I3 and awesome

Is possible increase a one windows similar i3 or awesome mw?

On haiku is gluing windows is possible add :slight_smile:maksimize horizontaly , verticaly and mowing border between windows? And easy mowing between windows

1 Like

Consult with the user guide: https://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/gui.html#stack-tile
You can extend the functionality with input-server-addons and automate things with scripting trough “hey”.

I know, but i3 is better than this.

I ask about completly different thinks: maximize, increase windows on maximize mode etc.

1 Like

https://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/keyboard-shortcuts.html

please look a videos on my links or other videos on youtube
is very similar windowM on Mac os X

Thats all what Haiku support. You can extend it. Or you can propose changes.

1 Like

changes:

maksimize group of windows and manipulate

You have to explain your idea with more details, 6 words won’t be enough.

What would it do and when?
What is a “group of windows”?
Which shortcut should be used?
Should it be default or does it needs a preflet?
How would work the “revert to original size”?
What does “manipulate” means?
How sould it work?
Etc…

For change proposal use the bugtracker system: https://dev.haiku-os.org/
Or you can try to implement them and send your changes upstream.

I have to chuckle a bit here. I use i3wm as my X window manager. I love it. I also love the haiku GUI. Both have strengths and weaknesses. A lot of what you want to do with the Haiku GUI to be more i3 like has to do with automation of windowing tasks and handling of window decorators. I’ve been tossing around several ideas regarding this. Most of the time I think our ‘hey’ scripting language would be up to the tasks of implementing i3 like functionality and modifying decorators into the Haiku GUI, without ripping apart the GUI system we have in place. ‘hey’ might just be the ticket there.

1 Like

There are some tutorials on our stack and tile and windowing handling already. There are system implemented hot keys described in these tutorials for switching windows and such. It should not be a huge task to handle this type a goal with hey.

1 Like

Have you used a tiling window manager? They are quite nifty and efficient. Window management is automated and is keyboard driven, not mouse driven. Windows take up the full screen by default. As more windows are added, they are automatically tiled and resized to fit. At any given point you’re a few keystrokes from opening and closing apps and arranging the windows how you wish. Haiku has a bit of this functionality built in. I’m willing to bet that hey could handle the automagic bits of this.

1 Like

Think of this functionality request as taking stack and tile to the next level. Make it automated, keyboard driven and utilize the full screen by default. To get the full picture of what can be accomplished, I’d suggest taking i3wm for a spin on xorg in pretty much any *nix. It is just a simple xorg window manager. Any xorg install should be capable of running it. It is quite an efficient work flow paradigm. It is different enough that most people would need to experience it to get the gist of it. I couldn’t grasp it until I immersed myself in it. It’s not your grandpa’s windowing manager. Mousing is totally optional, and actually discouraged.

I don’t necessarily think it should be in Haiku by default. I think it could be simply implemented as a third-party system on top of Haiku. My guess is that it could largely be implemented using Preferences->Shortcuts, hey, and possibly another scripting language such as lua or python to glue it all together. A simple C++ native Haiku preferences app could be used to manage settings. Most of the heavy lifting is already done natively in Haiku.

2 Likes