Haiku 64bit on Ryzen

The cards are not all the same - neither are the radeon drivers.

• Radeon driver covers most non-Radeon HD products.
    • AMD Radeon X850/X800 and below.
  • Radeon_hd driver is for the Radeon R500-family and higher products:
    • AMD Radeon X1200 → Radeon RX Vega 64
    • NOTE: AMD Radeon X1900 series not supported at this time.

The RX 580 is not the RX 480. A misconception. The RX 580 handles the 4K60 (versus 4K30) resolution.

• The RX 460 is supported by the driver. Bug report it w/syslog attached. :key:
  • The RX 580 is not supported by the radeon_hd driver as of 7/17/2019.

So, a hit-or-miss with so many product variants with driver support. Remember, this is a hobby project
for the core developers (i.e. they got families/kids, school, paid work, bills, life, etc) so talk to them on IRC and post those bug reports. :fire:

Quick question then, how can a user tell what driver is being used for the installed hardware? I looked in the program that lists all hardware and my video driver says unknown. I have the Vega 11 as part of the Ryzen 5 2400G APU.

I assumed I was using the VESA driver and not the radeon_hd driver.

Thank you
[corrected spelling]

• listimage|grep drivers
    • prints a list of ‘loaded’ hw drivers
  • grep radeon /var/log/syslog
    • prints the requested graphic driver (‘loaded driver’ is displayed if working)

The dev added support for the Vega family awhile ago. Add a ticket and syslog, as well as any screenshots
to help them. I had a Vega 64 awhile ago, but needed something smaller…

See:

The Screen preflet should show it (“VESA” or “Framebuffer” will be somewhere if you are using one of those.)

It says Framebuffer

Thank you

Looking through syslog it seems that the Atom Bios cannot be found and it looks like falls back to vesa. I think I should add on to the 13846 ticket with the syslog.

1 Like

If it fails to vesa, vesa doesn’t work for me… But it seems that the driver intializes and voila “signal out of range”

The question is the the radeon driver takes the control to vesa, and vesa fails? Or the driver itself fails?

Im my case the radeon driver fails due to not finding the atom bios for the vega .

Aha. That’s because in the cases for the RX580 and RX460 the driver initializes , but monitor shows signal out of range. I don’t know if it’s an error of VESA or the RADEON itself but i suppose it’s the radeon driver. In older builds seems to be working for RX580 and RX460.

RX480 vs 580… a technicality… it’s just a revision of that die, probably when they went to to the higher power node for the 580, it meant they transceivers were now fast enough for it to work reliably or they fixed some other bug… for most intents and purposes even in driver development they are 99.9% the same, it’s just that 0.1% lol…

Also on the Vega cards results may be different on UEFI vs BIOS…

There is a problem with 16 GB RAM, when Haiku 64 bit install boots from USB stick (usb2), Haiku boots OK and sees all 16 GB (excluding video RAM), but to boot from installed system on SSD I must limit Haiku system (in boot options) to 4 GB of RAM, otherwise Haiku will not booting. Is there a way to fix this?

BIOS UEFI/CSM set to CSM

Motherboard MSI B450-A-PRO with AMD Ryzen 3 3200g. Sound and network works, video in VESA mode (but works very fast with 1920×1200 monitor). Two monitor set do not work (it is not good).

Tested with “haiku-master-hrev53350-x86_64-anyboot.iso”, writted on USB stick on Ubuntu 18.04 with “MultiWriter”.

… and forgot to mention, system update and Haiku Depot do not work (system can not access repositories), hrev53350 problem?

Yes, you need to use the EFI bootloader; the 4GB problem with the BIOS loader is known and unsolved.

Yes, there’s a ticket about this.

1 Like

Hey there,
Apologies if reopening this is poor form - couldn’t find anything about what the forums opinion of necro’ing old threads is.
Has anyone had any luck getting Haiku to boot on an ASRock AMD AB350 Pro4 AM4 motherboard? I’m using that with a Ryzen 3 1300X and I can’t get it to boot at all, it basically insta-reboots - I see a cursor appear, that drops down one line then the machine reboots. I always assumed it was a USB3 problem but I get the impression that’s actually solid-ish these days.
I most recently tried Beta2 32 bit, I have CSM enabled. Anyone any advice?
Cheers :slight_smile:

You mean it gets all the way to the desktop? Or it fails in the loader?

Fail at the loader, although I don’t even see the loader - I turn the machine on (having preset it in BIOS to have USB as first boot device), see BIOS logo, etc, then I get a black screen with a white _ which after a second or two drops down one line on the screen, then the PC restarts.
I should also mention I have tried holding down shirt or space on boot (that’s how you try and get to safe mode isn’t it?) and it’s the same behaviour

You cannot use the CSM BIOS to boot Haiku on Ryzen, you have to use EFI. That should solve the problem.

2 Likes

I have that board with a Ryzen 5 1600 and can confirm that booting with UEFI works on it.

2 Likes

Okay - thank you for getting back so quickly. Shame, but thats the way it is. I guess it’s back to running it on a vm :slight_smile:
Thanks

Good day @geosharp,

Have you tried the blacklisting at boot? I mean, press space bar and use safe boot options?

I’m on a Ryzen 5 1600 working without major issues. At the beginning (beginning of this thread) took me some time to figure out which safe mode options would boot. Now I go just with Safe Video, as I’m on Radeon. Other than that, no big issues.

I also boot several USB3 pendrives with Haiku for testing purposes, also without issues, always taking into account the Safe Graphics mode. You are better with the 64bit Haiku, I presume. EFI works without issues if you do the proper partitioning on the USB key. Right now I’m running from one, USB 3.0 128 GB, on the USB 3.0 port of the box, inside with a B350 chipset mobo from MSI.

Take a look at the safe options, and do a right partitioning. It should work.

Regards,
RR