Contest for System Sounds | Haiku Project

I think your idea here is good, as the others have said please log a bug so it can be tracked. This is probably not a difficult fix in the volume slider replicant. The code is part of desklink in case you are curious, so you can log this under the component “Applications/Command Line Tools”: haiku/VolumeControl.cpp at master · haiku/haiku · GitHub

It probably needs a short debounce or similar idea.

1 Like

https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/17036#ticket

2 Likes

The start up sound will only work if it’s played in the sounds application before a reboot.

It will not work if I shut down the VM then start it instead of using the restart button.

When I start the machine as usual, the beep of the volume slider takes around half a minute before it starts working, but it will work immediately if I make the start up sound work using the explained method.

I am on VMware with the OpenSound driver.

Did any of these system sound collections get packaged up for installation?

1 Like

No. They didn’t. IIRC there’s an open ticket because some of them are not working (Some events, mainly windows events aren’t triggering the sound).
It’s difficult to make a sound scheme in Haiku that you could be applied easily. You can to do it with ThemeManager but it’s not really straight forward and anyway ThemeManager isn’t included by default.
Some extra packages that are available in HaikuDepot are providing some events; at least BeShare and USB Deskbar are doing it.
It is difficult to know what event people will judge more important than the other and worthy to assign a sound to.
So I guess that it won’t be so easy to make a package that would provide sounds out of the box.

2 Likes

No I do not think ao. You can download them.
But system sound is not fully working yet. Only the startup sound you can choose.

No need to make Haiku size bigger by include sound files…

2 Likes