AviSynth+ scripting NLE frameserver

haiku_avisynth

I’ve been tinkering around for the last few days in an effort to get AviSynth+ running on Haiku, and as you can see from the screenshot there, it works already; it didn’t even require all that much. There are a couple of things about the immediate port that need resolving, which are being tracked in the relevant pull request on Github.

Even video loading works, thanks to FFMS2 (which didn’t need any patching at all, although something is strange about ffmpeg not wanting to report stats when FFMS2 is loaded into the script environment):
haiku_avisynth2

11 Likes

Welcome qyot27!

Noice! AviSynth… reminds me of the good old times of ripping DVDs and piping it all thru half a dozen tools to burn it slowly to a regular DVD5. :slight_smile:

Nowdays AviSynth (and VapourSynth) offers mutch more, expecially as frameserving:

It was used to frameserve to an Mpeg2 encoder back then, too.

Just opened a req @ VapourSynth GH for Haiku (sup)port:

1 Like

AviSynth+ 3.7.0 has been released, Haiku support is now in the master branch and tarballs.

When I first posted, the only source filter I had tested was FFMS2, but thanks to some other fixes that came through for MinGW-w64 and Linux support in the past few days, the ImageSeq plugin can be used as a source filter now too. The ImageSource function allows users to import still image formats through the use of the DevIL library.

When I get some time I’ll try to get a set of general build instructions posted, but AviSynth+ has a very small set of dependencies - basically just CMake and GCC. If you have devil_devel installed, CMake will be able to detect it and enable ImageSeq.

5 Likes

As promised, here’s a rough guide for building AviSynth+ on Haiku, with a couple necessary helper tools/plugins. Hopefully I haven’t missed anything in the following, especially as it concerns 32-bit.

AviSynth+ requires a C++17 compiler due to making use of std::filesystem. GCC8 meets this criteria.

64-bit:
Requirements:
CMake
Ninja (optional)
devil and devil_devel (for ImageSeq plugin)

• git clone git://github.com/AviSynth/AviSynthPlus.git
  • cd AviSynthPlus
  • mkdir avisynth-build
  • cd avisynth-build
  • cmake ../ -G Ninja -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/config/non-packaged
  • ninja
  • ninja install

EDIT: The forum seems to render ../ as three dots instead of two unless I put it in preformatted markup.

avs2yuv is a small piping tool that accepts AviSynth scripts as input and outputs either yuv4mpeg or raw. This can be piped into the system FFmpeg.

avs2yuv:

• git clone git://github.com/DJATOM/avs2yuv.git
  • cd avs2yuv
  • PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$HOME/config/non-packaged/lib/pkgconfig make install PREFIX=$HOME/config/non-packaged

With those installed, you can verify that AviSynth+ was installed correctly:

• echo Version\(\).ConvertToYUV420\(\)>test.avs
  • avs2yuv test.avs -o - | ffplay -i -

If it was installed correctly, the video window will pop up with the version text on a grey background.

Of course, avs2yuv has a downside, in that it can only output YUV formats, and it doesn’t pipe audio either. To get access to both RGB formats and audio, you’ll need a build of FFmpeg that accepts AviSynth scripts as input.

ffmpeg (4.3 or git required to use AviSynth+ on non-Windows):

• git clone git://source.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.git
  • cd ffmpeg
  • mkdir -p ffmpeg-build
  • ../configure \
    --prefix=$HOME/config/non-packaged \
    --progs-suffix=-avs \
    --disable-debug \
    --disable-doc \
    --enable-gpl \
    --enable-avisynth \
    --disable-asm \
    --extra-cflags="-I$HOME/config/non-packaged/include"

• make -j$(nproc)
  • make install

Unfortunately, there’s something the matter with the asm, as it spits out errors relating to PIC no matter what I pass to FFmpeg’s configure. --disable-mmx and --disable-mmxext get rid of most of them, apart from stuff in h264 and hevc’s cabac_tables. --disable-asm isn’t optimal but it lets it actually build. This only affects 64-bit.

Now you should be able to play back the script directly:

• ffplay-avs -i location/of/test.avs

Since ImageSeq would have been built as well, you can also test with a real image file (assuming the script is created in the same directory as test.jpg):

• echo ImageSource\(\“test.jpg\”\)>test.avs

FFMS2:

Requirements:
autoconf, automake, libtool, m4

• git clone git://github.com/FFMS/ffms2.git
  • cd ffms2
  • PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$HOME/config/non-packaged/lib/pkgconfig \
    CPPFLAGS="-I$HOME/config/non-packaged/include/avisynth" \
    ./autogen.sh \
    --enable-shared \
    --enable-avisynth

• make -j$(nproc)
  • make install

With FFMS2, it’s possible to import video in any format that FFmpeg can demux/decode. First, it needs to index the video, which is done either the first time the script is opened, or the user can index the file themselves using the ffmsindex utility that was built and installed with FFMS2.

• ffmsindex -t -1 test.mkv
    -t -1 indexes the first audio track it can find. Positive integers select the corresponding audio track where more than one audio track exists.
  • echo FFmpegSource2\(\“test.mkv\”\,atrack=-1)>test.avs
    The atrack=-1 parameter is necessary for audio to be loaded in the script.

Unlike when using stuff strictly in the AviSynth+ core (like Version()) or ImageSource(), FFMS2 seems to suppress the info readout when the script is loaded in FFmpeg. It should still be able to function, though. On Linux this behavior is only seen when using a shared version of the FFmpeg libraries, but as that’s not the case here I have no clue what’s going on.

32-bit:
Requirements:
CMake
Ninja (optional)
devil_x86 and devil_x86_devel (for the ImageSeq plugin)

• git clone git://github.com/AviSynth/AviSynthPlus.git
  • cd AviSynthPlus
  • mkdir avisynth-build
  • cd avisynth-build
  • export PATH=/system/bin/x86:$PATH
  • cmake ../ -G Ninja -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/config/non-packaged \
    -DCMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR=$HOME/config/non-packaged/lib/x86

• ninja
  • ninja install

avs2yuv is a small piping tool that accepts AviSynth scripts as input and outputs either yuv4mpeg or raw. This can be piped into the system FFmpeg.

• git clone git://github.com/DJATOM/avs2yuv.git
  • cd avs2yuv
  • PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$HOME/config/non-packaged/lib/x86/pkgconfig make
  • cp avs2yuv $HOME/config/non-packaged/bin/x86

With those installed, you can verify that AviSynth+ was installed correctly:

• echo Version\(\).ConvertToYUV420\(\)>test.avs
  • ~/config/non-packaged/bin/x86/avs2yuv test.avs -o - | ffplay -i -

If it was installed correctly, the video window will pop up with the version text on a grey background.

Of course, avs2yuv has a downside, in that it can only output YUV formats, and it doesn’t pipe audio either. To get access to both RGB formats and audio, you’ll need a build of FFmpeg that accepts AviSynth scripts as input.

ffmpeg (4.3 or git required to use AviSynth+ on non-Windows):

• git clone git://source.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.git
  • cd ffmpeg
  • mkdir -p ffmpeg-build
  • cd ffmpeg-build
  • ../configure \
    --bindir=$HOME/config/non-packaged/bin/x86 \
    --libdir=$HOME/config/non-packaged/lib/x86 \
    --progs-suffix=-avs \
    --disable-debug \
    --disable-doc \
    --enable-gpl \
    --enable-avisynth \
    --extra-cflags="-I$HOME/config/non-packaged/include"

• make -j$(nproc)
  • make install

Now you should be able to play back the script directly:

• ~/config/non-packaged/bin/x86/ffplay-avs -i location/of/test.avs
    Unfortunately, something was not right with the build on my end, as ffplay-avs would crash immediately as soon as the window opened. I could get around it by piping from ffmpeg-avs to the system’s ffplay, though:
  • ~/config/non-packaged/bin/x86/ffmpeg-avs -i location/of/test.avs -c copy -f nut - | ffplay -i -

Since ImageSeq would have been built as well, you can also test with a real image file (assuming the script is created in the same directory as test.jpg):

• echo ImageSource\(\“test.jpg\”\)>test.avs

FFMS2:

Requirements:
autoconf, automake, libtool, m4

• git clone git://github.com/FFMS/ffms2.git
  • cd ffms2
  • PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$HOME/config/non-packaged/lib/x86/pkgconfig \
    CPPFLAGS="-I$HOME/config/non-packaged/include/avisynth" \
    ./autogen.sh \
    --bindir=$HOME/config/non-packaged/bin/x86 \
    --libdir=$HOME/config/non-packaged/lib/x86 \
    --enable-shared \
    --enable-avisynth

• make -j$(nproc)
  • make install

With FFMS2, it’s possible to import video in any format that FFmpeg can demux/decode. First, it needs to index the video, which is done either the first time the script is opened, or the user can index the file themselves using the ffmsindex utility that was built and installed with FFMS2.

• ~/config/non-packaged/bin/x86/ffmsindex -t -1 test.mkv
    -t -1 indexes the first audio track it can find. Positive integers select the corresponding audio track where more than one audio track exists.
  • echo FFmpegSource2\(\“test.mkv\”\,atrack=-1)>test.avs
    The atrack=-1 parameter is necessary for audio to be loaded in the script.

Unlike when using stuff strictly in the AviSynth+ core (like Version()) or ImageSource(), FFMS2 seems to suppress the info readout when the script is loaded in FFmpeg. It should still be able to function, though. On Linux this behavior is only seen when using a shared version of the FFmpeg libraries, but as that’s not the case here I have no clue what’s going on.

5 Likes

Why dont you create a recipe for this?

It’s on my to-do list, I just wanted to make sure there were public instructions available for anyone that wanted to try it before I can get a recipe written.

1 Like

And a recipe:

As I note in the topic, I was having issues getting haikuporter to handle it on 32-bit, but 64-bit was fine.

1 Like

Looking into a build for 32-bit, will report in a bit :wink:

1 Like