Tested hardware

Two reasons:

1. I have a long list of ideas I’d like to make a reality and with each finished project this list gets longer.
  2. You just wrote you don’t want to spend your own time on your project. Why should I spend mine?

But you have a database online already. You just need to show it. Then you can worry about automating the upload process if it’s really that cumbersome.

I didn’t see any binaries there? Where is the issue?

1. I have a list like you too
  2. I does not say i will not spend my own time into my projects, i say that i does not want to spend so much time into a project the people does not want or give not enough feedback (i like inspiration and motivation)
  3. i never say that i am a php dev .
  1. i never say that i have a hardware database online.
  1. Who say anything about binaries in the database? BeSlySAT is a program written in yab and stores the database files into separated folders, they are ziped into a archive. The folder included text files of “ifconfig”, “dmidecode”, “uname”… to store system informations for the developers of haiku to have a chance to fix bugs or create new drivers and a text file with the information the user tyed in the mask, because you does not can automate the feelig and expirience of the user.

2. I have no expirience in php, only my BeSly team member and friend can do it. I develop some things in yab (if i have time), i writing tutorials, help other users in the forum and do bug reports then ever i found a bug using haiku on direct hardware.

Thanks to clear this misstake.

I understand it, but hardware is pending on other hardware and not alle hardware will be work with other. It was my thinking that we need not only “this grafic card is running”, we need more info. Not only for other people, for devs also. How to make drivers or bug fixes without detailed informatins by the user. Only the user can say that happend during the work with haiku. But yes it is a problem that many useing only Haiku in VM.

The thinking behind it is that the haiku team should part of this project. A project over the haiku webaddress and not a external website.

Yes it is a old website, alive sience 2004. It included articles and tutorials for BeOS, Zeta and Haiku. In germany the operator of a website is responsible for their content, so we accept the tutorials only as mail to us. The info boxes must not set in the tutorials, if the writer want them to use he need to use the templates.

But no panic, the besly is not a dead website and we are working on a new “haiku only” version of it today. We have not so much time beside family and work but we do it.

This refers generally to external sites and should not mean that on the haiku page a
banner appears “hey at least visit the besly”.

[quote=“KapiX, post:18, topic:6127”]That’s a lot of negativity there, I am aware of that. Please don’t get upset :slight_smile: These are just my thoughts what the issues are and how they can be solved.I don’t intend to drive you off, because your work is needed. You just have wrong attitude about it.I know that it’s hard to see your personal project die or get absorbed by something bigger.
[/quote]

If I would react like this every time I would be gone. BeSly SAT was always meant to serve an official haiku project at the end. An official hardware database.

but how do you prevent the missing entries or intentional wrong entries made there? in a wiki anyone can write and change.

Wiki editing can be allowed only for registered users. If wiki setting is in this way.

This is correct but people want to add there hardware data by themself. And how to include a entry manager to add hardware data. This much more as a simple wiki.

The Haiku core team cannot possibly follow and support everything. We even have trouble keeping our own stuff running. So, you can’t expect “the core team” to come and magically solve all problems. To get something working and popular just takes a lot of effort, no matter if it’s the core team or someone else doing it.

Both the BeSly website and this compatibility info dashboard are things that can perfectly be done by people outside the core team. And it allows to share responsibilities and workload accross more people, which is a good thing.

Once you have the website up and running, setting up a DNS redirect at hardware.haiku-os.org is something the Haiku tema can do. But if there is no website to point to, they can’t do it.

As for information needed by developers, that should still go in trac tickets. The hardware database would only track what works and what doesn’t, but not the “why”, which is the interesting part for devs.

1 Like

At first entries can be added by hand and edited later if needed.You must only create some organized template for entries.

I like them too but, though it sounds corny, they have to come from within. You can’t expect random people to cheer or work for you just because you have an idea. And if you don’t believe in your project enough to invest your time, why do you think other people will?

Let me give you an example. Koder is already a usable product, and yet I don’t see too many contributions. That is fine. I work on it because I need it and because I find it fun.
Maybe other people don’t have time. Maybe they don’t know how they can help. Maybe they don’t share my vision or/and they use other editors, so they don’t care. Maybe they don’t want it at all and think Haiku would be better without it. I don’t know.

My main goal is to have LibreOffice ported (so Haiku can be more usable) and I wrote Koder to facilitate that. Now I need to add missing features to Scintilla port (because no one else will), support Koder (because no one else will) and work on the port itself (because no one else will). Still, I don’t go around complaining people don’t want to help me (and that is how you come across, at least to me).

It would be completely different if you created a topic saying “I have this idea but I don’t have the skills necessary, can you help me? I can offer this and this and that.” Second part is mandatory and it usually is money. If it’s not there, it’s not reasonable to expect people to help. If it is there and people still don’t want to help - tough luck, you’re on your own, nobody owes you anything.

You instead go on and on about those bad Haiku devs who don’t want to help you. That does not inspire and motivate people. People like inspiration and motivation.

I got the update from somewhere, wasn’t that your server?

Then it should be fairly easy to work with them.

PHP is the easiest solution for web scripting. Scripts are easy to deploy, language not that hard to learn. If you could learn yab, you can learn PHP. The question is if you want to invest your time in it. If you won’t, nobody else will. (Not having time is not a valid argument, exactly because I understand how it is to not have time.)

Your solution doesn’t have to be rock solid and super secure. It should exist. That’s all. Maybe then some people will step up and say “Hey, that is cool, but I can see it needs a little polish. Can I help?”

2 Likes

Well, as a vim user, I probably won’t switch to Koder, but still, thanks for taking the time to fill in that gap in the Haiku software ecosystem, it’s much appreciated :slight_smile:

Hello everyone. The Besly looks really old, that’s true. At the time, when we started the project, we have learned also html and at that time the implementation (CSS, JavaScript, etc) on the part of the browser was not necessarily the same, therefore we had us on a minimum of html (JavaScript, etc) within the Team understanding. We wanted to ensure that the Web site with any browser works.

Now to the hardware database.

The database should be to expand not only showing that E.g. a NVIDIA graphics card works, but what model exactly in the computer is installed, so that someone else can use this information as the driver. Therefore, it is to collect many useful information about the PC and to spend a meaningful list. This however requires information on the part of the developer, what information is required to program the drivers. Then that list also not too large and unreadable.

If all people run haiku on a VM, me the question arises, who needs even then drivers? The next question is then, why do you need haiku if it does not work directly on the hardware?

Greetings lorglas

I think, misunderstandin my words should the problem. You read that i does not want to work on my ideas, other should do that. Thats totally incorrect. I only say that i does not have fun to make a project like besly sat alone. I need the feedback and teamwork by the community. The devs are part of the community too.

Besly sat is a project for the community and nothing i need for to make my projects on haiku. So if not enough people have fun to help me by collecting hardwaredata i does not have motivation for the next step. Thats all.

[quote=“KapiX, post:30, topic:6127”]Let me give you an example. Koder is already a usable product, and yet I don’t see too many contributions. That is fine. I work on it because I need it and because I find it fun.Maybe other people don’t have time. Maybe they don’t know how they can help. Maybe they don’t share my vision or/and they use other editors, so they don’t care. Maybe they don’t want it at all and think Haiku would be better without it. I don’t know
[/quote]

I know this on my IDEs too, but i make them for my self and give it to tge community if someone like to use it too.

[quote=“KapiX, post:30, topic:6127”]It would be completely different if you created a topic saying “I have this idea but I don’t have the skills necessary, can you help me? I can offer this and this and that.” Second part is mandatory and it usually is money. If it’s not there, it’s not reasonable to expect people to help. If it is there and people still don’t want to help - tough luck, you’re on your own, nobody owes you anything
[/quote]

Again that is not correct. You say php is easy and i should do the online database with it. I does not have the skill to do it, so i create the yab app besly sat and collect data they are included using the update function in the app… Not a database online, only text files.

I does not understand why people read every time negative. I only say that it would be fine or better i wish to get help from the devs after they talk about using besly sat for gsoc in the mailing list.

1 Like

Php to learn is easy to learn if one understand c or cpp. I does not understand c or cpp or php. Thats not my languages.

Hi, another point is, not all data what we collect with besly sat is important to solve problems with hardware/driver. So we must get information what a developer need to develop driver or to solve problems. then it make sense to create a Webside with this informations.

And it has been told multiple times that developers have other things to take care of. Like contributing code and keeping Haiku alive. Yet you bring this up over and over again.

There are so many blog platforms in PHP that make not using a database their main selling point. They use plain text files to store the data.

That’s not true. PHP may look similar to them, if you believe that having curly braces or semicolons at the end means language is C/C+±like. PHP is a scripting language. That in itself makes it significantly different from C/C++. Just like Perl, Python and YAB.

Nobody requires you to understand classes right away or learn them at all. Does YAB have variables? It does. Does it have functions? It does. PHP has them too and they work more or less the same.

Did you even try? Did you put in an honest effort?

Your problem is you refuse to learn and try new things. Attitude.

At this point I am tired by this conversation, and I think I gave you enough pointers how to make your project happen. Take them or leave them.

One thing can be said for sure: writing one more time that you wish Haiku developers would help you does not make you any favors.

I honestly think you’re getting ahead of yourselves. It’s supposed to be a compatibility database, not a bug tracker/chat service. Start small.

For this the hardware itself is needed.

This requires an active communication between the developer and owner of the hardware. Sometimes one person is both.

I don’t see how your site fits into these.

I get it, you don’t want to learn php. But you do know yab, and you have access to the data returned by your app. Use yab to format a flat html page with the data and throw it up on the web site. This is all you need to get the attention of users who might in turn give you more information.

I haven’t given you info on all of my hardware that does work because it doesn’t end up on-line anywhere. I’m sure I am not alone.