HAIKU needs a MASCOT

Of course you can try to explain symbols in different way and add to symbols what you want, but this not deny primary true meaning of the symbol.
The main meaning of the symbol is the basic idea - the main engine that drives all activities in a particular direction. The basic idea of the symbol is directly understood and accepted by other people. For all other interpretation, you have to “program” the human mind of others additionally. …I would add that in this way will be resulting symbol with conflict.

Yes, of course

1 Like

they aren’t dead.

that we disagree what fallen leaves symbolize (“death” vs “change, harvest, home & hearth”) is an example of the breakdown of the premise that symbols are universal. they are not. we all bring interpretations informed by our experiences, which are also not universal. every reader of a poem changes it, and every poem changes the reader, the “programming” is automatic, unavoidable.

that haiku is symbolized by falling leaves is a callback to the poetry it’s named after. for the sake of congruence, if the symbol is changed, it should be in reference to actual haiku and not some arbitrary creature with a cute name.

3 Likes

I did not say that they (trees) are dead. I talked about the leaves.

I do not agree, falling leaves can not mean harvest. As I said, unless the yield is the fallen leaves.
Symbols are universal to the extent that they are based on the universal laws of the universe, and as I said, everything that is an additional need for people to interpret individually and continuously.
Yours symbol interpretation, are added additionally interpretation. With the need to additionally accept the interpretation for others.

leaves are not organisms, plants are.

there are plants that grow in autumn and winter (or else people would have starved to death before globalization brought you grapes in the winter) — autumn harvest celebrations center those plants. every culture in the global north has at least one.

symbols have nothing to do with universal law except through their expression in a region (i.e. water loses heat and freezes as the days get shorter and so sun-worshipping cultures have a winter solstice festival celebrating the lengthening of days and lots of cultures in the global north have celebrations for the post-winter thaw) as experienced culturally and individually.

fallen leaves are kindling for people who need fire, camouflage for beetles and wild roaches, food for fungus and so on — there is no universality.

It does not exist anything that is not based on the laws of the universe.
The truth is always simple and defined.
The truth lies in facts, not in interpretations.
There is no truth, there is no understanding, only interpretations cycles remain forever.
Long enough interpretation, you can link what you want.
Clearly, we live in a universe, and everything in it in some way linked.
Uncertainty. This is a mystical way. And it is also the law of the universe.
Uncertainty is no knowledge. It can not be transmitted.

Without knowledge there is no purposeful action, only chaos.

Boy, this discussion is getting more esoteric that any I’ve seen in a while…! (:-/)

Personally, I find the leaves perfect as a symbol of Haiku. They don’t have any connotations of “death” or “despondence” or anything to me. I think “autumn leaves” in general inspire rather pleasant feelings.

OTOH, a mascot is something distinct, and it would be fine if someone comes up with an original one.

4 Likes

I would have to have a Walter teeshirt.

1 Like

My suggestion for a mascot for Haiku
is the bee,
to remind everybody of its origins:
the BeOS.

2 Likes

There was a bee logo way back. Stinger? My memory remembers something like this:

2 Likes

As an image it’s arresting, and I like it, but I think Haiku needs something less aggressive-looking. I see Haiku as friendly and non-threatening.

2 Likes

9 Likes

A nice warm place for the cat!

2 Likes

@kim1963,
pay attention :wink:

Well I have two candidates for a bee mascot for Haiku,
the first one was made with a little help from stable diffusion,
and the second one from deep dream generator
but a human designer may have more
creative idea!

I cant imagine to use any of the mascots from this thread, and frankly i cant even imagine using any.

6 Likes