Haiku needs a welcome app

One of the things I do in my spare time is install Linux distros and review them. One thing I noticed is that many have an application that runs after install to help new users get started. One of the best examples I have seen is Manjaro Hello. I think if Haiku had something similar it would help new users to get started quicker. It could have a section for frequently asked questions and solutions to common problems. I would recommend having the information stored locally instead of linking to a webpage, in case the user has trouble connecting to the web.

Below is a screenshot of Manjaro Hello.

2 Likes

Sounds like a GSOC project :slight_smile:

Or this can be your project starting program in yab :slight_smile:

1 Like

We made a “welcome” web page which is the default start page for WebPositive and also linked from the Desktop. It is browsable offline. However, I’m not sure we include this in the nightly images, it may be only in the stable releases.

Do we need to make this a native app, or is a webpage enough?

1 Like

Well, to be honest, it would probably be best to have a native app. After all, when I first started playing around with Haiku, I did know that WebPositive was the browser. In fact, I didn’t know what any of the apps did, so I started opening each one.

Maybe, I’ll do what @lelldorin suggested and do it as my first yab project. :slight_smile:

The releases comes with preinstalled multilanguage User guide linked to the Desktop.
The nightly builds doest due its size.
You can get hovewer from Depot.

This is an good idea. Your project would not be a part of Haiku by default, because it is written in yab, but a good project to learn develop in yab.

1 Like

Sounds like a good idea. YAB wouldn’t be that useful here, though, as it’s not present by default. Maybe even just a (local) web page would do, though, as I don’t think it would have to much computing. I guess it would be in the ‘launch’ folder so it would appear automatically at startup.

As well as pointing to WebPositive, it should explain HaikuDepot, and tell how to get the User Guide from there. What else? A short list of useful apps, maybe. And of course a link to the forum!

1 Like

Let me repeat myself :slight_smile:

This page: Welcome to Haiku!
Is available locally in release builds (not in nightlies) and is linked from the Desktop, as well as being WebPositive default start page.

As for including yab applications in the release, I see no problem with that in principle. Remember that the nightlies are small, minimal images, but for the official releases, we ship a 650MB image (CD-Rom size) packed with useful stuff. For each release we consider different options for what to include, when the time for that comes, we will get input from the community to get a wishlist, and see what we can fit.

The “Updating Haiku” section is not up-to-date, now that we have SoftwareUpdater.
The command-line only is not very new comer friendly…

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up. I updated that section of the Welcome page. It’ll need a manual export from the “translation” site to become publicly available.

1 Like

This is not really a problem, just one point of the package to set. Yab need to be a dependecies., nothing more.

[quote=“PulkoMandy, post:8, topic:6245”]As for including yab applications in the release, I see no problem with that in principle. Remember that the nightlies are small, minimal images, but for the official releases, we ship a 650MB image (CD-Rom size) packed with useful stuff
[/quote]

This argumentation does not match anymore because yab was split into yablib and the program files :wink:

I don’t think we need anything more than what we currently have. A “Welcome” link on the Desktop by default is as approachable and accessible as an extra application. I don’t see the need to start this automatically.

1 Like

As the saying goes… Patches are welcome. Currently WebPositive with a welcome homepage is enough IMO.