Have a better default Desktop Environment

The UI is definitely one of the reasons why I enjoy Haiku. For me there are only two things that would make the out-of-box experience of Haiku after a fresh install almost perfect (and both are related to launching apps):

• Have applications grouped into some categories by default. This is something that has been discussed already a lot, and from what I see almost everyone would agree on this, but the details on how to handle it are somewhat tricky.
  • Have something like QuickLaunch integrated by default. The ability to launch an application by just entering a few search characters is for me the single most useful feature of ā€œmodernā€ desktop environments. Only that almost all of those then made the mistake of making the browsing of the list of installed applications a horrible experience. Hence the first point :slight_smile:

Apart from that I enjoy the fact that Haiku offers a modern OS while retaining a lot of the great things of 90s and 2000s OS experience.

8 Likes

Applications grouped into categories by dragā€™n drop together with QuickLaunch integrated in that Categories-sorting-App would be nice!

Like: ā€¦search for apps, then drag them to the categories you createdā€¦

4 Likes