HELP WANTED: Haiku R1/beta4 boot & hardware testing!

you should run a system memory test on that machine, last time i had those kinda of page fualts, it was bad stick of ram. i was running haiku at the time.

2 Likes

I finally figured out how to make the UEFI bootloader work on my system. The install application could use some polish but I figured it out.

2 Likes

It works really well but WiFi disconnects and reconnects quite often. It was the same in beta 3 but at least now it reconnects faster!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, but I don’t think it’s because I have it on 2 machines.

No problems on beta 3 and nightlys with the same machines.

Excuse me, I’ve found in this article

Fixed volume names of newly created FAT16/32 filesystems via mkfs (and fat fs_tools)

but…

Still, if I create and format a new FAT32 partition in DriveSetup and I keep the suggested volume name “New FAT32 vol”, it returns an error (maybe due to blank spaces within volume name, because if I insert one without spaces the process completes flawlessy).

It seems related to that problem with mkfs, or not?

Please make bugreports on dev.haiku-os.org for any problem you notice, not posts on the forum

Is the bugtracker free for beta4 bugreports now? I do not make some because here are a call for testing, not official beta 4 release.

There is a “version” field in the bugreports, you can select the version you are using there. And mention the hrev from AboutSystem in the description as usual.

1 Like

As there was a comment in Release notes about fat32 volume names I thought that it was an error already fixed.

Ticket opened, thank you

Just submitted the survey. Installed on HP DV7 6120tx (about 2009) laptop. Formatted the drive to remove R3 and installed this version. I ticked the additional packages but on booting, the system was unable to find gcc (amongst others). Tried reinstalling with pkgman but unsuccessful. Formatted drive again and installed without additional packages. Once booted into the new system I installed the packages with pkgman. All OK. Apart from that, everything seemed to work out of the box (have not tried bluetooth yet).
Took a while to install packages as the repositories seem to be slow in serving - or the wireless card in the laptop not working well - don’t know how to tell. Great work anyway!

If I install this, will it update to the R1/beta4 RC and final release, or will I have to install an official R1/beta4 down the line?

Also, even though I’m pretty sure I’m the only person in the world using Haiku on an Atari VCS 800, I’ll mention that it will now boot without blacklisting the AMD driver, but Wi-Fi and sound are still no-goes.

1 Like

beta4 hangs on boot (rocket icon) on my otherwise well supported Dell Optiplex 7010.
It also fails spectacularly on a MacBook Air 11" late 2011 with a beautiful kernel panic. Now I think this has nothing to do with beta4. I have not turned on this laptop for a while and now I discovered that anything after 56471 enters KDL with PANIC: module bus_managers/pci/x86/v1 has no reference.
I’ll open a ticket for this regression.
I filled the survey but this is as far as I can get. I’ll investigate later this week.

It works very well on my Thinkpad X230. Still the occasional crash with Web+, but on the whole it’s really good. Installation was very quick and easy. Wireless works fine.

Great work!

1 Like

Thanks your feedback, @zuMi !

So you assume the chipset

ATI (AMD) RADEON Xpress 200M (RC410M) + ATI (AMD) SB450

on board is not supported by a driver in Haiku, and it cause that boot fails ?

Well it may be -

What you wrote about UEFI + Secure Boot is not related at least in my case as
this PC is old system, so BIOS only.
Boot from USB has no relation to UEFI and or Secure Boot - boot from USB existed before UEFI entered on the stage - if the BIOS itself supports that.boot option you can boot from USB.
This is available on FUJITSU SIEMENS AMILO LI 1720, I could set USB thumbdrive, disk or USB CDROM to boot from, so the problem might be as you pointed out : Haiku cannot handle above AMD chipset.

are you running from bare metal or usb stick live booted ??

I’m just curious, i might put that machine together and try to recreate this bug

I am running from usb on bar metal

Either the repo urls are for beta4 and you can update directly, or you will have to change them later for that. In either case it should be pretty painless to update to beta4 itself

1 Like

My Ryzen 5 2400G machine could not boot haiku 32-bit, not in uefi mode nor in compatibility mode, I tried both usb2 and usb3 ports. I cannot even reach to the haiku boot manager to try safemode, to exclude an usb problem I attached a ps2 keyboard without success. What I get is 2 flashes of monitor which (both) show a blinking cursor and then a cold reboot without errors. The same usb stick works on other machines (BIOS boot)

The same machine with haiku 64-bit boots fine without problems

In another machine (AMD FX™ 4300 x4) Haiku 32-bit does boot only in bios mode (compatibility mode), if I choose uefi stick from uefi boot selection it falls back to the normal uefi boot (in my case is rEFInd). Haiku 64 boots regularly in uefi mode.

On an UEFI only Intel laptop I cannot boot Haiku 32-bit, but Haiku 64 can boot.
Are you sure Haiku 32-bit boots on EFI systems?