Haiku new Wallpapers!

Many of us do too, @kneekoo. However, there should be other wallpapers available for users in the beta as a way of commemorating it and to give more included options for customization out-of-the-box.

Love this idea. Even better would be if the white leaf was centered and had some effects added to it, itā€™d actually look pretty modern ā€“ without a preset position (current way), or tiling, multiple wallpaper sizes scaled to fit, etc.

I think just a nicely rendered vector leaf, doesnā€™t need any fancy effects per-se
although an expanding ripple with a mirrored leaf underneath - with blurring and partly under the top one - like it had just touched water could look really good

How about just having a few simple wallpapers in the download to save space, and packaging extra walpapers on HaikuDepotā€¦ by catagory etcā€¦ Abstract/Nature/Senic/Haiku/BeOS themedā€¦

Recipes welcome :wink:

Good day,
Thatā€™s what Iā€™m working on too these days. Gathering, creating, and classifying wallpapers:

screenshot4

Regards,
RR

2 Likes

I have thinked about it for same years but do not place them on our repo because copyright issus

Iā€™ve got photos on my Flickr account. If anyone is interested, I can post a link.

Many have their own Picturesā€¦ Just dragā€™n drop your picture here to make it your personal backgroundā€¦ If it is not fittingā€¦ Try another oneā€¦ Use another resolution!?

Not sure what youā€™re saying. What Iā€™m saying is that I have a lot of photos (that I took) on my Flickr account and if anyone wants to take a gander and use one then Iā€™d be happy to share the link.

Theyā€™re almost all pictures of Texas with some car shows thrown in.

Haiku Screenshoot with a personal wallpaper:

cat1

I took this picture from a wall inside a brewery, so it is a perfect wall-paper!
So definitely free to use

2 Likes

It would be perfectly fine to be on the repo as long as they have appropriate licenses the same as anything else on there.

Good day,

lelldorin is right. There is a reason regarding icon names on the desktop, as fonts are white so there is no way to read the names of any icon on the desktop if there is a white background.

There is also a more important reason, dealing with ergonomics. A white background is too bright for the eyes. Iā€™m not talking about screen radiation, as LED displays emit a lot less than old CRTā€™s. Using white backgrounds on anything you spend a lot of time looking at wears out your eyesight faster. Book pages (novels) are mostly sepia/beige because of this. Educational books should be too, but maybe editors think that no one RTFM, so they make the pages white. :smile:

Regards,
RR

Just for the record, thereā€™s the checkbox ā€œIcon label outlineā€ which helps in these situations, but doesnā€™t look fantastic IMO.

The colour of the icon label depends on the background colour. So even if you use a background image, you can set a light background colour and have black icon labels as a result.
Only downside: the Workspaces applet shows this background colour, so you wonā€™t have the nice mellow blue anymore thereā€¦

1 Like

Good day,

By the way, I think it could be nice to just have a ā€œwallpaper contestā€, to pick 10 ā€œdefaultā€ wallpapers. With some requirements, being the most important, the copyright thing, thus contestants should give the rights to Haiku to use those wallpapers.

Seeing the buzz this wallpaper thread is rising, it might be a good idea.

Regards,
RR

Not white light but blue lightā€¦ and thatā€™s mostly an issue as you get older. Younger peopleā€™s eyes repair themselfs but that mechanism breaks down with age resulting in loss of blue receptores in the eyes.

It would be nice if Haiku had a blue light reduction mode as just about every other operating system has nowā€¦ it can help reduce using a computer near bedtime from causing you to have difficulties falling to sleep as well as the blue light is what most affects your circadian rythm.

Created a ticket for a blue light reduction mode feature here: https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/14508#ticket

1 Like

Hereā€™s a simple demo wallpaper I did based on the earlier post (white Haiku leaf on blue). Hope people enjoy it! In case it too disappears from the forum, Iā€™ll link a zip file with it inside in the ā€˜quick tourā€™ thread:

haiku-candidate-wallpaper

3 Likes

Here is a wallpaper that I stumbled across while using KDEā€™s Get New Wallpapers... feature and it instantly made me think of Haiku:

Given a few tweaks (like shorter shadows), it wouldnā€™t look out of place with the rest of Haiku.

7 Likes

6 Likes

Thatā€™s very niceā€¦very clean and thoughtfulā€¦may I use It?