Tested hardware

As now i have Haiku installed in a pendrive i can run it easily in any computer so i will report where it is able to run and what principal devices have it at hardware level :slight_smile:
By now:

Graphics Card: ok
Nombre del dispositivo: RV670 [Radeon HD 3690/3850]
Fabricante: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]

Network Card:

LAN: ok
Nombre del dispositivo: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Fabricante: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.

Wifi: ok
Nombre del dispositivo: AR9227 Wireless Network Adapter
Fabricante: Qualcomm Atheros

2 Likes

En NetBook ASUS EeePC 1000H:

Red: OK

Nombre del dispositivo: AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethernet
Fabricante: Qualcomm Atheros

Almacenamiento: OK

Nombre del dispositivo: 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) SATA Controller [IDE mode]
Fabricante: Intel Corporation

Multimedia

Nombre del dispositivo: NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
Fabricante: Intel Corporation OK

Gráficos:

Nombre del dispositivo: Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller
Fabricante: Intel Corporation

Maybe doing some kind of google calc-sheet for this might be useful and have better overview… or a wiki to begin with. Then all people could enter their findings speeding up the process.

I think @lelldorin’s BeSly System Analysis Tool (New Project: BeSly System Analysis Tool (BeSlySAT)) would be a great way to contribute tested hardware information…

1 Like

BeSly please :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fixed, pardon me!

Ah te iba a decir que habiá el besly pero ae ádelantaron sin embárgo es bueno ver hispanohablantes

BeSly SAT = system analysis tool is available on our repository server: http://software.besly.de

Development are stopped because there was not enough feedback and interest by the community. But if people send there data to us we add the hardwareinfo to our project.

The project are not dead, but sleeping and waiting for more interest of a tool like this.

There have been some efforts in the past, e.g. Haiku’s Hardware Configuration Repository, to create an online database for hardware components. Nobody seems to have the stamina to see it through, though…

There’s mmu_man’s HardwareChecker script which may be a nice basis for poking the hardware while running Haiku to somewhat automate the process of reporting. Still the back-end to fill an online database is missing.

I do think a website for such a database is needed. People want to browse for compatibility while not running Haiku. Commenting and rating components may be nice, too.
As usual, much to do, nobody to do it, code, host it, maintain it…

1 Like

This was our plan (besly) but the community does not help enough. To make a Hardware database with 11 entries make no sence. I hoped to get more feedback and the main team of haiku spend some time to send there data to us but nothing happen.

Personally I have little interest in sending data to somewhere where people can’t view it. Get the viewer website started, even with a handful of entries, and then you can get people into the “what? my machine works and it’s not listed there?” mood and they may contribute a little more.

This is not correct. You can watch all collected data with the app himself. The website database was the future project based on the besly sat data.

1 Like

A simple wiki entry would be enough for now. But the content may be generated by an script or a program and copy/pasted to the wiki.
Is dmidecode implemented in haiku?

This model does not make sense. Basic use case is that I want to see if Haiku will support my hardware, so it’s more than likely I don’t have Haiku installed yet. Being a regular user, I wouldn’t bother myself to spin up a VM just to see if my hardware is supported.

EDIT: Another thing: you don’t have 64-bit repo, so I can’t use it on my desktop which has only 64-bit Haiku installed.

I agree with you 100%. but with what you want to create a database page without data listed in this. So we wanted to collect data first and when we get enough data to make an online database.

the program was given before the first 64bit build, so there is currently no version. Also, yab only has been working on haiku 64bit since a very short time and I have not installed a 64bit haiku so far.

it is also very hard to create a haiku external site, which is not official. We notice this at the besly, which had a high priority at zeta times. Many people visited the site to get help, others wrote tutorials or translated them. others corrected the tutorials if they were not properly translated or written.

Today, in times of haiku, almost nobody knows the knowledge base. The life of Haiku takes place only on the Haiku side and scarcely one looks which sides there is still there. This is basically nothing bad, but makes it difficult to establish projects outside the haiku site.

The online database we planned would therefore, in my opinion, only make sense if the core of the Haiku team behind it would have stood. It was announced at the penultimate “Google summer of code” that one would like to test computer and collect the data with BeSlySAT. Unfortunately, this had not happened.

This is the reason why I do not want to invest my spare time in a website about compatible hardware without enough feedback and help. I had hoped at the time that this project started on the side of the Haiu team, which put an official hardware database online and used our (community) collected data.

Yes dmidecode is part of haiku and this data are collected with BeSly SAT too.

but unfortunately this makes no sence without the support of the Haiku team. What is the effect of the page if you do not make use of it.

The Haiku team must be active and involved here. One of the basic ideas of such a database is not only the list of supported hardware, also the location of not supported hardware to make new drivers or bug fixes.

?
If you have a PHP script what is the problem with 11 entries? You set it up once and data just shows up as it is uploaded by people.

I don’t follow you there. Do you expect Haiku team to put up a link to an “in construction” site?

Hey everyone there is going to be something there soon, BTW it’s an independent effort so we don’t know when it does go up and if it doesn’t serve malware.

Show that you have something first, then ask for endorsement.

I think that you believe Haiku devs don’t want to work with you on purpose. That is not the case. It has been said multiple times that the more things community does the better, because the project itself (with its scarce resources) doesn’t have to do it then.

What kind of feedback do you expect on the thing that does not exist yet?

In my opinion the reason your hardware database didn’t take off is low visibility. If you had prepared an easily accessible website, more people would send their data. @PulkoMandy’s post is case in point: he wasn’t even aware you can explore the database, and he wouldn’t send data to a closed one.

The biggest problem I see with your knowledge base is that it looks seriously outdated (so the assumption is content is outdated as well even if that is not true) and that adding new articles is hard.
Correct me if I’m wrong:
I need to send an HTML file to you to get it up on your site? With specific HTML for alerts? And then if there is a mistake I need to contact you again?
That is not easy.
You can argue that git is not easy either but today GitHub offers web editor, so you don’t even have to get out of the browser to add an article to official Haiku site.

Sometimes you need to let go.
Maybe the articles should be migrated to an official site. On the other hand official Haiku site doesn’t feature translations and I don’t think it will nor it should.
Maybe the problem is language specific domain which suggests it is only relevant to German speaking people?
Maybe it doesn’t solve people’s problems anymore?

Link to your site is here: Community Links | Haiku Project. I agree it’s not easy to find, but where should it be then? On the main page? Why not a link to my site in that case?

I think the best course of action here would be to create community run international Haiku site/hub, endorsed by the main project, perhaps using @dwt’s haiku.zone domain. That could be then linked as main source for international resources. This hub could then link to content like news from smaller, language-specific websites, while articles would be hosted directly, and it would promote smaller projects. Official Haiku site is not really a place for that.

That’s a lot of negativity there, I am aware of that. Please don’t get upset :slight_smile: These are just my thoughts what the issues are and how they can be solved.
I don’t intend to drive you off, because your work is needed. You just have wrong attitude about it.
I know that it’s hard to see your personal project die or get absorbed by something bigger.

If you are a good php dev why you does not help us to make it? A big problem is how to add the collected informations into the online data base. Do you have taken a look into the besly sat files? It is not only a text file, it does much more.

Just to clear this up in case it’s misread: We did have tasks for GCI to use BeSlySAT to generate and send off info. There were just no students taking this task… I suspect that the vast majority ran Haiku in a VM and not native.

That aside, I can imagine that many are deterred by how much info they have to fill in. Just hacking one graphics card into a web formular and see it instantly added to the hardware list is much more satisfying.
If you can optionally run some script that uploads the system config, that’s a bonus. However, uncommented, the information gathered may not be that useful, besides maybe statistically to see what hardware is currently widely used.