BeAM/gmail quick guide

Considering I had a bit of trouble getting the SMTP settings for gmail right, I thought I would post the settings for IMAP with gmail here.
Sending/SMTP:
Account Name: [username]@gmail.com
SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com Port: 587
Auth-method: LOGIN
Username: [username]@gmail.com Password: your_password
Encryption: STARTTLS

Receiving/IMAP:
Account Name: [username]@gmail.com
Server: imap.gmail.com Port: 993
Auth-method: LOGIN
Username: [username]@gmail.com Password: your_password
Home folder: [pick one]
Encryption: SSL

Hope that helps somebody.

1 Like

Just as information: Haiku’s mail_daemon is smart enough to pick the right settings. I just tried, but didn’t want to wait until over 69.000 mails are downloaded (about 1/s…). Is there a way around getting all those mails (gmail)?

Regards,
Humdinger

Thank you for the information. I am able to send and receive email now.

I have one problem: In both the native email application and in Beam, the mail I delete is not deleted from the server. Do you know how to enable this functionality?

Thanks!

I don’t know if it actually works, if it doesn’t it’s a bug, but there’s a setting for that in the E-mail preferences. Beam doesn’t use the mail_daemon AFAIK, so it should have its own setting.

Regards,
Humdinger

Thanks, Humdinger. I contacted the Beam developer and he confirmed that IMAP deletion support is not implemented.

As for IMAP support in the native Haiku client, IMAP deletion didn’t work the last time I tried. I will try setting up my Gmail account again. If I still can’t get it to work, I’ll file a bug report.

It was my understanding that gmail itself does not allow clients to move items to the trash. I think when you delete an item, gmail, moves the item to “All Mail”. I would like to delete items in gmail the same as I do in other accounts, but the only way I have ever been able to delete items in gmail, is to go to it on the web and delete them from the website.

bill

Hi!
is there any way to use gmail in haiku in 2022?

Really, exhuming this 11 years old thread…? :slight_smile:

GMail is working for me for many years, using IMAP and the standard pre-filled settings of the Mail preferences.
You do have to allow “unsafe applications” in the settings burried somewhere in your Google account first though.

4 Likes

lol why not? ;D

ahmmm now I look in the settings :slight_smile:

I tried to limit the imap folder size to 1000 messages, which works, but after that, BEAM will only download new messages, rather than fetching the previous 1000.

What is the optimal setting for deleting emails?

Can the haiku email app read the BEAM folders as well?

If you are like me and your Gmail mailbox is too large for BeAM to download, and you don’t mind routing your email through another account (and then letting Gmail import them via pop/imap), currently.com (AT&T but using Yahoo’s servers) will give you an account with 1000gb of email. It uses the same imap and smtp settings as Yahoo mail:

login: username@currently.com

imap.mail.yahoo.com
port 993
ssl/tls
Oauth2

smtp.mail.yahoo.com
port 465
ssl/tls
Oauth2

Edit: I realize that BeAM and the Mail app don’t currently support Oauth2. Yahoo does support application specific passwords which would obviate the issue, but I don’t know if their reseller accounts (such as Currently.com) support application specific passwords. Nevertheless, you should still be able to use application specific passwords with an @yahoo.com account. Here’s the article about it: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN15241.html

1 Like

I tried to find this option in my gmail account. However after some digging, I found a link where said option should be, but there is nothing to activate. My guess is, that since if never used this option, the possibility to activate unsafe applications is gone too. Hence I can’t use gmail…

You have to enable 2fa in Gmail with the push auth or secret keys. Then you can enable app specific passwords.

I think that Google is thinking that malware could then read your master Google account password if it’s used in other apps.

How do I display all of the imap folders in BeAM or the Mail app?

There are two options concerning imap in the gmail ui:

When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:
Auto-Expunge on - Immediately update the server. (default)
Auto-Expunge off - Wait for the client to update the server.

When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:
Archive the message (default)
Move the message to the Trash
Immediately delete the message forever

However I don’t understand how they all work together.

OAUTH2 proxy: