Haiku 64bit on Ryzen

This is the KDL page, when booting from USB2.0 (not USB3.1).
And my intel ethernet card is not supported by system :frowning:

My intel ethernet card is an intel I211 Gigabit.

vendor: 8086
device: 1539
subsys: 1458

Quite often USB2.0 ports are controlled by the USB3.0/3.1 chip, in which case the OS must deal with them almost identically to USB3.0 ports. So that is likely what’s going on here.

I can take a look at adding support for that, it shouldn’t be too hard at all.

I’ve added tentative support for the “Intel Gigabit Ethernet” chipset family in hrev52442, including this chipset, but I don’t have any of these so I couldn’t test it. Please test and report back…

3 Likes

Thanks , the intel ethernet card works great :slight_smile:

With hrev 52443 boots ok iwth the radeon driver and the opton to limit the RAM to 4GB.

2 Likes

Hello everybody.
I was able to pass the atom logo at boot without the 4 GB limit option on hrev52605 x86_64 on my ryzen 7.

Now the problem is the nexty i was able to pass ,but i get a panic due to unable to get boot device.

The error is PANIC: did not find volume partitions.

Boot from something other than a USB3 port. Most boards have legacy USB ports. Optionally if possible disable xhci/USB3 support in the BIOS.

1 Like

I had another panic different using usb 2.0 on usb 3.1 port realted to net_server. I blacklist net_server and nothing goes well.

Here is the screenshot, maybe is this realted to the code of net_server?? I don’t know.

UPDATE:Disabling net_sever haiku doesn’t boot at all, or pass the atom image at boot.

Try Safe mode option.
https://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/bootloader.html

disabling net_server does nothing

I had this problem with the usb images when using a 3.0dongle in a 3.0 port (plus video driver failure, needed video safe mode).

Had no problems when using 2.0 dongle in a 2.0 port (apart from video safe mode).

Either try that, or enable safe mode in haiku boot menu.

My Ryzen doesn’t work out of the box either. I have gotten it booted before, but it wasn’t easy.

Pro Tips (all of them a pain and not really a good long term solution):

• Change disks from AHCI to other options in the BIOS
  • Use a USB 2.0 flash drive in a USB 2.0 port (if you have any)… at minimum try a USB 2.0 flash driver in a 3.0 port.
  • Boot using the EFI loader
  • Try using the CD media (even if it is in a USB cd drive)

I get a “no boot partitions found” error while booting from EFI as of a few days ago. Our XHCI driver is pretty reliable, but something is going on at early boot to make things pretty horrible on Ryzen.

Also, we have zero NVMe support, so don’t expect to install to a partition on one :slight_smile: Patches welcome!

I’m lucky enough to have a serial port on my Ryzen motherboard and a working adapter. I need to sit down and grab the syslogs from an EFI boot… just tough finding time at the moment.

Note that booting from USB External Optical Drive will not work.

Unless the situation has quietly been fixed, there is an open ticket about this: Bootloader fails to find bfs volume on CD-ROM when booting via external USB 2.0 optical drive ( https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/14090 ).

Someone said in another thread this is a timing issue in the EFI loader; if you enable onscreen debug output the boot continues for them.

Enabling on-screen debug output may be “slowing down” the boot loader enough to provide the necessary timing - i.e. allowing the messages related to drive access to do what they are supposed to do.

I noted that the boot loader is no longer displayong a message that it is loading and initializing the system, or even the progress dots. Would restoring this be sufficient?

Good day,

Last summer I had the “happy” idea of contacting AMD support pretending to get their help on supporting AMD tech on Haiku. The guys there sent me to a dev website, and… There I found a @kallisti5 request on “the same matter”, with no reply.

Guess we need a “critical mass” to drive inertia from the “big players” to help get better support for Haiku.

Anyway, will keep testing and trying!

Regards,
RR

1 Like

Perhaps we could benefit from sharing the link if you still have it.

If he is allowed to share it… its probably a private bug tracker.

In any case it probably isn’t AMD fault per se that Haiku has issues on Ryzen.

Good day everyone,

Actually, the site is a public developer community for AMD products. I was just naive enough to dare to ask. No one told me not to disclose the site, so here it goes:

https://community.amd.com/community/devgurus

I understand is not AMD’s responsibility that Ryzen support in Haiku needs improvement, I just asked them if there was a way for AMD to help Haiku. So they sent me to that site.

One needs to register. I did not because as I realized, it is a developer centred site, and I can’t call myself a developer. I searched for Haiku there and found only one thread started by @kallisti5 7 years ago regarding libOpenCL.

As far as I know, one should be a real developer, not like me, to get some productive outcome from those threads.

Regards,
RR

1 Like

In all fairness, AMD have been the only major vendor to actually provide help to us. They helped a LOT through unofficial channels.

I’m still waiting on Intel engineers to reply to me :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Another reason to go team RED :grin:

3 Likes