Word Processor for Haiku?

It’s refreshing to know someone is doing this already. I’m fully aware this is a huge project, but those who dared write their OS, would dare write their office as well.

I’ll read the document you’ve linked and see what I could contribute. Thank you very much!

[quote=solarcold]It’s refreshing to know someone is doing this already. I’m fully aware this is a huge project, but those who dared write their OS, would dare write their office as well.

I’ll read the document you’ve linked and see what I could contribute. Thank you very much![/quote]

Not really… i dont have any time to donate… even my unfinished projects i am working on … i can only donate like 2h per Month or so.
Also this document is really crap (i started it) … only some names… some crazy ideas nothing real nothing with substance, follwing no software describing rules and so on…
You are welcome to add Stuff to it … maybe first make a good structure… there are some good templates out there for describing a softwareproject … that would be a good start.

On the other hand, i know people are working on getting libreoffice portet…so not shure if its worth the effort yet…

I for one think it’s well worth the effort. Porting OpenOffice\LibreOffice is not an ideal solution (that is, a native application is always preferrable than a foreign port - again, that’s my personal humble opinion).

Thanks for starting the document. I might not contribute as a programmer, but I may outline what the software should look like and what steps should be taken.

I seem to remember someone (Stippy?) was working on some app prototype code in relation to office productivity applications with the thought of a possible fresh start on a Haiku office suite. I think its worth working on something that doesn’t necessarily have all the bells and whistles day one and can slowly evolve into a very useful solution over time.

i’d never heard of this till just now, it seems kind of amazing. handles word processing and presentations, both, apparently.

He wrote a verry flexible texteditorview for haikuware … wich could maybe evolve in a wordprocessor.
So he is not working on a Wordprocessor. he just gave some hints… he is already working on and in wich drections such a nativ Wordporcessor should start with its development.

Is the source code for texteditorview available anywhere?

Maybe we should just create a project page on Github for HaikuOffice/PoetryOffice even if we don’t have any code yet?

EDIT: ok, just found TextView here: https://github.com/haiku/haiku/tree/master/src/apps/haikudepot/textview

Hi, we put now some ideas and informations together under the mentioned link.
Now we introduced a widle known document structur for software projects,
so we need help to put the information into the right place… any help is welcome

@Paradoxon, are there any mockups?

hmm, can’t get lyx to install. “failed to find a match for lyx_x86.” in the package manager when trying to install it. running the gcc2 version of the latest nightly.

thinkfree office still works really well for me here. However there is a bug where it doesn’t work if your monitor/graphics setup doesn’t report a DPI setting (if it does it tells you the DPI in the screens preflet). But I think we need something non-proprietary as this wont work forever.

For a more commonly used word processor, I checked and we have a recipe for abiword in haikuports though I am not sure that is functional as I haven’t tested it out yet.:thinking:
Here is the link to the recipe:

Here is the actual source code for Abiword:

This would be great to get working and create a package for.

You can try if you want, but it will not bring any benefits - i guess. Thats because of several reasons:

1. Even on the full supported Plattform like linux i wasnt able to work productive with abiword.The version i tested was the 3.0.1 on linux and also on Windows. It crashed didnt supported the basic features i needed and so on…

2. Saying this. The version we have on haikuarvices is the 2.2.8 and this goes back to an really old port (wich wasnt completed). So even the haikuarchive pages states that there should be a new port… starting with the current source.

3. The old Source used a unusual behavior for creating dialogs. They didnt wrote source code but used archives. The archived where stored as ressources. A lot of them dont work (like 10 or so) also some Dialogs are not implemented at all… So it would be a lot of work to finish it.

4. There are a lot of bugs like crashes, dont showing the cursor and so on.

So the conclusion from my site is and was - The effort to get a (in my opinion) unfinished word processor wich is in a stage of stagnation is not worth at all.

There are also some threading problems in it, because Abiword core doesn’t expect the window and the main() function to be separate threads.
So, it will require major efforts to bring it up to an usable state. And there isn’t this much activity on Abiword recent versions, so it would probably hit another dead-end if it gets there?

How about Calligra Suite for Haiku?
Deep porting, with rewriting KDE part (integrating into Haiku).
?
https://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/calligra_and_kderuntime_ports
?

Also i dont like calligra … it would be a good start.
Personally i think exanding the LittleWriter would be the fastest…
https://depot.haiku-os.org/#/pkg/littlewriter_x86/clasqm/1/2/-/-/2/x86_gcc2?bcguid=bc644-TDUT

Or improoving the internal HaikuDepotTextview:

I personally prefer reusable code over specialized applications. A better textview gadget could improve other applications like WebPositive. Even better if the gadget can be superclassed with different style requirements.

I rather vaguely aware of these matters, but maybe a good idea to have in haiku the following: htmlview or/and texview/pdfview?
The first suit for the Internet, the second for other documents.

What are some options? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

New thread started to discuss reusable abstract text editor class.

In response to Abstract TextView gadget? - #8 by michel I’d like to address a few features needed to make a full-fledged word processor out of a text-editor class. I’m putting it here to make it on-topic.

• auto-updating footnotes
  • auto-updating endnotes
  • auto-updating cross-references
  • an auto-updating reference manager

These could be implemented using a mail-merge function internally as long as the user-interface is done right.

• ToC and index generation (those can be manual update)
  • different levels of page numbering in the same document (i…xii, 1…200)

Pagination would have to be added if it is based on WebView document object models and an outline function would help with the page numbering system.

• multiple languages within the same document for spell- and grammar-checking.

WebView supports Unicode, doesn’t it?

• Track changes/merge documents

This sounds like a Git variant. What version control utilities are available now for Haiku?