Contest for System Sounds | Haiku Project

When you put all wav files of a theme as a playlist in MediaPlayer, it just rushes through.

Tip: Open the Terminal in a sound theme’s folder and enter this as one line to go through one by one on every key press:

for filename in ./*.wav ; do clear ; echo "$(basename "$(pwd)")" ; echo "$filename" ; echo ; media_client play "$filename" ; read -n 1 -s -r -p "Press any key for next sound..." ; done

1 Like

For me, there are several levels of consistency.
The first is in the way that you produce sounds. For example, you can’t have captured sounds (i.e. birds chirping) and synthetic sounds in same time.
The second is that all sounds should respect the theme chosen to give a global atmosphere. For example, if for you Haiku is a modern OS and you chose modernity to be your theme, you won’t add startup sound that remember a classic opera opening.
The third is, of course, the consistency with the item or the action the sound is illustrating. It is obvious in case of notifications. The important one should draw more your attention than the info notification.

1 Like

@Starcrasher actually nailed what I was going to say about consistency. It is paramount to use instruments that sound similar or belong in a soundscape. If two soundscapes are being merged into one, then both have to be present in every sound (not just one).

Straight Outta Cronton is actually consistent for the most part, with only a select few sounds sticking out. It’s just that some of the sounds are a bit too long or unnecessarily noticeable.

Maybe I am unaware, but is the winning system sounds being packaged up and made available for download and install via HaikuDepot?

As far as I remember it was said that the winning sound theme will ship with the default installation and the other ones will be available through pkgman/HaikuDepot

There is still no support for using most of the sounds in Haiku. And apparently no one is interested in packaging the sounds to make them available. Probably these two are related in some way.

1 Like

AFAIK there isn’t any package created (now or in the past), or at least I can’t find any recipe at haikuports mentioning something like it, that being said, where should the files go into and will the system pick it up at reboot or do you need to link each event to a wav file?
Looking at the “Sound” preference app it seems to support a “SoundFile”, is this a generic file containing all the events in it (that should probably be set somewhere then).

You would need to confirm that with devs team but I guess that a folder with the name of the theme in /boot/system/data/sounds would do it.
It would be indeed more elegant to do that through Sounds preference app but in the meantime ThemeManager handle system sounds so, if you are disabling all other plugins at saving, you can create a sound theme with it.
Anyway, people, would have to associate few sounds themselves as their use depends of people needs.
i.e. I use device_connect.wav and device_disconnect.wav respectively for USB device mount and USB device unmount event notifications provided by USB Deskbar app but, they could be as well used for discovery of Bluetooth devices or even Wifi network connexion if there are event notifications for that.

Events for WiFi can be generated via wpa_cli which is part of wpa_supplicant.
You can find some explanations here but I’m not sure that it would work with Haiku.

Thanks there, I think people can do it from the ThemeManager too then, as for the system, I think it’s probably a Haiku change that should be done to enable some “SoundFiles/SoundThemes” on where they could select a theme or an event, not going there myself :wink:

At least the startup sound is working atm.
I use a “ready to takeoff” soundfile at systemstart. To make sure my souncard is working. I can live with that.

Btw the first thing I do using a new OS, is to disable all system sounds exept the startup sound.

1 Like

I miss the old days of system sounds that the various operating systems provided out of the box.

1 Like

I never used system sounds sience AMIGA. No one need a sound then the system has started.

It really depends on who you are and how you’re using your computer.
For most others, sounds relative to windows events are tiring. But, for someone who have visual troubles, they can be a good indicator of what is going on screen.
Notifications are useful for everyone. you just have to assign a sound to those important to you. See them as the ring on your phone, you don’t stare at your phone waiting calls, do you? With a sound assigned to mail notification, you won’t have to stare at your computer screen either and that let’s you free to do something else. You will use Vision’s nick notification the same way.
If you have to connect using WiFi, it’s good to know when you are finally connected or that you unfortunately have been disconnected.
You’re also glad to know that you plugged correctly that USB hard drive or printer, on the back on your tower without having to walk around the desk.
Even, if you’re on the PC, sounds attached to reminders are quite helpful. For example, when you don’t want to be late for an appointment. A sound will interrupt you while watching a video where another notification could be hidden.

1 Like

I’ve just noticed that Haiku is now making a beep sound when I move the volume slider. Nice :ok_hand:
One little problem though; When I do it slowly, it tries to play the sound then stops it then plays it again from the beginning with each millimeter moved, and it creates a weird glitchy sound.

In windows, the sound only played after I release the mouse button. I think that Haiku should do the same.

edit: I didn’t want to make an entire new topic just for this, I hope that mentioning it here was appropriate enough.

Did you write a bug?

no, should I?

Absolutely. If you’re hoping to see it fixed, that would be the best place for it to be seen.

3 Likes

You should write a bug report!

Sure if it is not working, or not good enough.

Report here:
https://dev.haiku-os.org/login

1 Like