HAIKU needs a MASCOT

I know that Haiku is of Japanese origin, but I sincerely hope that the mascot is not anime related or styled in any way.

No wide-eyed waifus or “sexy” mascots please.

Over here in Japan, Anime is almost synonymous with children’s shows and the vast majority of that not aimed at children is seen as low quality, microtransactional or dreary, overly endowed titillation.

If we do go the animal route, a tanuki (racoon-dog) or kitsune (fox) might be nice.

How about something poetic?
The Crane features in a lot of Japanese folklore:

Though since many Linux distros use animals someone above wisely suggested we try something non animally and I’m in agreement.

Here is my suggestion:

Since the letter h is prominent in this distro, a capital letter H adorned with leaves might be suitable.

I would like a fox.

1 Like

what about a helicopter seed mascot:

maple-4239849__340

they’re colourful; display natural engineering; they don’t fall like ordinary leaves - but they fall with style! They’ve got the techy “propellor-head” vibe going on. And they’ve got two wings, with two “eyes” in the middle, for good characterisation.

2 Likes

I think we have said several times in this thread that we will not get a mascot and we don’t need one, and we already have Walter the Fish anyways.

Apparently that’s not enough and people have decided to list every possible animal here. With no plans or any kind of organization to pick one. So, I guess, we can just declare that all animals are Haiku mascots now and the problem is solved :smiley: you can even add plants too since the logo is based on tree leaves, but it seems people are not ready to accept a vegetal, non-humanoid mascot.

Using vegetals would fit the project very well: slow-moving and with very long term plans, probably overliving humans, just like trees. And being a very important, but underrated, part of the ecosystem.

12 Likes

I don’t remember where, but I’ve seen some websites with packages available for Haiku using a leaf as “mascot” or the H with a leaf in the middle. It looks like the open source community already relations Haiku with a leaf. so I don’t see the point of having an animal-based mascot.

4 Likes

+1 for considering every living and dead thing as Haiku mascot. Here is a chair. It is a Haiku mascot from now on.

Now we can finally close this topic :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The leaf and H are in the logo,
A mascot is usually an animal

Walter the fish?

According to OS-tan wiki we have a mascot already… and that was written in 2009!

It’s kind of funny how obsessed one can be with antropomorphisizing inanimate objects… or in this case something that has no physical form at all :slight_smile:

(The ostan wiki also said the Haiku mascot has a crush on the personification of macos tiger, which I think is quit amusing)

https://www.ostan-collections.net/wiki/index.php/Haiku

We don’t need a mascot. The H leaf does a perfect job as isotype, even on small black and white silhouette representations, which is the primary objective of a mascot. The secondary objective is selling it as plush toy.

6 Likes

Let a mascot be a part of a distribution from haiku. Haiku itself does not need one.

And Haiku is not Be, Haiku is different in many part over the years, wo do not need to be like BeOS anymore.

It was already mentionned several time in this thread.

The initial story is that when the name Haiku was chosen, someone (bga, one of the developers) suggested “Walter” as an OS name. Obviously it was not a great name, but it was fun, and so there soon was a logo (shaped like a fish), and the conference where the name Haiku was announced was called WalterCon, they had T-Shirts with the Walter logo and so on.

It is used in a few places in the OS when you build it with the Haiku branding disabled, as a placeholder logo.

3 Likes

Hey, for the record, I was not advocating for the bee mascot, just reminiscing.

Yes, we’ve seen you point out the same thing in almost every one of your posts on the thread. We get it. Although I do disagree, and I really do not care about widespread adoption of Haiku, only that the dev team has the resources to make a desktop centric, user centric operating system for a single user, without all the headaches of login this, account that, tracking and unnecessary nonsense.

I just want Haiku to keep on track and continue to develop and grow.

We don’t need gimmicks.

Just solid code and lots of cooperation.

1 Like

This already exists.

I believe it was chosen as a reference to the American comic strip “Garfield.”

There is a very old page on Tyler Dauwlder (another developer)'s site with a fake “press release” about the new name: https://web.archive.org/web/20200425204854/http://www.dauwalder.net/OpenBeOS/walter.html

1 Like

チュウウウウ〜

1 Like

Bee? You can then start a social media platform: The Beehive.

1 Like

A Bee makes total sense. Yes, it is supposed to be a “different” product, but lets be real - it was built on the foundations of the BeOS idea! There’s a reason why it functions 99% similarly to BeOS when I ran it on my PowerComputing PowerCenter 120.

Also, the Bee represents productivity, and a little bit of selflessness, and assistance in propagating other life (i.e. flowering plants). It’s a good mascot.

1 Like

I hope not. A Bee would be good, but that looks more like a Yellow Jacket.