BeOS 5 PE software archive

I downloaded a file:
pr5080_up_j_v125.zip
is that it?
BeOS image? what is hardware requirements?

It is the software for the Roland Edirol DV-7 video editors. Finding the specifications of the underlying system could be challenging.

Yes pr5080_up_j_v125.zip is the correct file. Inside is a BeOS boot/installer floppy image and a CD installer image. (Can be mounted under directly and browse the contents) Itā€™s Rolandā€™s BeOS install with video editor software and related.

I would categorize this as a distro.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=44796

Also, how about Hopkins FBI game for BeOS? I have a physical CD I can make an image of

1 Like

Game needed, of course. If it runs on BeOS r5 x86.

MAybe somebody can patch the hardware checking code to get it run on Haiku. I know it isnā€™t usable without the special hw, but would be great to see in live.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8_hUP7Pca9OVWctaXluSGEwSGc

Hopkins FBI for BeOS 4.5+ x86

ISO was test mounted under Max v4 inside VirtualBox

1 Like

Thanks for the game. Iā€™m surprised that there is a big BeOS game about which I have heard nothing. The game certainly is not for everyone, but itā€™s not a matter of an archivist.

I think that I must add ā€œnotepadsā€ category in text_tools in the archive.
Unfortunately, only a single candidate for this purpose:
pad-pr-ppc_src-incl.zip
Maybe I missed something?
Also maybe styled_editors must go there to?
Or maybe just renaming styled_editors to notepads?

this archive is what has made bebytes possible, excellent work :+1:

Seeing all of this I nostalgiaā€™d so hard. I was introduced to BeOS in 2001 and became member of the community in late 2002, early 2003. How the goddamn time flies.

1 Like

Eaaa)) This is time the best of the best, chiefly when BeOS community very highest friendly :blush: :wink: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Need help. The archive contains the following ā€œThe English Editor IIā€, it is clear this is not a word processor, what is it? a notepad? html editor? Or something else?

IIRC it is a text editor that specializes in emails and Usenet posts. And it has some unusual interface concepts.

EDIT: http://www.folta.net/steve/EnglishEditorII/

For the young 'uns on the forum: Usenet was a section of the really early Internet. In fact, it is descended from pre-internet BBS systems. Itā€™s still around , but thereā€™s no real point using it, unless you like spam and viruses.

XML editor?
Ok, xml_editors in text_tools then.

As it happens I still visit a couple of usenet groups on a regular basis. [And even occasionally post!] I get almost zero spam from posting there, and Iā€™m not sure how one would catch a virus from itā€¦ OTOH itā€™s definitely the case that a large proportion of the postings are swill (racist garbage, political rants and so on). One just has to ignore those ā€“ not hard. Its advantage ā€“ and disadvantage ā€“ is that itā€™s open to anyone; no registration or the like.

Here are listing of updated archive (version 2):
[URL=http://wikisend.com/download/252396/listing.BEOS5PEWARE_ver2.txt]listing.BEOS5PEWARE_ver2.txt[/URL]
Mainly reworked ā€œemulatorsā€ section and other minor changes-fixes, added some new software.
Size of the new archive is 10.6 GB, 7121 files.
Tomorrow will be available new torrent and short instructions how to update existing old torrent data.

1 Like

I see downloads for comercial software on the repos and forum, please check the licenses before you place software on the internet. I know many of them are abondonware, but this is not a free ticket to share. Take care with the image of the haiku community.

Lelldorin

Agreement has to be two sides, when only one side - the license becomes meaningless. Of course, some people may think that they agree with the paper? Abandonware is not a mythical thing.
What I would like to say about the agreements and licenses: any agreement has no power if it is imposed by force, and what really happens most often when one of the parties is a monopoly. Of course, the current licenses supports the third side: the state coercive apparatus. But it is not anything to do with the ā€œagreementā€.
I would not want to Haiku community becomes blunt formalists. What good for some dishonest lawyers, not necessarily must be good for other people.
In addition, this archive is the only archive for preservation purposes. What make other people with it - their affair.
In fact, a some of software is not included in the archive because the authors requested do not distribute it, and itā€™s sad.

ā€¦I should add that I wish that some people will eventually understand this thing: we live on one planet, but in different worlds. Whatā€™s good for one may be evil for another.
Therefore, I tend to divide things to the wise and unwise. And best to do it on the widest possible scale.
I think Haiku development is a good thing for the world.

Itā€™s more about being nice to the original developers than strictly formalist. Showing that the Haiku community as a whole has some respect for commercial software may be of great help when trying to get application developers interested. Unless you count only on freeware and open source things in the Haiku ecosystem, but I hope we can someday get some commercial software as well.

It also helps when we reach the authors and try to get their agreement to re-release their software as freeware or open source.

In my case, I hold an archive of old software. The main goal of the project is reaching to the authors and getting them to open source the things or put them under a more permissive license (even if the source is lost, allowing people to tinker with the binary may allow for some things). If you are serious about using one of these apps, please let the original authors know about your interest and maybe theyā€™ll consider doing something: resuming commercial activity, generating a ā€œfreewareā€ license key, or open sourcing it. But if you tell them you have been using software illegally and donā€™t care, they will probably not consider those options.

I agree that it is better legally than illegally. But it is also better illegally than nothing at all. That is life. Like or not. Life is more important than legality.
First, we need to preserve the BeOS legacy software. Second, do what we can to legalize it or better open source it.
This collection is more a cultural legacy, non-commercial.