Help translating applications with Polyglot

Could someone please add ThemeManager to Polyglot?

I logged in but it shows me this message:

You donā€™t have permissions to translate anything. They are required to do anything, until suggestions are implemented. See Help for translators for information.

I have translated a few apps, but I feel it takes to long to see results of that work in place. For me, as a user, even though I can be pretty comfortable with English, having an application in my own language counts as a new and significant feature, one that improves overall experience and usability. In my opinion, an application should not have to wait several months or years for other unrelated code changes in order to a new language be made available as an update. :wink:

A release is always up to a projectā€™s dev/maintainer. You can maybe get to a new release quicker by filing an issue at the projectā€™s tracker pointing out there are new translations finished at Polyglot.
The chances improve further if you mention that you could help with the release and offer to create a pull-request with the needed changes (e.g. add the language in the makefile, import the new/updated catkeys, increase minor version in the .rdef, update documentation/history etc.).

The locale kit also allows 3rd party distribution of the locale files. So you can download them from polyglot (I think?) and install them locally, or update it to some website or here in the forums to share with others.

Itā€™s also great for betatesting your translation in real life.

1 Like

Hi I am translating Thai on Pootle Translation Server. Should I move to work on Thai translation here, or keep working on Pootle Translation Serve?

Hello @sompon. Pootle Translation Server is for translating the operative system (Haiku) and the applications included with it.

On the other side, Polyglot is for translation of several third-party apps, that are not included in Haiku itself.

Neither replace the other one. Each platform had her own target.

Hope this can answer your question :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Understood. Thanks for your quick reply.

So How do I get access? It only point to this forum :slight_smile:

//Fredrik

To get acess to Polyglot, you need an Github account.

I have and I have logged ligger in with it. But it still telling me that I donā€™t have access and feed an admin to gives me access.

Contact @humdinger by Private Message to get permissions.

Dear @humdinger, I would like to contribute in order to translate from english to spanish

Regards

Hey. I was logged out of my account (not created with Github) and when I wanted to log in again, I couldnā€™t do it because it seems that Github login became the only and mandatory way to sign in. I donā€™t want to lose track of all of my contributions. What should I do?

Surprising, I thought that a GitHub account has always been mandatory to get access to Polyglot.
You should contact @humdinger via PM.

@starcrasher is correct, Polyglot never allowed creating accounts without GitHub, so you had to use one.

My account never had a Github account attached to it. Otherwise, it would appear in my Github profile settings as an application to I logged in.

It should appear in settings of your GitHub account on Applications panel on Authorized OAuth Apps tab.

I want to help with translation to Esperanto on Polyglot. Can you give me access? Iā€™m already registered. My email ā€œanimatorzpolski@gmail.comā€.

Done. Thanks!

1 Like