Announcement: Haiku Media Editor - R1.0.0, Beta 1

With a lot of difficulties, I managed to create a 32 bit version, but warning, danger, here be dragons it is not officially supported. My main issue is that out of 4 PC’s I can access, even though they all support 64 bit version of Haiku very well, none of them will boot the 32 bit R1B2 or nightly. I managed to take a USB stick to a friends legacy PC, and with limited time managed to create a 32 bit version, but couldn’t find time to package it properly. For the small number of 32 bit users only, I have included a zip file with the binary, and commited the source code modifications to GitHub.

Please be aware that 1 second of 1920x1080@30fps consumes 240Mb of RAM for cached frames, so on a 32 bit system you have less than 6 seconds of cached video for scrubbing. This makes video editing unusable on such legacy systems.

Link to 32 bit version: http://www.users.on.net/~zenja/Medo_x86_32bit.zip
Officially not supported.

Medo_32

9 Likes

Thanks for this, even if not supported (I’m not a video editor) it’s nice to see it starting, checked and launches ok, switching language is ok too after a restart, crashes on quit (still need to get some debug info to you about that) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just tried it out with the videos I have on hand!

6 Likes

I want to thank you because my son has a brain injury and he is quickly learning how to use this nle, please keep that in mind.

so many of them impose obscenely complicated work flows.

thank you, and this brings haiku so much closer to a daily os now. I’m reformatting my old phenom II 6 core just for this.

thank you

7 Likes

It’s of course completely your decision, and totally understandable (probably sensible) if you limt your supported (and tested) platforms to 64bit. OTOH, people with old 32bit machines may have lower picture quality needs as well.
Also, depending on how nice your audio track manipulations turn out, some may use Medo for some audio-only projects, lowering memory needs… :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Zenja What about adding support for Avisynth+ ?

I can try to help with a Portuguese pt_PT translation, if you tell me how.

1 Like

Hi lib1. Victor has volunteered to do the Portugese translation ( victordomingos. Thank you for offering to help.

Hi forart.it. Regarding Avisynth+, I’m not able to attempt the integration since I honestly do not have the time. A 3rd party opportunity if interest exists, I suppose. Since Medo is a Haiku application, it is fully scriptable by sending BMessages to it. A Medo::AddOn can also be created if the demand is there …

Take care.

1 Like

Well then, maybe @qyot27 could be interested in experimenting this.

Thanks.

Right. I am working on it. I expect to send the portuguese translation soon.

I am working on the translation, which should be complete in a few days. It would be awesome if you could test it after it gets merged in one of the next builds.

Sure, I’ll do it!

Maybe few ideas to pick here (Wondershare Filmora) for next version.
To change language change .com in .fr or .de, I didn’t try the others.
Or maybe there (VSDC Video Editor).

Out of curiosity: where the name “Medo” come from?

For Russian ear this name sounds as “Made with honey” (rus. medov-yj/aya/oe).

Haiku is inspired by bee. That’s seem logical to find honey somewhere. :laughing:
I would bet on killer bee, that would explain fear (see the other thread) also.

1 Like

He, Zenja explained itself somewhere here on the community site.
It means Bear in Hungarian language. Hope I am right.

*Slavic languages

In fact, that makes sense.
So far, the story of the word must be read from East to West.
At the base it’s something made from honey. Then people say “Hey, where there’s honey come bears” and next think “Bears!!!” and start running.
Is there someone to collect all meanings to make a promotion video and to tell us the full story? :rofl:

1 Like

I’ve been trying to edit some videos in medo. I wonder if there is any way to specify a 4 coordinate screen cutout to transform this part to a second video stream to overlay? for example to put something else on a TV or something via an effect.

I have tried to do this with the crop option and move option, but to my suprise the crop option always crops every media stream, no matter on which stream i put the effect. With the crop only affecting one stream I could probably have done it already the way i wanted it.

Ideally having a 4 coordinate selector might be nicer though (So i can also specify the position frame by frame, or just each N frames and have it calculate the rest or so)