Still looking for a Haiku mascot?

Very kawai

No idea on how it would relate to Haiku, though :smiley:

Actually yellowTAB used a bee-like mascot at some pointā€¦ Spliney it was called, or something alike.
417ds16x7jL.AC

3 Likes

The bee are good for be os

Spliney was already part of BeOS IIRC

Not that I know of.

Maybe my bad :wink:

2 Likes

Letā€™s have Walter only.

1 Like

I like ā€œHaiku-tanā€. However, I think she needs to smile. She looks too serious. :smiley: But whoever created her is a good artist! Good use of Haikuā€™s symbolism in her wardrobe/hair. Awesome, in fact! But is ā€œHaiku-tanā€ the correct Japanese wording for a female? Or is ā€œHaiku-sanā€ only for males? I think ā€œHaikunaā€ or ā€œHaikunaiā€ or ā€œHaikunaeā€ could also work for a nameā€¦ :smiley:

ā€œHaiku-tanā€ was a reference to another Japanese meme called the ā€œOS-tanā€ https://www.ostan-collections.net/wiki/index.php/List_of_OS-tans

This is gold.

She is friends with almost anyone except Linux-tan who hates her de-inhibited behavior and is particularly fond of Tiger-TAN, to the extreme that she actually develops a crush on her.

But the page itself doesnā€™t have an actual image of Haiku-tan, and the description is a bit different, e.g. there are no insect wings (or not visible)?

I liked the outfit on the first image above, with leaves on it. Second one is a bit bland.

Probably because itā€™s a character I just created after several months of consideration, without any regard for the description defined in the os-tan database, which doesnā€™t even remotely make sense from a perspective of the OS.

Perhaps requesting to Tyson Tan a Japanese based one writing a Haiku?.. Since the Guy drew the actual version of KDEā€™s Konqi and Kritaā€™s Kiki it could fit, perhaps Nara deer eating leaves or with a leaf based kimono.

1 Like

I so much would like to see Haiku-themed drawn stuff. Especially wallpapers.

Every one can create packages with wallpapers.

:man_facepalming:

I guess the wallpapers will draw themselves out, and ā€œevery oneā€ will create some packages with those wallpapers.

1 Like

Well I wanted to add a way to package themes in Theme Manager, even before we had PM support, so now it should be possible to have it create a proper package; feel free to beat me at it and submit a PR.

2 Likes

This deep-sea predator Walter is a good joke. Is there any info about an original idea of Walter?

For me, Haiku is a friendly OS, having colorful graphics, and system icons are always warm and inviting. If I was to imagine Walter myself, it would be a friendly guy, sticking its head from a pond with a leaf floating on a surface and smiling at us. Maybe sligtly lost in thought (just figuring out a new haiku!) Perhaps it could be a Koi carp? Or leaf could be on his head, accidentally left there during coming from under the surface?

Thereā€™s some interesting info on Haiku style in Icon Guidelines. Regarding race / sexuality:

all Haiku icons are designed to be culturally and ethnically neutral

cheers!

It dates back from when OpenBeOS was renamed. There was some discussion and then a contest to pick the new name (Haiku was the name, eventually). At some point, bga (one of the developers) suggested (not very seriously) ā€œwe could call it Walter?ā€

Eventually this led to the main conference about OpenBeOS in the US being named WalterCon, and the first edition of WalterCon was where the new name would be revealed (of course if the conference was called HaikuCon everyone would have guessedā€¦). And so there was this logo to go with it, and all that.

The name keeps popping up now and then in various places (the name of one of the servers hosting our infra, as a default placeholder for de-branded Haiku builds for people who want to use our code without our trademarks, ā€¦). Inside Haiku of course, but bga also used the same name in other contexts later on.

2 Likes

Considering the projects history with Walter, and the Japanese origins of haiku poetry, Haikuā€™s mascot should be a koi goldfish named Walter. :wink: itā€™s a zen thing.

3 Likes

My idea is still Leafy :smiley: :rofl:
leafy

3 Likes