How do you use Haiku?

http://haiku.kacperkasper.pl/libreoffice.html

4 Likes

I’d like to see QtWeb ported. I use it on my old netbook and it’s pretty amazing.

@johnblood, I use Haiku in an Oracle VM and natively on an Intel i3 3220 desktop. I’ve liked BeOS since v4.5 was released and was disappointed when Be decided to change its focus to Internet Appliances.

I’ve recently returned to the BeOS/Haiku scene. I originally left BeOS because the web browser became too obsolete. A web browser is the primary App that I use, and it was nice to discover that WebPositive works fairly well and even has some Java support now. To me a killer App is a current web browser.

In a virtual machine, mostly. I have a few open source works in progress that I want to work on everything, Haiku included (and most likely Windows excluded because it just has to be the special snowflake of OSes and I’m not rewriting half of my programs just for it).
I have played around with Haiku on real hardware though, running a full install from USB on my laptop (which worked surprisingly well). I’d probably use it more if I had an old Thinkpad or something to spare.

The OS has a long way to go before it can replace macOS or Linux on my machine, but it’s interesting. WebPositive works pretty well but Safari still wins by a mile so my browsing still takes place in macOS. And I haven’t gotten around to see if Python 3 works on Haiku so I still do that in macOS or Linux

I run Haiku exclusively on bare metal for most of my routine desktop situations such as light web browsing, IRC, and listening to music streams. My desktop is a fairly meager machine from 2006 but it’s been customized to be as silent as possible. I’ve only been using Haiku for a few months now but it has been very enjoyable. For me it is computing for the sake of relaxing. The killer app for me would have to be Vision, I really love IRC and it is a good client.

I use it on my old laptop Samsung N150. It used to run smooth, but recently it started working slow and there are many errors. I like Haiku as it fills the gap between high performance but non-user friendly OS and sluggish but user friendly. I would be so happy if it would get more popular.
At the same time, I hate MS, especially their support, so much, that I would do everything to stop using their products.
Unfortunately, Haiku is still too unstable to use it as a daily driver and has too many bugs.

Works quite well for me… Please report bugs at the bugtracker.

1 Like

I just mess around with it in Virtualbox. I would use it as my daily driver on my laptop if it had more applications.

What applications you need? Maybe there are those somewhere…

Well probably the program I use most on my laptop is Autodesk Inventor, and that will probably never be ported over.

No, that is unlikely to be ported. But we do have some things for you to try out.

LibreCAD: https://depot.haiku-os.org/#!/pkg/librecad_x86/haikuports/2/0/7/-/1/x86_gcc2?bcguid=bc191-EQTM

Caduntu: https://depot.haiku-os.org/#!/pkg/caduntu/clasqm/1/0/b4/-/4/x86_gcc2?bcguid=bc2-BKUG

FidoCAD: https://depot.haiku-os.org/#!/pkg/fidocadj_j/clasqm/0/24/7/-/1/x86_gcc2?bcguid=bc2-QMUW

I use Haiku on an old Pentium III because Linux (with graphics) bogs down too much on it (unless I use an extremely old version of Linux).

I also use it on a more recent AMD 64 machine (3 GHz, N-68 ASUS motherboard). It works well on the AMD machine, which normally runs FreeBSD. What’s nice about Haiku is that I can boot it via a CD or USB image very snappily for a quick internet session, and not expose (very much) my underlying HD based OS.

Web+ can try the edges of my patience level on some sites, but it does just fine on forums. So, typically I’ll quick-boot it for a peek at a forum. Some time ago I moved the machine to a place where the ethernet cable doesn’t reach. So, I was not on Haiku for a while. Finally, I bought an old NetGear, Atheros chipset based PCI wireless WiFi card (WPN-311, circa 1999) - for pretty cheap, and so can use Haiku again from the remote machine (what I’m using right now).

Have used JOSM (open street maps) on Haiku, and Scribbus. It’s also a handy tool for putting a new partition table on a drive, and for creating partitions (which I may later use for non-Haiku purposes). So, Haiku has a few niche uses for me (and internet almost every day).

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll try those CAD programs out.

I run Haiku in both VirtualBox on my Debian desktop and on bare metal, using an old IBM ThinkPad T42 with 2GB RAM and a 32GB SSD. Haiku boots and runs super fast on it, and I’m using nightly builds on it, putting it through the paces with some light web browsing and the occasional game or two thrown onto it.

While most of my use is hobbyist, I’m also exploring alternative OSes and weighing strengths and weaknesses, as well as researching operating system design and infrastructure. Besides being a predominant Linux user, I’ve also explored the BSDs, as well as running the AmigaOS-like MorphOS and AROS.

1 Like

I’d probably use Haiku for webcam monitoring, but it seems codi-cam doesn’t see my USB/MJPEG webcam. Is there an alternative?

The problem is not CodyCam, which works fine, it’s the underlying driver. Hence, no alternative as no other drivers are available (otherwise we would just include the working ones).
CodyCam can work with some non-standard webcams, but not with the very common UVC ones, someone has to fix that driver someday.

I think most cheap UVC cameras output MJPEG (just a series of jpegs in a stream). So, wouldn’t that be pretty easy to implement? Guess there are other priorities above that tho …

There is already a driver for UVC webcams, but it has problem at lower levels than getting the frames out of the camera. Possibly at the USB stack level.
I think it can also trigger problems in the media server.

Of course, once you can reliably extract the video stream from the camera, no matter the format, you just feed it to the Media Kit. But you need to get to that stream first.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Tested hardware

I’ve tried using Haiku in several moments, I really like Haiku, but it lacks a browser like Chrome.