Haiku R1/beta1 has been released | Haiku Project

That’s not the problem. The drive setup point is there, this is correct, but the DriveSetup launched does not work correctly. I can format the USB drive and create a new partition on it with the bootable flag set. DriveSetup does format but fails to set the bootable bit. So without the help of a foreign OS to switch successfully on the bootable flag of that partition it is not possible to boot.

Are you using optical disc or USB?

If optical disc, is-it via an internal or external drive?

There is an existing ticket for an external optical drive ( https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/14090 ).

I have encountered this issue for an internal optical drive of a Thinkpad T520 with R1 Beta 1 and HRev 51911. In a test with my older R1 Alpha 3 CD, the boot volume was found. Of several Thinkpad tested, the T520 was the only one observed to have this issue.

Hi, i’m using with usb.

@cb88 if i understand it correctly, i need 2 usbs, one to boot haiku and collect the system log into memory, then i restart into the boot loader menu and use the other usb with FAT32 volumes to save the system log, is that correct?

Yes That should work.

1 Like

You should’ve mentioned it’s your personal suggestion, so we don’t have to look where those recommendations come from.

Does anyone maintain a list of BeOS apps tested on Haiku R1 Beta?

@cb88 The option to display the system log from previous session doesn’t appears here :frowning:

When looking for previous syslog, you should reboot the computer without booting a different OS and without turning it off. (warm reboot)

Yow may also want to try on-screen debug output (without paging willbe faster):
Reporting bugs
https://www.haiku-os.org/docs/welcome/en/bugreports.html

@IIsi50MHz @cb88 I managed to boot my system, turns out the problem was the uefi support lol! I’m able to get logs now, the touchpad isn’t working and i need to turn on fail safe graphics. Going to open some bug reports later.

2 Likes

Beta x64 working flawlesly (no need to safe mode, no tweaks done) , with sound, ethernet and good screen resolution (1600x900) on our home old HP Pavilion Desktop:

screenshot2

Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz, 4GB DDR3, Intel HD Graphics
Chipset: Intel H61
Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411

Might help for people looking for compatible hardware.

3 Likes

Mentioned elsewhere that it runs like a train on an old N150 laptop that had been consigned to the rubbish draw. (It was rubbish when it was new running Windows 7 starter).

After some huffing and puffing, I got it working on an old black MacBook. (Core 2 Duo, 2 gb RAM).

Seems the installer needs work with the bootloader instructions - thankfully it’s really quick to load and install as I think it took me 7 or 8 goes to get it to boot. This is partly due to the fact the Mac has a proprietary boot screen (from it’s custom EFI) and that means you look at a blank white screen for quite a while with no clue of what’s happening inside.

PLOP boot ultimately help as that finally seems to work on the older Macs.

Didn’t expect this at all! I think I was a bit touched the first time I read it :smiley:

1 Like

Congratulations to this milestone and thank you for your hard work to keep this idea alive!

2 Likes

Интересная информация.У меня i5 тоже второго поколения.Оперативной памяти правда 8 гигабайт.Чипсет аналогичный.Единственное но не знаю как сможет ось работать с 1 Тб жестким диском и беспроводным Atheros AR9002WB-NG1 и с ASMedia XHCI контроллером?