Still looking for a Haiku mascot?

Any distribution of haiku can have a maskot, but not the main system

From the OpenBeOS/Haikuā€™s past :sunglasses::

This was done as satire - always liked it.

4 Likes

Nicely done! Any marketing material as nice as this is always welcome.

1 Like

haiku-tan wants to be a mascot too.

7 Likes

Good idea with the leaf hear, but no need for prominent secondary sexual characteristic for a mascot.
Why does a mascot have to have a gender or race?

Better to use simply a leaf if it really required.

1 Like

because why not, lol.

Lolā€¦ people have been bringing up adding a Haiku mascot for as long as I can remember (me included!)

However, I think a mascot might be tricky at our late stage of existence. It would need to be something either:

1. Universally awesome, few folks question it being the right fit.
  2. Less than awesome, but a benevolent dictator makes it ā€œofficialā€ and the community either warms up to it, or hates it.

#1 is difficult to achieve. I think aros in the post above might have hit this point because their mascot is pretty great to be honest.
#2 may leave people out. Either people hate it, love it, or donā€™t identify with it.

I personally love female os-tan 's because iā€™m that caliber of Japan-nerdā€¦ (see my guisan libraryā€™s mascot for one such example) but not everyone may identify with it. I can do it for guisan because itā€™s my baby and everyone else can deal with it.

Something safe would be throwing eyeballs on our isometric H logoā€¦ but then that really wouldnā€™t trigger the same appeal to most.

f35743f22c1288180ebbbf1cc12b2addea023f6e

unlessā€¦

haiku-tan

:grimacing:

3 Likes

:laughing: Ohhhh myā€¦

3 Likes

That last oneā€¦ :crazy_face:

1 Like

4 Likes

when using the name ā€˜haikuā€™, perhaps one should choose something that resembles its principles.

e.g. a tree

"In short: Haiku are short poems. Usually they are written in three lines.

Presence: Haiku are in time. Almost always in the present. If other times occur, it is memories or fantasies that someone has in the present.

Concreteness: Haiku do not represent facts or experiences in an abstract way, but in a concrete way, which a reader can experience, sensually experience, and observe.

External orientation: Haiku are almost always concerned with the external world, less with the ideas of the poet.

Openness: The haiku should not end with reading the text. A reverberation, something unsaid, left open, something to be written on should still remain.

There are no end rhymes or headings in haiku."

Haiku-YarnaDdalGargan-mascot
Here - something with more universal appeal and senary, rather that secondary sexual characteristics :wink:

1 Like

It seems you misunderstood me.
I am against the over-sexualizing the everyday and every aspects of life.
But whatever, just go ahead with your trolling, nobody cares.

2 Likes

The sexualization of objects, people and otherwise is a subjective thing, and highly politicized, especially amongst the younger indoctrinates of the new traditions. Given our organic nature, and need for procreation, I find peopleā€™s peopleā€™s politicization of this no end of amusing. I state this as a celibate queer. Live and let live, and have a sense of humour about what we are, is my policy :wink:

Not intending to ā€œtrollā€ (I donā€™t spend much time around bridges), however offence is inevitable unless you self censor to the point of erasing all naunce and beauty in the world. In a multi-cultural environment such as this, I find it far more constructive to accommodate content and views, rather than censor or censure it. I do however agree with you - there is no need to sexualize inherently non-sexual things. But trust me, this is self-emergent, regardless of intent. Watch what happens in a vacuum populated only by inanimate objects when you add people into the equation.

3 Likes

I made Walter in inkscape.
WALTER--FINAL

How upload the svg file?

3 Likes

I vectorized Walter a while ago. The WonderBrush file is in the Haiku artwork repo.

5 Likes

Just to continue necroā€™ing this thread:

I think a mascot would be neat, but is hardly essential. Some kind of alternative to the full logo with HAIKU and the leaves would be useful though. The full logo is rather large and sort of clunky if you wished to make something a sticker smaller one for a car bumper. Or suppose you install Haiku on a laptop and want to advertise it via on the case without making it look like you have a laptop made by some company called HAIKU. Such an image would also be handy if someone wanted to advertise that a software package is also available for Haiku.

I also want to point out that, as I understand, while other software might be packaged with it, Haiku canā€™t really be a distribution in the Linux sense. Thatā€™s because the ā€œbaseā€ is more than just a kernel; Itā€™s already an OS even if you exclude third party software. How useful it is that wayā€¦ As much as I think itā€™s dumb to pretend that we should say GNU/Linux instead of just Linux or a distributionā€™s name like Ubuntu (Linux) there is a certain reality that itā€™s the Linux kernel and whatever other software a third party chooses to distribute with it. With such a narrow definition one can fairly call Googleā€™s Android a Linux distribution.

1 Like

H square - black on white

ā€œH square - black on whiteā€ from the artwork folder.

1 Like

8 Likes

I like this as picture and background for haiku, but as mascotā€¦

I think we should put our energy into mor importand stuff like a mascot. This can be a part for distribution.

1 Like