The Cotton Squares "new" tunes

After digging through “The Wayback Machine” at archive.org I found 40 new Cotton Square tunes!

If you were around in the Be days, you probably remember The Cotton Squares- a band made up of BeOS engineers and their songs were shipped with R5

“The Cotton Squares are a Menlo Park, CA-based rock and roll quartet featuring singer/guitarist Baron Arnold, rhythm guitarist Doug Wright, bassist (and occasional guitar soloist) Jeff Bush, and drummer Ficus Kirkpatrick.”
Here’s a link

Enjoy!
-shaka

6 Likes

Haiku technically has permission to re-distribute the BeOS songs to some degree. I asked one of the band members a few years ago. I should dig that email up.

7 Likes

Wow! Never knew of this! This is really cool; thanks for sharing.

These tracks are not all officially “Cotton Squares” tunes but almost all are w Baron Arnold singing and many of them are Baron and Ficus in a project called “Kissing Contest”. Others appear to be solo stuff by Baron.
If anyone can find any more tunes, please post here!

Here’s some more stuff I found including an alternate version of “Focus Pocus” one of the tunes distributed with BeOS

Thanks @shaka444! It looks like the Dropbox link has expired; could you re-post please?

We should find a more stable hosting for these and write a recipe to make a package from it :smiley:

1 Like

It depends on what this collection included, but I think i have a lot of the stuff.

Puro cumo el agua - is especially amazing… “… I busted my ass on a sinking ship and I believed the words of a little French pr**k. My minds gone crazy with lies!” I feel Baron was a little bitter over his time at Be.

Thank you!

I remember seeing 5038.mp3 in the BeOS PE 5.0.38 update, I think it was one of the audio test files, sounded awesome at the time and still does.

“BeOS is, The OS”

I’m listening to the rest now, sweet nostalgia!