Does Haiku support OpenGL and Vulkan?

I genuinely think Haiku could benefit from getting into the home theater PC or lightweight gaming market, so can Haiku run OpenGL or Vulkan? How do things like Wine run games in Haiku? (specifically talking about older ones, Sims 2, Half-Life 1/2 (although they do have native Linux ports) GTA:SA, Plants vs. Zombies, hell even Angry Birds if you will :P) And, how well does Haiku stream 4K/Full HD video with the integrated video player? I would love to be able to play some games on Haiku and maybe get it connected to a TV to watch some shows or some YouTube videos, and I’m always glad to see the next step of evolution that Haiku takes form of.

OGL yes, but only in software, so no acceleration (not ideal for games)

Vulkan: no.

There is no wine for Haiku. Consider to step up and make it happen.

1 Like

Cool, any word on development for Vulkan or is the team more focused on other things? (which I wholeheartedly respect, I know something like this takes a long time)

I could’ve sworn there was one, wasn’t there a Wine port for BeOS?

EDIT : Haiku - WineHQ Wiki, it apparently can run, however I’d assume there would be some general instability among other things.

Re: Vulkan

There is a Vulkan implementation for newer versions of Mesa but still no Haiku drivers. Current drivers for Mesa only work on Linux/BSD.

That’s unfortunate, I wanted to try some games on Haiku LOL. I’m sure the devs will get there eventually and I’m really happy to see the level of respect this community and others have for Haiku, I feel as it could be a very strong competitor to the likes of Windows in the office or Linux for home use once it’s prepared for a stable release and has the hardware support to back it up, and I’m definitely considering making a donation or two to keep development steady.

Any news on some sort of an emulator just to test the waters on getting any type of console game to run on Haiku? I saw some of you got Postal running which is awesome, I love that game (if only we had Postal 2, LOL), I’d love to play some SNES or Genesis games on Haiku.

And about WINE, Boxedwine - Linux Emulator that runs WINE caught my eye, seems that networking and DirectX emulation don’t work which is unfortunate.

In the case of Haiku supporting 2D/3D video games (more specifically on AMD cards and Intel chipsets), I could be one to test since I own a ton of those games.

Contact AMD and ask for driver support for Haiku. :wink:

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if it was that easy LOL

If you never attempt this, they wont ever know about your use-case.

There are some open source games in the HaikuDepot, such as DOOM. There are also other open source games which might run on Haiku with a recompile or minor tweaking. There’s a recent post about the efforts of getting Postal to run on Haiku Porting Postal. So there are games in Haiku! Of course for Postal, DOOM, and possibly others you’ll need the game files, but that should be easy as the games are on Steam, and other platforms.

There is also ScummVM and ResidualVM (although both merged into only ScummVM recently), they can run multiple games too :slight_smile:

Home theater setups are hard, you would need Widevine DRM licenses for any high quality streams. Google seems to to focus on customers with big pockets only.

2 Likes

Wine can’t really run on Haiku, there is a wip attempts here and there but there is a lot missing.

Sims 2 does not run in wine upstream on linux either, only with some hacks for software shaders (and in that case still sometimes quite bad)

Sims 2 runs with Wine and DXVK pretty well. that’s really the only method to get competent performance off of it, same thing with GTA:SA and I’d assume any other Direct3D9 game

Wine does not support sims 2, it will not run because of missing software shader constant, maybe you are using wine staging?

why would you use dxvk for a direct3d9 game? that makes little sense to me

Performance with the DXVK layer is better than DirectX to OpenGL.

You can view many video streams from Youtube and other sources through MediaPlayer and/or the alternatives (VLC, SMPlayer, etc).

Haiku is very capable - within known limitations. Many legacy games and demos are now ported to browser-compatible VM/cloud-based/related technologies (i.e. playable from a web browser).

Wine and various emulators are only needed in certain cases…

There are SNES emulator for Haiku…
BeSnes and ZSnes

1 Like