HAIKU needs a MASCOT

I like that version (the blue Haiku with the yellow flash)!

Thanks.
I hope that an artist’s hand make this initial idea into a work of art.

falling leaves aren’t death. if you live somewhere with an autumn and spend time outside you’ll see quickly those fallen leaves are teeming with life, and the trees that shed them also are not dead. autumn is mainly associated with change and harvest, with home and hearth (since that’s where your heat’s coming from). botanically, it’s an adaptation to a changing environment.

3 Likes

Lol, I actually like the raccoon dog idea. Maybe give him a “yellow ear” something subtle.

Falling leaves symbolize the end of the life cycle (dying).
Fallen leaves are dead.
Falling leaves yield (harvest) is only possible for those who eat fallen leaves.
Change is the main “occupation” of nature, always and everywhere.

How about a stylized blue heron named Walter

1 Like

Amazing. I did not expect another `“symbolic link” to Apple!

Fallen leaves provide the fertilization needed for seeds to grow in the following spring. And so goes around the cycle of life.

This looks like a mean bird capable of tearing apart the Linux Penguin!

I’m not sure I would ever be able to warm up to Walter as a name.

Heh, I have a history of naming my pets (hermit crabs) Fred so yeah

Actually my parents have a great blue heron that lives in the woods behind thier house
it makes interesting noises! They call it Kevin because it sounds just like the bird in the movie UP! Named kevin.

Another variant of the same theme (flash) is the SPARK.
Maybe even more suitable for “Haiku”.

I think one animal a penguin is enough, for all OSes.
For haiku we must have something different.

Let penguin remain as GNU/Rooster symbol. Please don’t mess it with Haiku.

I think the current logo of Haiku is not bad. If you want to change symbol — change project name first. It’s a little hard to find Haiku info even querying «Haiku OS».
There’s a lot of really good symbols — parrot, owl, writing feather, a lot of math symbols etc.
But any of them is incompatible with «Haiku» — word, which means poetry imitation of one cultureless barbarous tribe.

1 Like

Offtop: someone knows smth about BeeOS, or this name is free?
Every time when I look on default Haiku theme, I remember beehive.

I would agree with you on that, the white isometric “H” with green Leaf Crossed Logo is perfect. It reminds me of the two white towers on the front of the BeBox Bezel with a palette of clear and fresh colors with green leaf defining light and natural character of Haiku

I think now is not free as another microkernel uses almost the same context but with an MCU

http://beeos.sourceforge.net/

It reminds me that there is a new trend in design (both logo as graphical interface ) with new/renewed microkernel based OSes with a tendency to the characteristics that have been asked in this conversation : A flat aesthetic as Material design , combining the palette original colors of BeOS (Real Red+Thru Blue= Purple/Violet/Magenta) / Haiku (Ligth Blue + “Tab” Yellow = “Leaf” Green), and references to the fast, lightweight and realtime perfomance
 I talk about Zephyr OS and Google Fuchsia.

I’ve always laughed on «material design».
It’s better to be called «we’d stole all we can from WM6, now we’re trying to steal Metro.»

The leaves can symbolize the end of BeOS, But since they have been incorporated into the letters of HAIKU, they really symbolize the reuse of the ideas BeOS embodied. So we should add some sprouts of some kind to the logo to symbolize new life. The result would be a logo that says HAIKU and implies the end of one cycle and the beginning of another.

To be sure, it doesn’t mean the beginning and the end, the alpha and the omega. Rather, it means an end and a beginning.

that’s not how trees work. falling leaves are autumnal. autumn has the harvest moon and harvest festivals all over the global north.

“that’s not how trees work”
– what you mean by that?

“falling leaves are autumnal. autumn has the harvest moon and harvest festivals all over the global north.”
– actually falling leaves at the end of autumn, when harvesting is finished.