With what can I use Haiku OS?

Is there a EU-store for laptops or PC’s with Haiku preinstalled? Does Haiku work on tablets today? Does Intel or AMD have driver support for Haiku?

Does Warcraft 2 work on Haiku? Where I can find this kind of information about Haiku? I read that Haiku doesn’t really work on Raspberry Pi is that true?

1 Like

Try the Haiku Hardware Database for a starting point, as for software compatibility, Wine is available; it might help to check their own website.

I’m quite sure: No, there isn’t.

[Edit: I found a text at reddit, but it was about a US company, seemingly out of business since 2019.]

You can use Dosbox

3 Likes

It depends on the CPU which used in it, but in both cases you need to have developer skills to start to work out what needs you to be satisfied.

Haiku actually is a desktop oriented OS - basically not for mobile devices -, however you have a limited success to boot it on a tablet.
After you successfully reached the Desktop you will need to attach a wired keyboard and mouse via USB hub with an OTG cable, as wireless with Blutooth won’t work. BT stack of Haiku still cannot provide necessary services.
It needs as touch display interface is not supported for general, as it is not desktop input. Of course touchpad works, but that is a different device. Possibly problems with audio and wifi as well,
as such devices might connects on another bus than in a PC (PCI/PCIe/USB), so cannot detectable if they even supported anyway.as a vendor/model in a PC style HW.
This is based upon different posts here

ARM based devices - to be able to boot Haiku needs special firmware – that supports UEFI bios environment (target to boot Windows on it). If it present … you need an applicable hub and keyboard mouse attached to it, before powering up the device.&

Otherwise Haiku ARM vesion is still under development – both 32bit and 64bit versions – it strongly needs developer skills to geit it working after Bootloader

(Details → Oh no… Haiku on a Phone (or Tablet)

Intel (Atom) devices - The same here, but firmware surely UEFI BIOS or BIOS here as target OS primarily some Windows.

Against it – the touch panel display, sound / wifi support, lack of full BT stack in Haiku also cause that … Haiku usage can become limited.

(Details → Haiku on the Viglen Connect 9 Tablet (Intel Atom) )

Risc-V tablets - Available on the market , but those are rare devices, not even developers who work on porting Haiku could get hands on them. At least based on my latest infos.
One offered to send money to be able to buy it – it had arrived an answer from one of them as
sadly the device became out-of-stock meanwhile :wink:

So this is the current situation related to use Haiku with a “handful” mobile device.

Others may gives supplemental addition if I missed some points or details regarding to it -

1 Like

I assume you want info about GPU driver support … not CPU microcode updates 8D
However those are also available.

If you think some official intel AMD GPU drivers - especially for 3D acceleration support - well this is a steep expectation.
Intel embedded GPUs in CPUs supported in Intel Extreme driver,
for AMD GPUs there are infos in forum posts and of course on besly.de site where complete systems list and supported hardware informations can be found, of course in english as well.

3D acceleration software development is under development but as Haiku a project and there is no tight time limits to finish it - strongly offered to wait patiently until it arrives to applicable for the wide public ;-))
Until then – you can see what developer shares on screenshots in forum posts
or
try out codes - compiling them from source … available on linked github pages also from the same developers.
In this case you must be owned a supported HW as well.

You did well you asked about Intel and AMD
the availability/probability to have been software to support them is much higher than in case Nvidia
as there is more published documents to have open source solutions developed for them. Nvidia seems more keeping their “secrets”.

Others may give supplemental additions/details/corrections if I missed something in this answer to you.

The short answer is : yes, it’s true.

Raspberry Pi is an ARM processor based Single Board Computer, so as I already answered
Haiku for ARM 32bit and 64bit versions are still under cevelopment.
Also, as they are such ARM SBCs so differently built, regarding to firmwares and HW solutions on the board, developers must write many more supplemental code to cover differencies in even in the bootloader depending on to x86 or x86_64 booting HW. It should also cover built-in devices detection, driver management, memory management, new protocols, layers, drivers, etc. that requires more developers, specific skills, and/or more time to complete it until the Haiku Desktop reached.
After that starts also a bigger work – besides OS and its closer tools, services to be ported, the build tools that helps compile the OS and apps on it, also the drivers.
After that the bundled commandline and GUI apps must be ported as well.
Also the 3rd party softwares that makes Haiku usage convenient and appropriate for end users and developers as well
– that already available for Intel / AMD CPU Haiku versions (x86 - 32bit and x86_64 - 64bit).