Haiku R1/beta1 has been released | Haiku Project

Correct. In fact, I referenced the file you need to edit.

Well, finally the Beta boots on my PC and fixing #13415 :joy:

But I have no wlan connection with my “supported”
Atheros AR9287 wireless :disappointed_relieved:
Bug #8351

Nice to have Beta. The Mesa driver is though still broken… bummer.

1 Like

Hint: Check how the PM works.

1 Like

Exellent news. very cool. a big well done to all that contributed. :smile:

1 Like

After checking/reading about that, I wonder how that will scale when you start adding “a lot” of apps. Also, how that would use the ram :thinking:

Ouch :frowning:

Propose an alternative, how it should work. Do not forget to study well the current solution, the development articles, notes, todos in the sources.
Nothing written in stone, but the PM will stay.

Think about it, ask developers at irc if something unclear, about the special cases, etc, create an uml, propose changes.

1 Like

Dont think i am critizing how it is done, nor saying it was bad. In fact i love how the system works (specially the cmd: way to search/install with pkgman) and how fast it does its job.

But if using pkgs begin to eat ram in big chunks, then the users with low ram count might have problems. I just gave 1GB to my VMs and i am still far from a limit, yet wondering what might happen

1 Like

Very excited about the beta! It’s like miracle news! I look forward to showing off the build anywhere I can, and as mentioned in another post, will be sure to share links as soon as this is done. Go Haiku!

2 Likes

Not booting in my machine, can’t find boot partitions or something like that, how do i debug? I actually want to use the os daily because my notebook is pretty slow.

I also tried the safe mode with everything turned on.

If you can upload the syslog by pluggin in a fat32 USB drive and saving the previous boot’s log that may help us figure out what the issue is. (it says in ram if you haven’t booted an OS).

Also note USB3 support is incomplete and that can cause this issue on USB3 hardware.

https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/ReportingBugs

This is the preferred method for gaining information from a non-booting system.
The syslog (short for system log) contains valuable information about what has happened in your system, including the output of KDL sessions. It’s usually a good idea to attach it to the kernel related Trac ticket. The syslog is written to the file /boot/system/var/log/syslog. Since writing to a file requires a working system, the most recent output might not have made it to the syslog when a kernel problem occurs (particularly on spontaneous reboots or uncontinuable KDL sessions).

The option Enable debug syslog in the boot loader’s Debug menu makes the syslog somewhat persistent in memory. By default the option is enabled. “Somewhat persistent” means that it survives a reset and will still be accessible when you enter the boot loader menu directly afterwards. Booting an operating system (Haiku definitely, others likely) destroys the information, though. So you have to enter the boot loader menu, e.g. by holding down the Shift key. In the boot loader’s Debug menu you should now find the entries Display syslog from previous session and Save syslog from previous session. The former displays the syslog on screen, the latter allows you to save it as a file to disk. Note that at the moment only FAT32 volumes are supported for writing the file to. If you want to use a USB stick, but have plugged it in too late so that it isn’t recognized yet, you can reset the machine and re-enter the boot loader menu. But again: Don’t accidentally boot any operating system or the data will be lost.

1 Like

thank you, i’m going to do this later!

Update: after enabling the on screen debug option i can see a lot of usb errors and stuff, it certainly is about usb. Thanks.

1 Like

You should upload your syslog if possible… this will help the developers out to determine if it is just a common bug they know about or it could be something they haven’t seen before … but they can’t fix it unless people report in with the details needed!

Can you please tell me where you got that information from? Because the official information says otherwise.

kneekoo - Suggestion only.

Update: The suggested info comes from using my own x86_gcc2 system. The memory sits around 270MB RAM after desktop appears from boot. As for the suggested processor, most modern media, (i.e. multimedia (sound/video), apps ‘request’ at least a SSE2 or higher capable processor.

Now, I’m sure someone will strip things down to fit Haiku in 64MB-128MB RAM. That is another subject. I
suggested that if a user is going to boot/install/use Haiku in a satisfactory manner, then 512 MB RAM is suggested for users versus trying to have users work within a 256MB RAM or lower scenario. This also comes from use of the browser, PM, and Media player.

Believe that a journalist (of sorts) will try to use Haiku at 256MB RAM only to report the issue. Best to better
explain things for power users curious enough to take the red pill or travel down the rabbit hole…

There seems to be a problem with the installer somehow. When I tried to install it into an USB disk (from anyboot-image to USB live disk) it installed but it does not make the USB disk bootable. If you try to use it you get “operating system missing”. Looks like the installer does not make the installed-to disk bootable by default which is bad for new-comers not knowing much about how creating bootable mediums work.

EDIT: It is also not possible to use DiskSetup to make the USB disk a bootable partition after installing. You have to use other operating system tools to fix this problem.

Check the Installer menu.