Vulcan and ... linux

This is continuation of I3 and awesome and Question about X11
Haiku have very small team developer.

Meybe good idea will be port whole windows system to Vulcan and add this to linux too.

1. BeOs will have link to new driver vulcan
  2. more dev working on wmindow menager, themes, functionality

I would like to ger more quicly new version of my environ.

To do that libdrm and it’s kernel counterpart would have to be ported, and them Mesa on top of that… otherwise no Vulkan or OpenGL acceleration so no point in doing it.

@waddlesplash and @kallisti5 are probably the two most knowledgeable guys about this and @rudolfc also as he wrote the old NVidia driver BeOS for early GeForce cards. Basically it’s probably (1-3 man months of work (going from waddlesplashes estimate of 1mo :stuck_out_tongue: ) … thats a lot, basically 2-3 years of weekends invested by a single developer also only working sporadically on things is less efficient as you can’t get in a groove etc…

Also it seems you want to port the windowing system to Linux? I don’t think any developers here want to do that other than Barrett who is a nice guy but can be hard to get along with at times . (he has some think like what you suggest in progress for V/OS https://github.com/Barrett17/V-OS).

I think if it were done properly patches to get app_server running accelerated on top of Vulcan may be acceptable here though… it would require serious research into what make sense though. In many cases directly drawing things with the CPU is faster, but for more complex rendering GPU will always win (rendering webpages for instance).

I think any futuristic GPU accelerated GUI framework should take inspiration from WebRender…

Also looncraz has a work in progress software compositor for the app_server.