Land of the Leaves

Well, actually, alongside my love for Be/Haiku, it’d only be honest of me to say I’m a huge fan of (classic) Apple and the Palm as well. And I do admit to liking and using Gnu(Hurd/Linux) along with the above trio. As for your question, I searched the forum and found this profile, but I’m not sure if this is him. I have to admit I was (and still am) amazed at all the Be stuff I found on his Flickr page – there is so much history there! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for this trip down memory lane. Seeing an active fanbase makes smile.

It’s been a while since I’ve posted about Land of the Leaves. Is there any more info or stuff anyone knows about that I could add to the site?

I found a link to Be stuff, including the Max edition on a Be group on Facebook, so hopefully I can share the image on my site, since Be is defunct.

IP owner allowed them to create and publish the MAX distribution.

Who, Access? It’d be interesting to learn more about this story. :slight_smile:

Okay, I know I’m bumping my own thread up the list— but does anyone have an answer to this question (about Max)? I’m still debating what to do with it. If it’s questionable to reshare it, I won’t.

I remember the topic of the MAX edition coming up when the legality/legitimacy of Zeta put out first by yellowTab and later by Magnusoft was questioned by the community as well as by Access.

As far as I understood at that time, the MAX edition was allowed to continue. The individual publishing the MAX edition had asked Access which granted permission to continue do this. Permission was granted because MAX was simply a repackaging of the existing BeOS PE with binary patched bootloaders/kernels for some hardware.s I notably remember a AMD patch and a memory greater than 512 MB patch.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. :slightly_smiling_face: Well, I guess this means I won’t re-share a copy of Max, then. Nothing would prevent making a video of it, though, so I guess I could do that sometime.

I ever have thiswish about a free hybrid beos haiku distro, a kind of update from haiku to beos.

Which parts of BeOS would still be of any use today?

1 Like

Hey, nice oxymoron!

2 Likes

I think you’re misunderstanding what my question was. I was talking about re-sharing the image, not the source.

I was replying to cosmogatokat, who suggested mixing Haiku with BeOS.

Oh. My bad; thanks.

Maybe the ppc version with some of source from haiku can be good… for example…Webpositive or ¿haikudepot? Cause there are not a ppc version it can be a temporal way to mantain that scene hyped temporally, but really dont know if it worth.

1. AFAIK there is no PE version for PPC, so the proposed “mix” would be not distributable because copyrights.

2. It absolutely makes no sense as WebPositive requires GCC5+ wich is not available for BeOS.

3. That scene is long died, let it rest in peace and try to help at the PPC port to make Haiku working on PPC machines, without any copyright infringement.

3 Likes
  1. there is literally no PPC machine at the markt wich can run BeOS, so what kind of “hype” would it generate?

Never knew about the “Cotton Squares” band mentioned in this thread: The Cotton Squares “new” tunes . I copied the above link to this thread (since the Dropbox link inside it is not mine) to Land of the Leaves on the Media+Links page under Media, Videos, and Presentations.

Thanks to @shaka444 for posting these; I’ve definitely learned something new from this. Now if only there could be some Haiku music. :smile:

Just wanted to mention that I’m thinking of moving ‘Land of the Leaves’ and giving it a new name. Right now, it’s kind of hard to find in the search engines I’ve tested looking for it with, and I’d like more people to discover Be and Haiku history.

If anyone knows of a better name I can give it, let me know. I’d also love to post stuff about Haiku in other places as well to ‘get the word out’ to new users.

It’s been a long time since I’ve given any attention to this project at all; I’m currently thinking of how to actually make it relevant and maybe add new content. I know recently the Hakilo scripts and themes came out… so hopefully I can start writing about new stuff. Open to any and all suggestions, everyone. :wink: