Using an IP camera as a webcam

I made a video producer add-on for a media kit that uses a video stream from any IP camera.
This allows you to use your smartphone with the DroidCam application as a webcam in Haiku.

screenshot4

34 Likes

Ingenius!
Will the add-on be included with a standard Haiku install, or will it be a 3rd party addition?

2 Likes

Wow! For reals, this is a much needed improvement for Haiku :smiley:

2 Likes

WD-40 for prezident!

4 Likes

I don’t know yet as there are several problems:

1. For some reason I can’t add BTextParameter to BParameterWeb. It just doesn’t work, probably a bug in MediaKit. This is necessary to set the stream address.
  2. I use ffmpeg libraries directly to minimize latency, it doesn’t work well through MediaKit yet.
  3. Media Preflet does not restore the last Video Input setting after rebooting.
2 Likes

Would it make sense to submit a patch to Gerrit nevertheless, maybe other devs have ideas for a solution or pick it up in the future?

5 Likes

In MediaKit Default Theme BTextParameter was not implemented. I added support for them and this is what I got:

screenshot11

9 Likes

Does this require any new libraries, or just existing ones (FFmpeg)? If only existing ones, then I’d vote that we include this within Haiku itself. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Nothing else. Only the system libraries and ffmpeg (avformat, avcodec, avutil, swscale).

1 Like

photo_2021-03-29_15-34-15

11 Likes

looks really really good :slight_smile:

What a great projekt, Gerasim. Hope the Haiku team will this one include in Beta 3!
Very good.
Btw. do you use the free DroidCam dev. edition or the 5.-Euro Pro Version of DroidCam?

1 Like

The addon works with any similar application. At the moment I’m using IP Webcam - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam&hl=ru&gl=US. More features, more settings. Works much better than DroidCam.

PS: And yes, I used the free version of DroidCam.

2 Likes

In theory would it work with an ordinary IP Cam?

Yes, of course. I checked on rtsp streams - it works fine.

3 Likes

screenshot20

16 Likes

Very impressive, hello Gerasim, nice to see your picture!

Is the IP-add-on working?

Will it be in Haiku Beta 3?

Great work, it will have a great push to Haiku popularity.
Sound is working for me in Telegram by now! It is not! working in Windows 10!
Now Video would be a great step forward because of Corona too.

Your work is so extremely important for Haiku popularity!

The Haiku Inc. should give you a big, big bonus!

This is real Marketing! Make it work, make it visible, makle it usable!

3 Likes

Very cool! I had a camera working on USB some time ago. This looks better.