Port of Gnome Web (Epiphany)

3dEyes: I can confirm that GitHub is working again on the new 2.39.3 build, thanks!

3 Likes

i am a musician machinist, and a mechanic. i wound up here in 2006 because of tascam and beos.

the ground work is there, what lacking is the manpower. hopefully new business will have enough profit to allow for some money to put into haiku.

wish in one hand and @#$_$##$ in the other

i have 2 targets, machines tool controls and audio, both require low latency, both have portable open source applications that can be brought to haiku forked and made native.

that’s my plan

4 Likes

…yes!

Haiku 32bit R1/Beta4 RC1 hrev.:56578+62
Github is usable!

Great work!

2 Likes

Web doesnt start at all for me :smiley: the debug report is also pretty useless

Take a look at @3dEyes reply to me a bit further up in this thread. Maybe you have the same problem as I did.

I saw it, it does not make a difference

I don’t have enough information to solve your problem. I need the output in the terminal. A crash error report. What revision is haiku, 32 or 64 bit, are all the updates installed?

2 Likes

Just wanted to share that I have some troubles with the keyboard when using Epiphany. I love it and use it as my primary browser on Haiku. It also increased the opportunities for me to boot under Haiku instead of other OS because I can access most of the services that I use.

But when using Web/Epiphany, I need to always copy/paste special characters from the Haiku terminal. All characters that you would do with ALT+Something don’t work. I have an italian keyboard, and for example @ is done by pressing AltrGr+ò and that works fine in Haiku itself, but in Web it doesn’t work. It just prints “ò” as if I didn’t press AltGr.

I guess this might be a problem with Wayland more than Web, given the keymap is probably managed by Wayland, but I notice the issue when using Web as it’s the only Wayland app that I have. If anyone has suggestions on how to fix this, it would make my day :smiley:

4 Likes

That’s right, it’s a wayland problem - GitHub - X547/wayland-server: In-proc Wayland server for Haiku

6 Likes

I created a report for you Epiphany crashes on Launch ¡ Issue #7602 ¡ haikuports/haikuports ¡ GitHub

1 Like
5 Likes

yesterday i upgraded the whole system including epiphany i noticed alt and ctrl keymaps now work consistently with haiku, good.
However, a problem emerged, which I don’t know if it is related to Epiphany, on youtube the videos are slowed down again, what happened?

2 Likes

by slowed down, do you mean playing slower than normal or taking a long time to load ?

I mean video playng is bad again like it was before there was the exponential improvement of webkitgtk a few weeks ago

edit:
I just tried badwolf, which in the meantime remained the same version which also benefited from the improvements that had been made to the ram and so on by the os, and badwolf still runs fast, youtube loads fast, ditto the video playback Video is smooth and fast, so I suspect something related to epiphany in recent updates is the problem…

I wonder if it would be possible to compile WebKitGTK with support for WebRTC, there are a few web applications that I rely on that need WebRTC and are practically the only reason why I reboot from Haiku to Linux/Windows at this point.

I guess the limitation might come from the fact that GStreamer is not available on haiku?

i played a bit with the ai midjourney and asked him for a couple of promts with the gnome on the surfboard, here are the results unfortunately i couldn’t get the haiku logo to appear like i wanted , it mostly tried to use the colors of the haiku logo :laughing:

A gnome whit sunglasses and surfing with the surfboard spewing flames for speed and a t-shirt whit the logo of Haiku evidenced

A gnome whit sunglasses and surfing with the surfboard spewing flames for speed and the logo of Haiku readable

:laughing: :laughing:

5 Likes

I tried it a couple more times, but there’s no way to make the haiku logo appear, it’s probably instructed not to make logos appear.

A gnome whit sunglasses and surfing with the surfboard spewing flames for speed and the Haiku logo readable

A gnome whit sunglasses and surfing with the surfboard spewing flames for speed and the Haiku logo drawn on the surfboard

2 Likes

It probably does not know what Haiku is. Ask it for a big H : p

it’s strange, but here on the discourse forum I wrote "Haiku, but it corrected me and deleted “OS” , I also tried to re-edit the text but it keeps deleting “OS”
edit , again i can’t wrote h a i k u o s

Why would you write Haiku​OS though? It’s just called Haiku…

1 Like