Easiest "full install" to check compatibility

As I am super happy to see Beta 1 finally here, I have tried the CD creation and boot, but no sound. Next step is a full install I suppose to see if Opensound will fix that problem for me.

As I only own 1 PC (Intel i7 based), it is somewhat mission critical as I use it for work too. I work from home. So, don’t want to chance installing from CD to my internal HDD so I can then download and install Opensound, something I don’t think I can do boot from CD.

Any other options like bootable USB drive that also is fully bootable and can be written to so I can install apps and such. Don’t think burning just a USB stick with installer would let me do that.

I suppose I can buy a SATA drive and slap in my PC, removing the main one so zero chance screwing it up, and try that way but looking for easiest route to see if I can get my i7 running on all pistons with the new beta.

TJ

1 Like

Burning the anyboot image to USB will (should) indeed result in a bootable USB stick. The caveat with this method is that the default partition size is quite limited. My preferred method is to boot into the installer (either the stock install media or running Installer from an already installed system.) Then I partition and format the target USB stick to my heart’s content and install Haiku to that. Works great. You can even have multiple partitions with Haiku installed to each (or other OS) and use BootManager to create a multi-boot stick. One pro tip, is to get a system set up the way you like with all your settings and apps, then install that to your USB stick for a custom USB key. The Installer app will duplicate the source partition on to the target partition. It will even let you choose your source and target partitions. Installer is installed by default when you install to a drive, so you don’t necessarily need the install media for further installs.

Another option to try is burn to USB and use gparted to increase the partition size.

The separate partition is a good idea. But you does not need to unplug you other hdd. Create on the new one partitions with easy to identify names, run the installer and inizialize the New well named partitons with the bfs filesystem and install in it. You can left the bootmanager and use a cd or usb to boot if you want to get no risk destroying the mbr (press space Bar during booting and chouse the boot volume)

What has to be on the CD or USB to be able to boot Haiku from the partition I install it on? Some special boot app? I think the last time I installed Haiku years ago that bootmanager did something and I screwed up my booting into Ubuntu. Just don’t want to do that again. tj

Do not install the haiku bootmanager, startup from boot medium like CD or usb, press space bar at the beginning of booting (before the boot icons displayed), select boot disk (hdd) and run haiku. This does not destroy you system.

You should format the hdd in a non current system like filesystem, so this does not merge with your hdd names (like windows, if you add fat one and you start windows before you inizial the partiton, das windows can change the volium names… D can then be E).

http://old.besly.de/menu/search/archiv/sys/haiku_installation_eng.html
https://www.haiku-os.org/get-haiku/installation-guide/

If your usb stick is large enough say … 8 GB or larger, you can install haiku onto that just like you would install it to a fixed HDD, just boot from the cd plug the usb stick then use drivesetup to initialize the partition to be filesystem, before you do that though use for example Gparted to wipe it and create the empty partition first, then launch the installer and install haiku onto it, then open a terminal (before you reboot) and type “writembr /dev/disk/usb/0/0/raw” just make sure there are no other usb sticks plugged in when you do that.
That way you’ll have all the rest of the space to install more software and store your other data.

1 Like

https://www.haiku-os.org/guides/installing/making_haiku_usb_stick/

I decided to bite the bullet and install a 1TB SATA Drive in my PC, a 2nd one, strictly to try Haiku to its fullest, but again want to keep my main 1TB drive Ubuntu and bootable to that.

So I booted from my 32bit Haiku Beta and partitioned/initialized the drive, the Installer saw the drive was OK to install on, and I installed Haiku.

On reboot I hit F12 on my keyboard to get into the screen where I can select to enter Bios or choose what drive to boot from, I select the Haiku drive, but the Haiku loader pops up and says it can’t find a bootable OS to use. But I just made one.

So, on this new 2nd drive I installed, before installing Haiku on it did I need to also install that bootmanager 1st, then install the OS, then reboot and F12, select the Haiku drive, and then the loader can see the OS?

I was leary on installing that bootmanager even on the 2nd new drive but if that is what needs to be done, and should not affect the 1st SATA drive, I will give it a go.

Just want to confirm 1st.

TJ

You need the bootmanager on the haiku drive

1 Like

Thanks, will try tomorrow. tj

You need an MBR on your disk that will boot the Haiku partition. There are two requirements here:

• The Haiku partition must be marked “active” (tick the checkbox in DriveSetup),
  • The MBR must boot the active partition (you can install one using writembr from Haiku, or by resetting the “intel partition map” with DriveSetup).

You normally don’t need bootman, which instead of using the active partition, lets you decide which one to boot. This is of course useful only if you run multiple OS.

Is there any write-ups that show how to install and use bootman to both boot Ubuntu and Haiku, with each OS on their own drives? TJ

I’m not 100% sure, but I think BootMan can only access the OS on the drive it’s installed on.

1 Like

This currently true for BootManager. I kinda miss the old BeOS BootMan for this feature alone.

A bit frustrated today… can’t seem to get Haiku installed on internal HDD. No matter what I do, after what seems to be an easy install, reboot and Haiku Loader can’t find an OS to boot.

I pulled my linux drive so the only drive in my PC is a 1TB drive that I want to be all Haiku.

I guess I am a dult today. Followed what I feel note for note the install procedures at haiku-os.org main page. Partition the drive with Be File System… it sees my partition (the whole 1TB WD SATA Drive), installs, but reboot and no OS.

Tried installing the boot menu option too… and it does come up with a nice graphic Haiku, use keyboard to click it but no OS.

I must be missing something on the format to make this all work. Is there something the step by step procedure takes for granite that I suppose to be clicking that I may be skipping that does not allow the installed OS to be seen at reboot?

TJ

To clarify, did you use this guide? https://www.haiku-os.org/get-haiku/installation-guide/

Please try to be as accurate as possible in order to get the help you need.
What do you mean by:

And;

and it does come up with a nice graphic Haiku, use keyboard to click it but no OS.

I’ve explained to you in my comment above how to write the mbr to the disk when you install haiku onto a dedicated HHD/usb stick, just read that and ask specific questions about the details you didn’t understand.

Yes, and to the best of my ability, step by step. :wink:

TJ

Sorry, in my haste I needed to switch back to my main drive and get some work done, so was going off memory… which is fading as I age. :wink:

What I did was just follow step by step the procedures as noted on the website, the link in the message before this one. I also tried using the tools that loads with the installer to install the bootmanager and if memory serves, there was a 2nd option in the tools list to write a bootsector. I tried that too.

I will have to go read your step again and see about that. For now I needed to get back to work so will have to wait for another day.

TJ