New Project: BeSly System Analysis Tool (BeSlySAT)

[quote=vidrep]I created my first report with BeSLYSAT and sent it to you using the “database->Send Your Database to BeSLY”.
Let me know if it was received, and if there were any anomalies.[/quote]

I does not get your mail, is your mail account correct in Haiku?

http://besly.de/menu/search/archiv/inet/mail.html (need to be translated into english)

Receiving email works OK, but sending isn’t working. Can you provide a email address so I can send the report using another platform?

Look into the “BeSly System Analysis Tool”- Documentation. The screenshot of the mail program shows my e-mail address.

tutorial online: http://besly.de/menu/search/archiv/misc/beslysat.html

New quick build for current Haiku versions (not on the repo yet)

http://www.lelldorin.de/download/BeSlySAT_0.3.6-3.hpkg.zip
(Need libyab.so to run)

Guess I have to wait for a new libyab too, same missing symbol problem in the latest Haiku.

KERN: runtime_loader: /boot/system/lib/libyab.so: Could not resolve symbol ‘DrawLabel__Q28BPrivate12BControlLookP5BViewPCcG5BRectRC5BRectRC9rgb_colorUlRC10BAlignment’

The package should be re-built to require yab 1.7.5.2. If one installs the latest yab from Haikudepot, yab 1.7.5.2, the progtram will run.

Thanks, Lelldorin, this is a great development tool.

New version available on BeSly repository server:

V0.3.7-1

http://software.besly.de

[quote=lelldorin]New version available on BeSly repository server:

V0.3.7-1

http://software.besly.de[/quote]

You might want to see if you can make it installable in ~/config
That’s where I prefer to try stuff out, but it doesn’t work from there because it has a hard-coded path to /boot/system/apps/BeSlySAT/beslysat.data

I haven’t run it all the way yet, because there are some details (like model and date) that aren’t immediately to hand!

[quote=Pete]
That’s where I prefer to try stuff out, but it doesn’t work from there because it has a hard-coded path to /boot/system/apps/BeSlySAT/beslysat.data

I haven’t run it all the way yet, because there are some details (like model and date) that aren’t immediately to hand![/quote]

why it should be installed in /config, i does not undetstand this. it is a hpkg package that install the programm into a valid package position. the settings are in /config/settings and the usetdata in /home.

if you does not have some information of your system let them clean. only a name for the computer need to choosen, because for displaying. but if you computer is a own build of hardware give him a fictive name.

[quote=lelldorin]
This is possible? I only use the package command to create hpkg files. And then i have created the hpkg file the installer installes always to /system[/quote]

The package installer and Haiku Depot default to installing it in /boot/system/packages, but the person doing the install can specify /boot/home/config/packages instead with “pkgman install --home Stuff.hpkg”

Or you can manually drag the .hpkg file to /boot/system/packages or to /boot/home/config/packages to do the install.

The user can choose either place. The idea is that in the multi-user future, system wide stuff gets installed in system while user specific applications get installed in their home directory (which won’t be /boot/home/config/packages, will be something like /boot/users/MyUserID/config/packages). That implies that one user can’t use another user’s apps.

So when you make symbolic links to menu items and other related things, use …/…/…/ as necessary to refer to your own files so that they work in both places. For example, in my beshare 2.28 .hpkg I have a data/deskbar/menu/Applications/BeShare symbolic link which leads to …/…/…/…/apps/BeShare/BeShare.x86 so it will work if installed in either place.

[quote=lelldorin]

why it should be installed in /config, i does not undetstand this. it is a hpkg package that install the programm into a valid package position. the settings are in /config/settings and the usetdata in /home.

if you does not have some information of your system let them clean. only a name for the computer need to choosen, because for displaying. but if you computer is a own build of hardware give him a fictive name.[/quote]

Because a properly packaged application can be installed in /boot/system/packages or ~/config/packages and the user should see no difference, I also like to install programs in the ~/config/packages directory.

[quote=bbjimmy][quote=lelldorin]

if you does not have some information of your system let them clean. only a name for the computer need to choosen, because for displaying. but if you computer is a own build of hardware give him a fictive name.[/quote]

Because a properly packaged application can be installed in /boot/system/packages or ~/config/packages and the user should see no difference, I also like to install programs in the ~/config/packages directory.[/quote]

This is possible? I only use the package command to create hpkg files. And then i have created the hpkg file the installer installes always to /system

[quote=agmsmith][quote=lelldorin]
This is possible? I only use the package command to create hpkg files. And then i have created the hpkg file the installer installes always to /system[/quote]

The package installer and Haiku Depot default to installing it in /boot/system/packages, but the person doing the install can specify /boot/home/config/packages instead with “pkgman install --home Stuff.hpkg”

Or you can manually drag the .hpkg file to /boot/system/packages or to /boot/home/config/packages to do the install.

The user can choose either place. The idea is that in the multi-user future, system wide stuff gets installed in system while user specific applications get installed in their home directory (which won’t be /boot/home/config/packages, will be something like /boot/users/MyUserID/config/packages). That implies that one user can’t use another user’s apps.

So when you make symbolic links to menu items and other related things, use …/…/…/ as necessary to refer to your own files so that they work in both places. For example, in my beshare 2.28 .hpkg I have a data/deskbar/menu/Applications/BeShare symbolic link which leads to …/…/…/…/apps/BeShare/BeShare.x86 so it will work if installed in either place.[/quote]

I know this, but i never get any hpkg running with using the imaginary links, so i switch to hard coded links. If i get them running in the future i will use them.

I forgot to mention that the failure was ‘silent’. When I clicked on BeSlyDAT in ~/config/apps, there was a momentary flicker in the Deskbar, but nothing else. To find out the actual problem, I ran from a Terminal – which I suspected might print an error. It did.

I think you should make sure that an alert is displayed whenever it hits a problem.

[quote=Pete][quote=Pete]

[/quote]
I forgot to mention that the failure was ‘silent’. When I clicked on BeSlyDAT in ~/config/apps, there was a momentary flicker in the Deskbar, but nothing else. To find out the actual problem, I ran from a Terminal – which I suspected might print an error. It did.

I think you should make sure that an alert is displayed whenever it hits a problem.[/quote]

Or the user should install the package on how to install a package. With double-click on the HPKG file or using Haiku Depot.

When I started with the project I had hoped to encourage more people to participate. There are always questions about a hardware database. Strengthened by the announcement that the haiku team wanted to use BeSlySAT for the GoogleCodeIn project to collect data, I have put many time into the program only to get at the end of 11 entries.

Even if GoogleCodeIn did not come to the collection of data, I am glad about every record that is sent to me.

This project is a community project and can only succeed by using the others.

1 Like

So is this database project “working” ? Is there a page we can see results ? Can I help ?

1 Like

Thank you for your interest but it gives exactly 11 entries in this database, since I so far only 9 captured pc were sent. I think with so few data makes an online database no sense. Had hoped that the project would find more appeal and let more inspire. The data can be exported to use for a database. I do not see any reason to continue working on the software.

Hey, hello?!

Dont give up that fast… only because you did not get the response you were awayting.

I like your app! The only thing I dont like is the german way of collect data… I was just to lazy to answer all your questions! So I still tried to be patience and tried to fill in one by one. After that the program will anyway find out the most important hardware specs… So why the hassle to have so much fields? Would be better to just let the user run your program and let it send the data files to you. You could make an “advanced question field” for example…
otherwise the user has to click only one button like: “collect hardware data”.
and then send it (yes/no)…
Very useful program as is! Just go on and ask the other user what they like and what not to improve it to the shake of the user. Sure you will get more inspiration and success that way…

Keep up your good work!