Help translating applications with Polyglot

Connecting developers with people that speak a different language and would like to help translating the GUI of an application used to be quite a hassle. Translators had to download and edit so-called “catkeys” text files and upload them again somewhere.
Developers had to manage all those xx.catkeys for different languages which made changing or adding text in the GUI a drag, especially when the number of translations grew…

After a failed attempt to use Haiku’s Pootle site for that, we have now a shiny new, nicely working tool for it:

Kacper Kasper’s Polyglot.

It’s already working perfectly well, though it’s still being improved and polished. You’ll need a GitHub account to log in at this time.
Contact me via PM or email to get the necessary permissions.

Go there now, have a look at the help page and start translating! :slight_smile:

i’m sorry @humdinger
what do you mean …

After a failed attempt to use Haiku’s Pootle site
… it is mean haiku pootle site not working?

btw… i try to reach Kacper’s poligot…

[quote=“mazbrili, post:3, topic:6548”]

After a failed attempt to use Haiku’s Pootle site

… it is mean haiku pootle site not working?[/quote]

It’s working for the Haiku project that’s managed there (at least mostly, I think the automatic import of changed catkeys still doesn’t work, I’m not sure).

No, I meant that a while back I tried adding another project “3rd party apps” to that pootle site. But it turned out that whenever I added a new project, or tried to update the catkeys of an existing project, things went horribly wrong. I documented this error-prone manual process at the now obsolete wiki page.

Polyglot seems to be online (here and now). What’s not working for you, mazbrili?

It’s working for the Haiku project that’s managed there (at least mostly, I think the automatic import of changed catkeys still doesn’t work, I’m not sure).

oh… i seem i just misunderstand about your post @humdinger

Polyglot seems to be online (here and now). What’s not working for you, mazbrili?

i try poliglot… it seem nice … i would like to help translating to my mother languange (indonesian)
but since my lack of time and knowledge… maybe i just can little do translation

as i mentioned above … seem polyglot work well …no problem when i try my github account to login…

The site SSL certifcate is considered as invalid:
It’s Common Name (CN) is declared as *.usermd.net, which doesn’t match with i18n.kacperkasper.pl.

Could Kacper Kasper fix this issue? Meanwhile, one have to add SSL exception to access the site.

I have never advertised the site as HTTPS Enabled, but adding a Let’s Encrypt certificate was just 2 clicks, so it should be fine now :slight_smile:

EDIT: if anyone has problems accessing Polyglot, clear your browser cache and restart, because I borked a 301 redirect the first time, when trying to route all requests to HTTPS.

Hello. I can enter into the site, but when select one of the different apps available from the list, I get the message: “Whoops, looks like something went wrong.”

The same thing happens here. Tried in both Chrome on Fedora 25 and in QupZilla on Haiku.

I created a ticket at Polyglot’s issue tracker.

Should be fixed now. I really need to write those unit tests…

I could translate your applications to Spanish if you are willing to pay me a few bucks, such as $2 or $3 per project, specially if it’s closed source/non-free software. I’d translate or update translations when needed.

I am a Spanish translator for the Haiku core, but I’m low both on time and money.