Haiku in media

You may have a look at
https://www.linux-community.de/ausgaben/linuxuser/2022/02/beos-nachbau-haiku-im-ueberblick/

3 Likes

Thanks,that seems to be the full article of the print edition,so need to buy the whole magazine anymore :slight_smile:

A problem that would be solved by taking one minute of time to look at our excellent user guide. Something that seems to be beyond the capabilities of most reviewers. Also applies to their statement of “you can only find the web browser if you know that it is called WebPositive”.

That said I think the main question we are facing in this regard is: Do we give in to this behavior and “dumb down” the interface (putting “Click here to find the applications” on top of Deskbar, renaming the core applications to exactly what they do, eg. Tracker → File Manager, WebPositive → Web Browser) or do we stay on track and just live with the criticism. I am leaning more to the second option myself.

1 Like

Discover ability should be a prominent ui feature. The leaf being mistaken for a leaf is also, problematic.

Probably should be adressed

1 Like

Live with the criticism. Even Internet Explorer is no more. What does something called “Edge” should do ?

One idea that just ocurred to me, while installing one of the nightlies : would a desktop background during the install, darker then the normal so not to distract from the install dialog, but showing the Tracker menu expanded ( and only it, no other icons on the desktop ) help in part of the cases ?

Also, people that are trying to do a review of something should try to learn and understand that something, instead of complaining because it is not the same as some other thing they prefer.

3 Likes

The thing with the user guide is that people just don’t seem to find it, even though it is right there on the desktop. I think the best way to address this would be by offering a quick visual wizard-type tour on first launch, similar to how Apple introduces new features.

A version of that concept could be implemented very easily with a basic message box at first launch saying “Welcome to Haiku! Would you like a quick tour of the system? You can always view it later by double clicking the icon on the desktop.”. If the user clicks “View Now”, it would launch the quick start guide in the browser.

As for Tracker and WebPositive, I think so far every reviewer has ultimately figured them out without too much effort, which unfortunately cannot be said of the application menu.

Just making a button say what it actually does can hardly be called dumbing down the interface. But it would dramatically improve clarity. I’d say the best user guide is the one the user never needs to read.

The only application I would really consider renaming would be PoorMan. Calling it “PoorMan Webserver” would make its purpose immediately obvious. Some reviewers could not figure out what it is supposed to do, even after launching it and playing with its settings. Most other programs are usually fine in that regard.

1 Like

I always wondered, why we do’t have a hey open deskbarmenu like command in the first boot script?

2 Likes

There is a quick tour and userguide icon on the desktop. If people don’t click there, guess what they will do with the quick tour window? My guess is they will go “I know this, it’s a UNIX system!”, close the window, and start messing around. Especially video reviewers who really want to do “I know what I’m doing and I’ll show you guys” type of videos, and not “I just sit there for an hour reading the user manual of an operating system”.

Video reviews are not the same thing as normal users getting their hands on the system. The fix for better video reviews is making a press kit with some help for reviewers (here’s the things to take care of in setting up your VM so you don’t run into network problems, here’s how to start apps, here is a few cool features to show). And also don’t forget to “roast” these people in their youtube comments (kindly and politely of course) so they don’t do such a mistake again.

We can also improve the user interface, of course, but it doesn’t have to be so dramatic. Subtle changes like a little arrow/triangle on the leaf button could do a lot already.

5 Likes

When it comes to the user guide, I fear that they genuinely just overlook the desktop icon or ignore it since there is just so much new stuff to take in, or ignore it expecting a lengthy tech manual. It doesn’t really strike me as a conscious decision to ignore it, more like people being used to there being a lot of random default stuff on their Windows desktops.

If it’s really them actively ignoring the icon to prove how smart they are, then I’m afraid they probably won’t really look at a press kit either,

Perhaps the first time the desktop is started on release builds, the Quick Tour should be automatically opened.

3 Likes

To make people lesrn faster where webpostives quit button is?

The firstbootprompt already mentions the quicktour iirc, if people dont even read that small snipper they will hardly read the quick tour.

I would remove the bebook from release builds, and change the deskbar Icon/UI slightly to make it more noticeable as a menu.

Other than that, why not do some grandmother testing? I did that once and deskbar was not that much of a problem but the german locale removing translated application names plus the untranslated deskbar folders made the system unusable.

1 Like

Why do we have to have the same discussions over and over again? First search the forum and then inform, then write something.

March 2021: Making the QuickTour even more visible - Development / OS - Haiku Community (haiku-os.org)
Dezember 2021: A “Welcome” App for Haiku - Ideas - Haiku Community (haiku-os.org)
November 2017: Haiku needs a welcome app - Ideas - Haiku Community (haiku-os.org)

Here we go again :wink:

5 Likes

It’s presumably because those discussions inevitably fizzle out and become forgotten until the next video or article where the reviewer can’t find the application menu/never finds stack&tile/any number of other issues that crop up over and over, all of which could be helped by auto-opening the quick tour on first boot or making some minor UI tweaks.

1 Like

We can talk about it then we release the first R1 and not for a beta. There is no one who have the time to manage this at the moment. There are enough other problems around.

2 Likes

Maybe people could discuss how to improve the quality of the reviewers , instead.

Maybe the “grandma test” could show some places for improvement, but some self-called reviewer of an operating system that do not try to automatically click on the only thing in the screen that is not obviously an icon ?

We need articles of people wh know Haiku and then explain how to use the system. And not only newbees

2 Likes

Exactly like that.

The discussion don’t fizzle, they reach a conclusion that someones needs to do something about it, and then nothing is done. Re doing the discussion step everytime doesn’t get us any further. What we need is someone to submit a patch.

4 Likes

It’s not a bad thing to continue discussing relevant issues. Just because no one has time to submit a patch doesn’t mean it’s not still valuable to have conversations about it, especially since different options/ideas can be brought up each time.

A very nice tutorial, video, about Haiku in VirtualBox from “The Retro Dev”:

In this video we will be installing Haiku inside of VirtualBox plus taking a quick look around the operating system.

1 Like