Announcement: Haiku Media Editor - R1.0.0, Beta 1

@Zenja thank you so much. I am very excited! Congratulations for your hard work! As said, thank you for supporting Haiku and the community!

2 Likes

Very impressive work, well done. Together with Wonderbrush 64bit I have now two apps for testing and working with.
I am really very happy for this great giftā€¦
Now it can be even better with all the help of the community.
I still learn how to use git and maybe I hope can help with some bug reports and some proof readingā€¦

ŠžŃ‡ŠµŠ½ŃŒ Š„Š¾Ń€Š¾ŃˆŠ¾!!

Amazing work and the size isā€¦ mind blowing!!!
Kudos Zenja!!!

Regards,
RR

1 Like

Updated the recipe, builds and installs fine on 32bit, but crashes on launch :confused:

A media editor that would boot from a 1.44 MB floppy disk? I thought my Amigas were thrifty on storage but this takes the cake! I imagine youā€™re using the OS quite extensively to make it fit in such a small amount of storage!

wow, absolutely wow, how can I help support your work ?

Thanks SCollins for offering to help. At this stage, spread the word, report bugs etc.

Iā€™m expecting the project to improve with every release, this is a young project, and in time there will be more effects, more features, more plugins, etc. Iā€™m hoping that in a couple of years it will reach feature parity, and by virtue of it being fully open source will give it an edge.

This is a labour of love, of passion, and Iā€™m not expecting any financial benefits. If it helps Haiku gain more users, thatā€™s great, it benefits all of us. Haiku needs native apps. We all remember how great the small number of BeOS native apps were (eg. Gobe Productive), we only need half a dozen such apps to entice a lot more enthusiasts to come over.

7 Likes

With a lot of difficulties, I managed to create a 32 bit version, but warning, danger, here be dragons it is not officially supported. My main issue is that out of 4 PCā€™s I can access, even though they all support 64 bit version of Haiku very well, none of them will boot the 32 bit R1B2 or nightly. I managed to take a USB stick to a friends legacy PC, and with limited time managed to create a 32 bit version, but couldnā€™t find time to package it properly. For the small number of 32 bit users only, I have included a zip file with the binary, and commited the source code modifications to GitHub.

Please be aware that 1 second of 1920x1080@30fps consumes 240Mb of RAM for cached frames, so on a 32 bit system you have less than 6 seconds of cached video for scrubbing. This makes video editing unusable on such legacy systems.

Link to 32 bit version: http://www.users.on.net/~zenja/Medo_x86_32bit.zip
Officially not supported.

Medo_32

9 Likes

Thanks for this, even if not supported (Iā€™m not a video editor) itā€™s nice to see it starting, checked and launches ok, switching language is ok too after a restart, crashes on quit (still need to get some debug info to you about that) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just tried it out with the videos I have on hand!

6 Likes

I want to thank you because my son has a brain injury and he is quickly learning how to use this nle, please keep that in mind.

so many of them impose obscenely complicated work flows.

thank you, and this brings haiku so much closer to a daily os now. Iā€™m reformatting my old phenom II 6 core just for this.

thank you

7 Likes

Itā€™s of course completely your decision, and totally understandable (probably sensible) if you limt your supported (and tested) platforms to 64bit. OTOH, people with old 32bit machines may have lower picture quality needs as well.
Also, depending on how nice your audio track manipulations turn out, some may use Medo for some audio-only projects, lowering memory needsā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Zenja What about adding support for Avisynth+ ?

I can try to help with a Portuguese pt_PT translation, if you tell me how.

1 Like

Hi lib1. Victor has volunteered to do the Portugese translation ( victordomingos. Thank you for offering to help.

Hi forart.it. Regarding Avisynth+, Iā€™m not able to attempt the integration since I honestly do not have the time. A 3rd party opportunity if interest exists, I suppose. Since Medo is a Haiku application, it is fully scriptable by sending BMessages to it. A Medo::AddOn can also be created if the demand is there ā€¦

Take care.

1 Like

Well then, maybe @qyot27 could be interested in experimenting this.

Thanks.

Right. I am working on it. I expect to send the portuguese translation soon.

I am working on the translation, which should be complete in a few days. It would be awesome if you could test it after it gets merged in one of the next builds.

Sure, Iā€™ll do it!