New Project: BeSly System Analysis Tool (BeSlySAT)

Yes, Lelldorin, this program is great. I have been lazy but I will run it on my collection of systems running Haiku. Also please remember, when we lost Haikuware, it changed the way that users become aware of Haiku programs. We don’t have a “Hot List” of apps. We really need one.

What does give up, the basic idea behind the project exists and the program is created. As long as the users and developers do not participate, this project does not live because it is dependent on it.

What does the German mean to capture data?

Nobody forces you to take part in the project, but if such a project appears important to you, you should take the time.

In my eyes this is the only way to create a reasonable database with working hardware. If you automatically get the data (is done otherwise), then you get the
names of the chipsets (for example graphics card, sound card) but not
the name of the product to buy this in the store.
Also the resolution used, does not have to be the maximum possible.
An automatic recording sounds good at first, but it is completely counterproductive.

This program has grown and grown in this way. But again, without involvement, this project makes no sense. The program was released in September 2015 and today after 1.5 years we have 11 entries.

This is true, but also during the last Google Code-In, where people should test
hardware and this data should then go to the BeSlySAT project is not happening.

But I’m not active in the whole mailinglists, so I do not know how far is spoken about.

Stupid idea:

• When the kernel boots, it has to check all hardware. How about a small system service (daemon) that automatically uploads the machine ID and information. Microsoft does the same. The advantage is that hardware updates (virtual or real) can also be followed.

I think this is a good idea as long as you can opt out, and even opt in when you install Haiku.

One of the best parts about Haiku is that it’s an awful, awful lot more private than Windows and OS X.

It’s a good idea, as long as we realize that it only gives us what people are trying to install Haiku on, and succeeding well enough to get to a desktop. It won’t tell us if a given sound card, webcam etc is actually working, just that it was detected.

Awfull would be

• during install, the installer scans the hardware
  • downloads just the right drivers

And yes: opting out, should be possible.

Opting in or out means we need to make the install process more complex. We try to keep it really simple and fast. Also, doing it at install time this way assumes you have a working network connection, which may not be the case, for lack of drivers or unavailability of firmwares.
It still has the problem that the real value of an hardware database is not just what the OS can already detect (if the OS can detect it, then we know about it already). The relevant part is information that the user can contribute: does the webcam and the sound actually work? What is the brand and model name of the machine? Did they have to tweak some BIOS setting to get it running? This is where an hardware database can really provide some added value.

What about integrating some hardware specs it in the AboutHaiku app?
Any kind of Hardware information the user might expect to be found there…

We have a Devices application with the full hardware specs. Why would you look in the about box for such information?

…ah sorry… did not read all that carefully, so it is another thing about collecting data for Haiku’s hardware.
So it could be an easier attempt to write a website question and answer or a poll to get the needed data for the database!?

hello guys,

i do some writings on besly about Hardware compatibility.

1. add the Hardware tests by chaotic on besly. sorted by Company and add icons for faster overview (last one at work)

http://besly.de/menu/search/archiv/artikel/chaotic_hardwaretests.html

1. out of this data i create a Hardware compatibility list on besly (some formating work left)

http://www.besly.de/menu/search/archiv/misc/haiku-hardware_compatibility_list.html

*i will see how to add informations of beslySAT here too. and we plan to make a database with this data.

greetings lelldorin

2 Likes

BeSlySAT (system analysis tool) are back again.

I do some changes to the old (closed) version. I only include into the hardware data the output of listdev and listusb (pulkomandy give me the info that this informations are enough to get infos for drivers (thanks). At the moment only the 32bit version (can not install any package on 64bit, get a error message)

https://www.software.besly.de/index.php?system=haikupm

I am working on a output site for the collected data to give a chance to find compatible hardware.

New Version are online:

Current hardware list here: https://besly.de/index.php/de/159-hardware2/282-besly-system-analysis-tool-hardware-list

3 Likes

New version online 0.6-1

• now you can edit your Hardware data
  • you can remove your Hardware data from the program
  • bug fixes
3 Likes

Nice work. :slight_smile:

I’m currently working on an expansion of my software and I need help with the names for extra hardware.

I would like to add extended hardware to my program (System Analysis Tool). But I need names for this hardware in order to be able to catalog it (for later export to the hardware list).

• plug-in cards
  • USB devices
  • Network devices
  • joysticks
  • Gamepads
  • Write pads
  • WLAN adapter

I would now like to specify all of them in advance, as it is very difficult to change them later if there are already entries.

Dear @lelldorin,

Please consider those who reached Haiku desktop, but cannot esteblish(ed) internet connection.
Last time I attempted to install BeSAT, I had not internet internet connection, so Imanually downloaded BeSAT hpkg from Windows, and attempted to install the single hpkg from an NTFS thumbdrive that was read only then from Haiku , but it itmessaged to me - BeSAT requires yab to be installed successfully. So then I gave up. After that maybe other hpkg should be installed.
I used last hrev55733 32bit Haiku image, seems yab not integrated, possibly this package also Besly specific.
I wodld like to ask to create such FAT OFFLINE HPKG that contains all the necessary requirements we can install BeSAT tool successfully.
Also problematic to send data. I apologies if you had resolved meanwhile such cases of offline Haiku installs where net connection is not available.
Anyway, so please make available an “offline” BeSAT install package that contains all install stuff in one hpkg, or when we download BeSAT automatically download all necessary packs - like yab - with it, You can even add warning which should have other ones do to download too and be installed as prereqs.

{ FROM HERE the below sections were written for everyone.
I do not expect to @lelldorin himself provide any result of my thinktank below. This warning is inserted here to make more clear my post and clarify my intention for everyone who reads my post after edited such this way. Thanks.}

Otherwise, with this program you let HW check for Haiku (actually just in Haiku) unchained.
I mean this or similar program needs on other OS from where other users would switch to Haiku.
Such a program using online database can advice a user to know what they can expect with their hardware - especially if ithe checker can detect BIOS or UEFI available in current mainboard of actual machine , 32 or 64 bit Haiku recommended, etc.
Also such program should run in a minimal OS even a Linux or DOS – before boot Haiku itself – to detect if Haiku could boot on such machine with : what kind of settings on it, what services features won’t be available on Haiku due to proper driver or sotware (like 3D acceleration or wifi) are missing.

I were very lucky as both Dell laptop machine (from 2005 and 2012) I had tried reached Haiku desktop - only failed with wifi setup - this way I had not experienced any kind of KDL or blacklist hardware or native resolution fails.

If someone would capable to develop and run this kind of tool using offline database or in case internet access available - an online databese - on Linux and/or DOS – before Haiku boot starts : that would start a revolution of successful Haiku boot as well.

Thank you in advance if you read all of this post -

EDIT : fixed typos mainly.
EDIT2 : This happens due to answer from @lelldorin below.
I would confirm here and now - to clarify -
the whole post here written to @lelldorin AND partly for everyone who reads it, so there was 2 part :
I used sections and separated them with empty lines.
section 1 : this was about the tool and requests related to modify

section 2 : it was about one simple warning to expect other ideas which would be written in this thread such I wrote in some next sections.
(I highlighted and supplementally modified my warning now.)
Firstly I explained my warning about ideas can come using examples.

section 3 : I just shared my luck and explained how much was it for me.

section 4 : ok, here I requested again to have a one hpkg that contain “an offline” version of the tool that contains all dependencies to be able to download from Besly site from OTHER OS and after make available by user on Haiku using a thimbdrive. (I move it and paste to section 1 now.)

section 5 (will be new section 4 after I moved original section 4) : here I wrote about my ideas if someone would rewrite this tool for running in other environments
----> for such purpose as in for Haiku it exists
----> and further purpose :
to see a report from hardware and what could be expected in Haiku
a) as that client would read online database and search for actual PC model version and current hardware in it.
b) Or from an offline version of such database
if they would accept to dowload it via this client, as actually this database available only from Haiku if I understood well.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback.

SystemAnalysisTool is written in yab and needs only this requirement. The question for me there to place a package for offline use, because it need to install using HaikuDepot too and here yab installs too.

I have a little tool at work to make a backup of installed packages wirh all dependencies for offline work, but now at the beginning.

This makes no sense with my program because it stores data from the running hw and the user input. This to make the feeling and observation using the system make seeable. This infos are for that people who wants to know which hw is supported and infos for the devs for driver development and bug hunting.

But how to add the hardware data into a online database or here software database too without internet? :wink:

SystemAnalysisTool is written yab and this language is haiku only.

The most people have a mobile phone, so you can export the entered hw data as zip file and copy it on a usb stick, then using a usb adapter to open the stick with the phone and send the hw data to our mail address.

If you think what the hw data should added to a database on haiku and then automatically uploaded then internet is available is this not my way to do, because i think the user should decide this by himself.

Dear @lelldorin !

I modiified my post to make more clear regarding my request about the tool,
what are only ideas, and so this way - summarized my intentions.
What are asking/expected from you and what are only possibilities - if someone – in this way even you, but not only you – could take a job for himself :slight_smile:

Please check it out.

Also here - I answer some points from your answer - how I ment when I wrote originally.

Point 1 : thanks, I accept that you work already on the offline resolution to be able to install tool as if Besly site available only from other OS than Haiku.

Point2 : I wrote as my idea :

I mean this or similar program needs on other OS

-----> I understood this tool is not possible to make available in this actual form due to yab and is intended to run on running Haiku and report what works from there.

-----> But a similar one client tool THAT do the same on other OS ( as where the internet connection is healthy and alive ) and checks hardware items comparing entries from online database ?

Of course report to user also - if nothing available such this way :

"We are terribly sorry, but your actual hardware $VENDOR / $ MODEL was not scanned and reported from Haiku Legacy (x86 32bit) and/or from Haiku (x86 64bit).
This way there is no entries about your actual config in our HAiku online database.
Our tool actually cannot compare your hardware to online database entries as those are still missing from the database.
Would you mind to help us - download and create USB flash / thumbdrive or optical drive iinstaller to try to boot Haiku to run similar - but advanced - tool within chosen Haiku version of yours ?

Platform should be x86 (32bit) or x86_64 (64bit) - other available platforms are not stable but experimental and / or under development - this way officially not supported yet.
If you would run our tool on such platform(s), please be patient until stable boot image would not officially available for such platform(s) - Risc-V, ARM, ARM64, PowerPC. Thank you for your understanding.

Your system is $VERSION { 32 or 64 bit would appear here } so you have to download $VERSION { 32 or 64 bit would appear here }.

You dont have to worry as all Haiku install is a so called - “Live” version - as well.
It means : no changes happens if you select this option against direct install immediately – during boot the installer material…

We would like if you would support Haiku project and other people who owns a same hardware - with your valuable data : your hw/sw scan and your answers as well.

This means that the affected tool - BeSlySAT - is interactive on Haiku moreover the available features are advanced to other OSes as works in Haiku. It is not only scans your hardware but asks about functioning and Haiku software capabilities as well.

Those cannot be verified from your OS you actually use daily, but from Haiku only.

From your actual OS - $OS - where you launche our tool -
we can provide Haiku capabilities if someone at least once provided such data from within Haiku $VERSION or Haiku $VERSION { other than actual environment the user use but also available, I mean theoretically if this hw not capable or technically if yes, also that is available to boot install here } using BeSlySAT to reate such report abd sending data into the online Haiku database."

So this way.

Point 3 :

Mailing the stuff is basicly ok, but
if there is no net available in Haiku
or the user cannot configure mailing,
as he generally use it directly on the net as a cloud software service (like Gmail) in his daily OS , he might not configure mailing in Haiku as it is available there.

Without partition what available from both other OS (MacOS, Linux, BSD, Windows, ArcaOS ) and Haiku it is very tricky to move the zip file to send it via mail from where a generic user can send this data to you to upload to your database.

Of course there is that possibility the generic user checks out Webpositive – if they find it – and use Gmail from there.

Honestly -
Does it work ?

I could not check it as for me everything worked in Haiku that offline should work even ethernet connected but the wireless net that would be must have for me as my possibility actually reduces to reach net via wireless as my mobilerouter can be accessed only via wifi. Via wired router the net is not available actually.
Although it connects to mobile router as I configured (quickly checked on mobilerouter it has no incoming connection from that router so this is this way more problematic) it attempts to reach via wan port (maybe due to that router does not connect to mobile router via wlan. I try to fix it) but actually nothing there.
So my summary to this point :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

“But how to add the hardware data into a online database or here software database too without internet?”

From other OSes - with another but similar tool - which only use Haiku online database entries to report Haiku HW/SW possibilities with actual hardware info available from actual OS ($VENDOR / $MODEL, etc - all I explained above)
I really do not expect to work on it yourself but maybe someone(s) from the community picks up this idea now
or write reluctantly

"Öhmmm, I worked on such project $YEARS ago I could not finish / I had not shared / I forgot it to tell about - but here you can find source $URL and or hpkg $URL … Feel free to install / develop to tailor to your needs / fix it to finish nad have running – as you wish … "

:laughing:

Finally

Point 4 :

“SystemAnalysisTool is written yab and this language is haiku only.”

First - I accept this and originally not intended to make it available by you yourself.
Sorry for my un- or non-clarified section in my original post.
I had not marked there this option I had not expected from you directly, however I had not excluded you as well this way to provide such tool by yourself.
Is this answer satisfy you this way ?

As I wrote in modified post and this post above : “If someone …” :smiley:

Have a nice day !

EDIT : fixed typos + enhanced english :slight_smile: - if possible :smiley: in my case

1 Like