Catkeys translators needed for 3rd party apps

Summary

Help or get help localizing applications

With the arrival of KapiX’ Polyglot, this thread is now retired.

Please see the new topic Help translating applications with Polyglot if you want to help translating or are a developer and would like to see your apps being translated to more languages.

Hello everyone!

This thread is supposed to connect developers with people that speak a different language and would like to help translate the GUI strings of an application. Please keep this thread clean with request/submission posts from devs/users and open a separate thread for any other discussion or questions. Thanks!

The developer

There's an article "Localizing an application" if you're unfamiliar with Haiku's system of localization.

A developer requesting a translation should provide:

• App name
  • Weblink / Repo link
  • Already available translations
  • A link to the en.catkeys file (can be pasted via the form at sprunge.us, which keeps the important whitespace (space, tab) contrary to e.g. pastebin.com)

When you've received a translated catkeys file, you should open it in a text editor and replace the "English" of the top line to whatever the translated language is.
Don't forget to update your request post with the newly available translation.

The translator

You should install CatKeysEditor with the HaikuDepot app.

Get the en.catkeys file provided by the developer and rename it using the usual two-letter language code of the translation you are going to provide, e.g. 'fr.catkeys' for French.

Open your catkeys file in the CatKeysEditor and do your translation. Note: It's always a good idea to have the app you localize running while translating. You'll see where a string appears in the GUI and can sometimes figure in the layout of the app when choosing your words.

When you're done, send your translated catkeys file to the app's developer, or paste it via the form at sprunge.us, which keeps the important whitespace (space, tab) contrary to e.g. pastebin.com, and link to it from a comment.

If you feel up to it, try to work directly with the catkeys of the project's repo and submit a pull-request as described in the post Contributing via pull requests.

Requests

I'll add all requested translations in this section. That way, they're always on top. Also look out for "**--- UPDATES needed ---**".

BePDF
Repo at GitHub / Entry in HaikuDepot
Catkeys:
en, de
ja - Thanks mt!
uk - Thanks Lan72!

BurnItNow
Catkeys:
en, de
es - Thanks un_spacyar! — UPDATES needed —
uk - Thanks Lan72! — UPDATES needed —

CatKeysEditor
Catkeys:
en, de, nl
ro - Thanks Emrys!
uk - Thanks Lan72!

Clipdinger
Catkeys:
en, de,
ru - Thanks Akujiism and Diver!
ro - Thanks Emrys!
uk - Thanks Lan72!

Einsteinium (see Brian’s Wiki for more help on translations)
Catkeys:

• Daemon: en, de
  • Launcher: en, de
  • Preferences: en, de

• Filer
    Catkeys:
    en, en_GB, de,
    fr - Thanks Phoudoin!
    it - Thanks Giovanni!
    nl - Thanks Begasus!
    uk - Thanks Lan72!

LnLauncher
    Repo at Bitbucket / Entry in HaikuDepot
    Catkeys:
    en, de, fr, ru
    uk - Thanks Lan72!

ProjectConceptor
    Repo at GitHub / Alpha download
    Catkeys:

• Main application: en
  • GraphEditor plugin: en
  • NavigatorEditor plugin: en

• QuickLaunch
    Catkeys:
    en, en_GB, de,
    es - Thanks un_spacyar!
    fr - Thanks Anarchos!
    it - Thanks Barrett!
    ja - Thanks mt!
    nl - Thanks puckipedia!
    pl - Thanks KapiX!
    ru - Thanks Akujiism!
    uk - Thanks Lan72!

UberTuber
    Catkeys:
    en, de,
    es - Thanks un_spacyar!
    pl - Thanks KapiX!
    ru - Thanks Akujiism!
    uk - Thanks Lan72!

Weather
    Catkeys:
    en, de
    es- Thanks un_spacyar! — UPDATES needed —
    uk- Thanks Lan72!

PL catkeys:

Some original strings are mangled for some reason. I am not really sure why.

ja.catkeys:

It seems ‘Ignore these files & folders (and their subfolders):’ can’t be displayed correctly in app.

Thanks mt!

With “app”, do you mean the CatKeysEditor, or QuickLaunch?
    It seems to work OK (in both apps) for en and nl…

Regards,
    Humdinger

Hi, humdinger

QuickLaunch 0.9.9-1 displays ‘Ignore these folders (and their subfolders):’, not ‘Ignore these files & folders (and their subfolders):’. Did you change string ?
    Screenshot → http://www.jade.dti.ne.jp/~murai/haiku/QuickLaunch.png

Ah. Indeed, these catkeys are for the upcoming release. With it, you’ll be able to ignore specific files, not just folders (and their subfolders). This became necessary, because many of the now available ports “pollute” the formerly easily ignored /bin folder… To make this more convenient, I added a context menu so things can be easily added to the ignore list.
    I’m just waiting with the release a bit longer for more translations to roll in… :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Humdinger

I added a new app in the top post: Clipdinger

Hey, this thread isn’t intended just for my personal apps… anyone else with apps that need localizations? :slight_smile:

Also, the next release of QuickLaunch sports a context menu. This added one more sentence that has to be translated also for the already available languages.

Regards,
    Humdinger

I added a new entry to the top post: BePDF

BePDF has seen some big improvments lately: use of xpdf 3.02, vector icons, layout management…
    Now we need all the translations anew. Please help!

Regards,
    Humdinger

@Humdinger, are ENG source files provided here still up-to-date? What about catceys file for Filer app?

Hi Akuji,

the catkeys all point to the master branch of their projects. That way they should always be uptodate.
    Filer isn’t yet localized. Mainly because the rule edit window isn’t using Haiku’s layout management (see issue #9) and, I think, the way those rule buttons are handled and how the actions/tests are stored prevents translation. Same bad design as Haiku’s Shortcuts preferences, IIRC.

Regards,
    Humdinger

I could need some translational (and maybe bug reporting) help :slight_smile:
    ProjectConceptor (Alpha)

Repo can be found at: https://github.com/Paradoxianer/ProjectConceptor

At the moment i only have english available
    en.catkeys files can be found here:
    Main App: https://github.com/Paradoxianer/ProjectConceptor/blob/master/src/app/locales/en.catkeys
    GraphEditor Plugin: https://github.com/Paradoxianer/ProjectConceptor/blob/master/src/plugins/GraphEditor/locales/en.catkeys
    NavigatorEditor Plugin: https://github.com/Paradoxianer/ProjectConceptor/blob/master/src/plugins/NavigatorEditor/locales/en.catkeys

for the context of the translation you can take a look a the alpha version here:
    https://github.com/Paradoxianer/ProjectConceptor/raw/master/release/ProjectConceptor-x86_gcc2-debug-532.hpkg

Hi Paradoxon!

You may want to consider converting all strings to sentence-casing (e.g. “Replace All” -> “Replace all”), as that’s what’s used everywhere else in Haiku. Remember: every changed string results in a new checksum in the catkeys file and you’ll have to change all the translations…

Regards,
    Humdinger

Hello! I could do the translation to spanish.

Wow That would be great … can you wait at least one or two days … so that i can
    adjust the catkeys to what humdinger said :). That would be great.

Of course, no problem! I will wait for the new HPKG.

Here is the new HPGK :wink: https://github.com/Paradoxianer/ProjectConceptor/raw/master/release/ProjectConceptor-x86_gcc2-debug-554.hpkg
    The catfiles can be found under the same linke like mentioned above :wink:

Working on that! :slight_smile:

Just two dumb questions:

The catkeys for GraphEditor and NavigatorEditor are complete? (probably I’m wrong, but I think that previous version had more lines).

The language code for ‘spanish’ is ‘es’ or ‘sp’?

Thank you!

[quote=un_spacyar]Working on that! :slight_smile:

[/quote]

is es.

However, a good reminder is here: http://www.lingoes.net/en/translator/langcode.htm :slight_smile:

[quote=un_spacyar]Working on that! :slight_smile:

Just two dumb questions:

The catkeys for GraphEditor and NavigatorEditor are complete? (probably I’m wrong, but I think that previous version had more lines).

Thank you![/quote]

I checked with the old version… it had the same number of lines :slight_smile:

Two small errors in your english catkey for the main application.

Line 13: Coud > Could
    Line 28: Cant > Can’t

Otherwise, Thank you for creating a useful application.