by default if the user selects a corresponding keyboard layout in FirstBootPrompt.

5 Likes

I agree 100%. There’s ticket #15834 to track the progress here. But until it’s actually implemented, a bit of help from the Welcome page etc. may be a good idea.

1 Like

Thank you very much,I’ll try it again as soon as possible.
I already looked into it some days ago,but couldn’t fix the Nettle build on 64bit (my experience is near to zero).
I only started using the Usenet about a week ago and I think it’s still a great platform.

Happy to help. Besides that, it is always a good learning experience to try and fix old programs. Before you try it out, make sure that you wait until my pull request with the missing config files is merged. You have to manually copy the .prefs file (and possibly the other config files too) from the preferences directory to where the executable resides. That fixes the warning on startup.

In this case it was fairly easy, just a few ifdefs and includes hat to be adjusted.

I used the Usenet groups quite extensively in the late 90ies / early 2000s. There was a great sense of community in some of these groups. But gradually, the activity in the groups I used to read started to become less and less as everybody seemed to move to web based forums.

2 Likes

I need obs studio or BeScreencapture have a lot of glitches and cant record the sound or stream video, btw IPFS is a software i really want too.

1 Like

Having a tool that records video and audio from Haiku/not Cam would also be very useful for me?

1 Like

I just tried NewsBe and it compiles and runs fine now.
It seems to be unable to connect to the server,however.
I added all my newsgroups to the .subs file I copied from the preferences folder and they show up in NewsBe,but when trying to refresh news,it logs the following:

Logging...
getting news
calling MakeConnection
could not connect error
All news retrieved

Did you try if your install of NewsBe can successfully make any connections?
Maybe it’s my config or something else,but there’s not much you can do wrong in the config so I believe it could also be a bug in NewsBe.

Exactly the same behaviour here for me. I did not manage to get a successful connection to any NNTP server. I also did not see any possibility to specify a port number for the connection, neither in the config files nor in the program itself.

i need Moi 3D As it works with wine, we will soon have it on HAIKU too.

1 Like

Good to know that it’s not my fault at least.
The log could also be a bit more verbose.
Showing that the connection failed is more helpful than simply doing nothing,but as long as I don’t know why it failed,it’s not that easy to debug it.
Maybe the Nettle library is not compatible with the current network stack anymore as it was last updated more than 5 years ago?
I guess the default port 119 could be hardcoded as nearly every newsserver uses it,but of course it would be nice if it was configurable.

I’d be happy to have WebGL support to get https://www.komoot.com to work. There’s also some issue logging into the site… :biking_man:

I’d be able to do normal day to day stuff a lot easier with updated SMB support - what we have cannot connect to my modern NAS and it has very clunky ways of handling settings

1 Like