Discord Server

Hello gentlemen!
I created a Discord Server for Haiku because there isn’t official one (or at least yet).
It might help to bring people closer and talk to each other easily.
Here is the link if anyone wants to join! -
EDIT : This is not meant to replace any other communication system but a new way to talk or interact with people and I guarantee that there will be no SPAMMING OR OTHER JUNKS.

2 Likes

Will it? Or will it further split the community when combined with xmpp, irc and telegram? should we consider gateways between these?

This will help the community to discuss live. And if someone wants some help, some people can help him/her easily. Sir, I hope that you can understand

Is Discord OpenSource now?

What’s the advantage of this over IRC…? I only see disadvantages.

2 Likes

Advantage is that many people can talk easily, anywhere and anytime

So, just like IRC?

2 Likes

But IRC have a well-known, non-proprietary protocol and already got mature clients for Haiku.
You can do however anything what you wish, nobody will stop you, but you have to get a but better reasoning-skill to get somebody onto your discord thing, because “Better than IRC” have a bit 2000’s feeling.

3 Likes

Also, how do we connect from Haiku?

You can try it out gentlemen!

Discord is mainly made for gaming communities and can be run out of a website without a native client (when they would finally fix their annoying flashing page bug).

That said: Discord sucks.

It’s YAFT (Yet Another Fucking Trend). I had to examine it due to my project work but I really see no reason why to jump on that band wagon just to jump on another band wagon in the next two years or so.

I just said that if anyone wants to join the server can join. I am not forcing.

2 Likes

Would be great if the Haiku project had a dedicated Jabber server, but obviously it costs to host such things :neutral_face:

Why jabber? Aren’t we all at freenode’s IRC already?

That is the thing, WHAT IS THE ADVANTAGE OVER IRC.

All I see is claims Discord, Jabber and maybe others are better than IRC, but no reasons or features that make them better, just empty words. I don;t really use IRC, but I have in the past and Haiku has the tools to use it already so why change?

If you canpost some real advantages I am sure people will want to change, but what are they.

I host a jabber server myself. No big deal. Besides XMPP works like mail servers. You can have your account any place you want. Only conference (aka multi-user-chat) needs to be on one jabber server but even that could be anywhere.

That said IRC is the grand-mother of chat and still holds its ground today. So with me IRC is as good as XMPP and vice versa.

Is there a Haiku-related chat already created in Telegram? I can’t find anything about it here on the forum.

Yes, there is a group simply named “haiku”. I think you can search for it directly from telegram?

As for the advantage of Telegram or XMPP over IRC: they have push notifications to my smartphone. Whicheis ok as long as the traffice is low, but will become annoying if it grows too much. So I guess I prefer IRC, still.

1 Like

I think is good to have more places for prefferences, i am on the telegram haiku groupt to me IRC clients sucks. i have to use it cause the people here are very conservative but IRC only? nee if only users want get fan group on whatsapp, telegram or discord it is just good… and normal.

[quote=“cosmogatokat, post:20, topic:6519”]I
think is good to have more places for prefferences, i am on the telegram haiku groupt to me IRC clients sucks. i have to use it cause the people here are very conservative but IRC only? nee if only users want get fan group on whatsapp, telegram or discord it is just good… and normal.
[/quote]

IRC was in the past the Chat the beos, zeta and now haiku devs and users choose. With ‘vision’ we have a good irc client. And if we set up a new haiku, we can add the older irc client settings copy to rhez new settings folder and run again our irc client.

And anything around it is build to it like the chatlog. I like irc with vision, i dislike chatzilla does not support anymore by Firefox on windows.

The problem with using what’s app is, not all people want to away her handy number to unknown people.