Haiku R1/beta5 has been released! | Haiku Project

After about a year and a half since the last beta, Haiku R1/beta5 has been released. See “Release Notes” for the release notes, “Press contact”, for press inquiries … and “Get Haiku!” to skip all that and just download the release (or upgrade to it from an existing install!)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.haiku-os.org/news/2024-09-13_haiku_r1_beta5
49 Likes

Amazing work everyone!! Special thanks to @waddlesplash for his awesome work as release coordinator for R1/beta5!!!

17 Likes

Thank you for the work on Haiku! :heart_eyes:

I will try it quite soon.

The R1 Beta R4 has been installed as my main OS on my NUC Intel, so I hope to continue to use this new version on this machine as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

…And on Friday 13th too!

Well done to all concerned. Can’t wait to give it a go.

4 Likes

It was very interesting story to follow the transition

from R1B4 stage* – which brought many new features/browsers/other apps into Haiku

*(better POSIX compatibility, Xlib (X11) compatibility layer,
Wayland compatibility layer and GTK 3: those altogether make available more ported browser possibilities, new Wifi drivers from *BSDs )

to R1B5 stage** – that took more and more developer-candy stuff , polished OS services, network improvement and wider stability and reliability into Haiku

**( native Genio IDE, .NET port, GDB GNU debugger port, USB Audio (!) fix, other USB refactorings, TUN/TAP driver and protocol,really very old tickets and bugs fixed during the way thanks to refactoring and new contributors, SSL/TLS uprade to more up-to-date version, network refactorings, Tracker improvements, FAT driver is being rewritten, UFS2 (RO) and XFS improved a lot however not merged yet, and not merged yet many things as those ones developments are in progress : WebKit2, HW virtualization support)

I must admit - there were many fix in R1B4 too and … refactoring and OS stability , relaibility work started in that period, but the overall “feeling” was that this one and half year better happened “working under the hood” as if you take consideration … all the huge ports also went in that manner - I enlisted them above. :j

Thank you for better performance and reliability both in terms of OS and network !

:nerd_face:

8 Likes

Congratulations on the beta5 release. Already updated the first one of my Haiku VMs, worked flawlessly. A big Thank You to everyone that contributed to this release. I’m proud to be a part of such an amazing community!

7 Likes

just upgraded to Haiku R1/beta5,
(on Friday the thirteenth, 2024/09/13)
the whole procedure was easy and fast,
keep up the good work, developers/maintainers,
congrats!

5 Likes

Congratulations Haiku team, great news for the community.
Just a quick question, do users who followed the beta5 release candidates need to download and install the final beta5, or they just need to update as usual? I am guessing the latter but it’s better to ask.

1 Like

As long as your repositories are set to r1beta5, all you need to do is full-sync as normal, yes.

5 Likes

Congratulations and thanks to all involved! Onwards to R1! :100:

6 Likes

Will try in in the evening, congratulation to everyone involved, thank you all

Great news! Thank you devs.

Up until which hrev is in the beta 5 release?

hrev57937+113 at the moment.

1 Like

Congratulations!!!

Congrats on releasing R1B5.

Generally businesses will release bad news on Friday hoping that people will be too busy on the weekend to notice and release good news on Monday or Tuesday hoping it will get picked up by the press. Hopefully the tech press will notice this and publish some articles next week even though not all the press gets is positive these days.

Although not every feature I was hoping for made it into this release, those updating from R1B4 should notice a few subtle improvements that have made their way in over the last 20 months (while avoiding bugs that crept into nightlies).

3 posts were split to a new topic: Trouble booting in virtualbox

No one’s updated Wikipedia yet? Still says Beta 4

IT IS ALIVE!!! It is up and running

Congatulations to everyone who contributed to this beautiful labor of love we call Haiku!
Personally I can’t thank you enough that this little dream of this little group has come So Far.
Love and thanks to all

2 Likes