Word Processor for Haiku?

Joeffice

A Free Java Office

Joeffice is an open source office suite that includes word processor, spreadsheet, presentation and database.

http://www.joeffice.com/

http://www.joeffice.org/

https://bitbucket.org/agoubard/joeffice (Source Code)

Tried OSX download, extracted tgz and ran JAR file. The installer says thereā€™s not enough free space on HDD, which is false. Iā€™d like to try it on Haiku though.

I ran it on Mac OSX once, about a year ago. It was rudimentary and buggy. Donā€™t know if there has been development since.

Welcome to the Haiku shell.

~> /boot/home/Desktop/joeffice.sh --nospacecheck

1 Like

Thanks Kim!

I ran the Linux Installer as your image showed, and the install went perfectly in my home directory. Itā€™s seems to be working well, with the little bit of time that Iā€™ve spent with it.

Has anyone tried updating the AbiWord port?

Actually some tried to look into itā€¦ but there are some reason why its not worth (from my opinion)

1. its not developed further - it has not seen major changes in sourcecode since years. There is only one person maintaining this app, and even there main realeases are not published as windows binary ā€¦ because they dont have a developer for this build (also its only ā€œbuildingā€ it)ā€¦ but you see the picture :smiley:
  2. The app is horrible unstableā€¦ sorry to say thisā€¦
    i wanted to test out if it would be a good solution for haiku. I Installed it on linunx and windows and used it for my private stuff but also tried two weeks to use it for my work - with horrible resultā€¦ losing all my data (could not load saved documents and so on) - Alsways remeber- this was with the offical latest release.
  3. the Last working port of abiword was for BeOS in the year 2000. It was never complete and in my opionion they made some crazy decicions ā€¦ like dont implement the Dialogs but use flatterned BMessageā€¦

So if you want to have abiword you need to start from srcatchā€¦ and you will not get an stable Wordprocessor and also not a really native oneā€¦

How I see we have little choice here:
get Betware Writer code or write new one ā€œWriterā€.
All other choices is to complicated for now.
So who get the code or write the new one?

Donā€™t forget the attempts to get something done in relatively recent years:

OOffice - Oliverā€™s Office, from the same guy who later added bluetooth support to Haiku: http://urnenfeld.blogspot.fr/search/label/OOffice

There is at least a lot of relevant thinking and reflexions about how a native implementation could be attempted, and some prototypes.

There was another project called ā€œParagraphā€ in the osdrawer days, I donā€™t know if this went somewhere.

Another alternative would be to port some non-open source word processor from another OS, if we can get the companies behind them to be interested. For example, Papyrus comes to mind. Over its life it existed on Atari ST, then Windows, OS/2 and Mac OS X, and a Linux version has been in the work for some time. I donā€™t know why it didnā€™t reach the BeOS at the time.

http://www.softmaker.com/en/
Developers of SoftMaker Office maybe get interested in Haiku, they have versions for windows, linux and android.

And still, people want varietyā€¦
If Abiword developing stuck, maybe someone want to spin off most stable version of it (2.8.6?) and make native Word for Haiku, eventually.

Yes, yes, AbiWord has flaws, but they are fixable.

Well, who wants to participate?

ā€¦If we can not get Betware Writer code, I think this course of action is most reasonable and achievable in the near future.

Considering that a word processor/office suite is one of the most complicated software programs around I would say it isnā€™t going to happen anytime soon.
Itā€™s already been stated how out of date and buggy/unstable Abiword is, I for one wouldnā€™t use it for anything critical or even to bash out the occasional letter. I havenā€™t tried it yet but as mentioned earlier Joeffice seems a reasonable compromise for now.
Instead of constantly loading the Haiku team with more work, I say let them finish the OS first and then worry about everything else.

Nothing is easy, what you should do in this life.
And without the Haiku team is the other people.

You must understand that it is only to larger goals and victories, you can attract more people to the project. If only avoid the difficulties and work, this project will only shrink and shrink.

1 Like

Try. Is that a useful thing?

No matter if it does or doesnā€™t though, it makes no difference. Constantly asking the developers for this office suite and that word processor is not going to get anywhere. The source code for Abiword both old and latest is freely available if you want to try compiling it. Personally I see that program as a non starter, it hasnā€™t improved or changed much in 20 years and I donā€™t see it improving any, ā€œunlessā€ more developers get involved in the project. Things have moved on considerably since Abiwords day and there is office suites coming out the walls, I think it would be preferable to choose one of those, one that is modern and would be the least path of resistance.
Yes an up to date Gobe Productive would be fantastic, but in reality it just isnā€™t going to happen, same as Open/Libre office, although they are so bloated that I donā€™t see any point in porting them to Haiku.
Maybe someone could repackage Joeffice for Haiku to make it a one click install, that would be nice for starters. I havenā€™t got the skills to do such a thing or I would, I still intend on trying to install it though and trying it out.

I tried Joeffice in Linux, unfortunately I could not open any of my documents.

1 Like

Unless Iā€™ve got it wrong, a previous poster in this thread posted the Linux version does install and work in Haiku. I havenā€™t tried it yet as I donā€™t do much document work, I do on occasion though so will give it a whirl and see how it works.

Office package to the operating system is the core software, without which no operating system does not move to the professional level of using.
You heard that people with a little familiarity with the software do not distinguish MS Windows and MS Office? For them that is the same thing.

1 Like

You donā€™t need to wait for the OS to be finished. But, donā€™t count on the same developers working on both the OS and office suite (and web browser and ā€¦).
Even though an office suite is a complex product, it is a little simpler than an operating system. So it should be possible to gather a team of people to start working on it. I would love to see more 3rd-party developers on Haiku.

Regarding Abiword, even if the GUI canā€™t be reused directly (for stability problems), at least they had the nice idea to split out the file format management into separate libraries. This is at least one thing that donā€™t need to be re-done. Maybe these libraries could be converted into translators for Haiku, possibly allowing conversion from docx to pdf as a starting point? A small first step, but being able to do that would allow me to reboot to LibreOffice on a non-Haiku in many occasions.

2 Likes

Okay, even Iā€™m not developer, yetā€¦

How to get AbiWord native?

1. get AbiWord 2.8.6 source code,
  2. remove all not needed for Haiku staff,
  3. rewrite GUI to Haiku native,
  4. move work with file formats to Haiku translators,
  5. optimize all other staff by native rewrite if needed. Integrate fixes from newest Abiword.

Of course, some other staff is needed to complete work, some volunteersā€¦

HWord is started?
HiWord?
Writer?