Have a better default Desktop Environment

But where we can get it? It just look gorgeous, is cruel :disappointed_relieved:

My preferred dock is lnlauncher, which goes better with the haiku look.

More precise,
 when? interesting question

You can use any .png or .svg icon you want - this is not released as I haven’t yet spent the time to get it working on nightlies (only works on R1/Alpha4) - you’re welcome to a copy of it for R1/Alpha4 to check it out. (requires Qt 4.8.5 - I think - can’t remember if it installs all the needed libs or if Qt is an external dependency)

ah nice so you are still working on it?
what do you wait for? for a Beta release?

1 Like

I see what you did there. :joy::laughing::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Open it please.

I am a modern user in this day and age.
If I had a choice between Haiku and Windo$ 10 I would pick Haiku.
In terms of graphics I love the CDE look, but I do not use Haiku because it looks great. I use Haiku because it is great.

Edit:
what ever happens (or doesn’t) to Haiku’s graphics don’t take away the tab-grouping.

3 Likes

CDE is one of my favorite desktop environments (back in the old days of VMS, SunOS, Solaris, HP-UX, etc
) :sunglasses:

It might not be entirely the same, but CDE is still available to try
 in a manner of speaking. :slight_smile: Here’s a page with a rare download link for CDEbian. No offense to the alluring looks and charm of the BeOS and Haiku Desktop, but personally speaking, the original Aqua has to be my #1 favorite, imho:

6 Likes

I became a Mac user prior to Mac OS X’s initial release (I even participated in the public beta) and at first I wasn’t all that fond of Aqua and was more of a fan of Platinum (from classic Mac OS), but I came around quickly enough. I was more excited about the underpinnings of Mac OS X than anything else (Unix under the hood for starters, which was a dream come true back in those days).

3 Likes

Nice Aros themes to pull on Haiku:

http://www.tinyaros.flazio.com/

1 Like

The AROS variants are confusing to me.

1 Like

That’s just it though. I prefer the Haiku desktop setup as is. I want 90’s computing metaphors to come back. I want a single-user pc without having to make logins, accounts, etc. I feel like changing the DE would pretty much betray the principles upon which Haiku was started.

3 Likes

so, i like the haiku desktop just the way it os. i think newer windows and linix desktops are hideous and obfuscated

4 Likes

My main machine is a MacBook Pro, 2019. Not maxed out, but pretty nice. I still like BeOS/Haiku better in terms of desktop paradigm. And this community is just super sweet. I really do appreciate everyone that takes the time to engage here.

Haiku feels special to me, special enough to pitch in where and when I can. I don’t code, but I can write.

1 Like

I like Haikus DE and it’s the main reason I fell in love with the OS. It’s functional and it’s not that „modern design“ which macOS and windows promote, which IMHO are tasteless.

I like the details in the overall look and feel. To name some examples; Detailed Icons, the color scheme is easy on the eyes, deskbar is not overloaded etc
 In terms of functionality, the desktop paradigm is well thought out and helps with being productive. On macOS window management is just horrible, windows fixes that to some degree but has other inconveniences. Tabbing or merging windows, resizing, moving them around etc. are the things which makes Haiku so valuable (for me). And as already mentioned in this thread, trends in „design“ come and go. I also hope the time comes when we move forward from that tasteless „flat“ designs.

Cheers and have a good day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The tab and stack windows feature alone is worth running Haiku. While it is far from a daily driver for me right now, I see steady progress, and I like what I’m seeing.

1 Like

I am a lover of Haiku’s ‘Retro Future’ UI; it is one of the many things that I find appealing about the OS. Both the ‘retro’ 3D aesthetic and its unique functionality (window tabs, etc) are part of the appeal, and part of why it is my preferred and dominant daily driver (along with MacOS and iOS and Android, all of which I opnly use for specific tasks/scenarios).

I like the facility it provides for detailed colour customisation, and also the potential for skinning. By all means provide an “even flatter” skin for those who want to use one (I might even use it from time to time), but please do not eliminate what we already have.

Of course, nothing is perfect, and everything can be refined. Support for full-screen borderless windows via a widget/key combo or guesture, window tiling/snapping etc would be nice, but I love what we already have. The Deskbar could also use some refinement and modernisation, but I would not like to see a radical change in direction for it. It has “good bones” :wink:

3 Likes

It’s always a matter of opinion. for me personally, an operating system is the surface from which I start applications and games. I don’t need a colorful operating system with overloaded amounts of data and storage space that is not necessary.

A system should be lean so that there is room for what is important.

3 Likes