Tested hardware

How many people can’t just list the hardware they have and say what works? I know I have several systems that mostly work, if not entirely.

The odd thing is it seems that some older stuff no longer works and newer stuff does. Kinda a moving target.

That’s the problem when you don’t establish a “baseline platform”. And with an OS designed to work with tons of different hardware, that’s the eternal problem.

That’s why PC versions of arcade games or consoles (I’ll use the example of Sega’s Ecco the Dolphin) are usually so lack-luster.

Ecco used to run beautifully on an 8MHz 68000-based Sega Genesis. But REQUIRED a 66MHz Pentium-based PC. Just sad, really. When you have a standardized set of hardware to code for (Sega Genesis), you can optimize code to work best with it, but if you have a random arrangement of hardware (PC), how can you optimize hardly ANYTHING? The CPU is about the ONLY thing that would be even remotely standard… Intel or AMD. But what about the myriad VERSIONS of those two brands? It gets insane.

Yes i try several times and i found no logical in it. Not my languages.

Yes thats right, let us close this discussion

That would basically mean we would work like MorphOS or Apple: if you want to try the OS, you need to buy compatible hardware first. As a result the barrier to entry would raise, and people would just not bother.

We have to deal with computers as they are. Diverse and moving target themselves. We can only rely on our community of users to report problems as they come and go, and some people are doing great work at that: keeping old machines around to test new versions of drivers, etc.

If you want a common reference platform to emerge, your only way is to buy a dozen of machines and give them to Haiku devs. They may be interested and take time to write drivers for it. Or you could hire someone to do the porting and support, outside of Haiku. Which may even end up being cheaper, actually, as getting things running on a single machine is usually not too hard if you have access to it.

2 Likes

There was a problem with screen visualization in ASUS EEEPC1000H where by default it was showing an buggy vertical rectangle in the right side of screen.
But now, in recents buolds it is ok.

Intel GMA (i945GME) HSD 10" con 118 dpi a 1024x600, 32 bits por pixel y 60 Hz.

Also integrated Ralink wifi is working OK.