**ANNOUNCEMENT** Genio - The Haiku IDE

Work in progress in the experimental branch.
We will likely merge these early stage changes in the next few days.

In your screenshot, I see a nice tree view on Project tab. Would it be possible to ā€œexportā€ that, maybe as a lib, to make it available for other apps? I think about a panel option in Tracker, for example.

Currently it is a simple BOutlineListView with custom ProjectItem inherited from BStringItem. The magic happens in DrawItem method.

We inherited it from the old Ideam but have plans to improve it and make it a class on its own.

1 Like

Could you elaborate? Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve understood what you mean

Iā€™am not a student. I study a haiku forum sometimes for many years. And I donā€™t knew a forgeins language. Nice to work!

Daiku IDE is mentioned here. Unfortunately the link was leading to BeBits. Perhaps, it is saved somewhere elseā€¦

The Wayback Machine has an older version, if you dig far enough (not the latest ā€œ2.0ā€ release unfortunately): https://web.archive.org/web/20101203081449/http://www.k5.dion.ne.jp/~shinta86/test/Daiku11DR.zip

It appears the GUI designer tool does not support layouts, which makes it not especially useful IMO.

What about ALE?

Itā€™s quite old and incomplete IMHO. Last time I tried it didnā€™t start anymore. But if someone would like to take care of and improve it, we might find a way to make it interoperable with Genio. If that makes sense, of course.

1 Like

actually running before beta4ā€¦ thereis issue on haikuport about itā€¦ but this application crash frequently when runningā€¦

Iā€™d be curious if you could find a way to use VScode plugins, or architect something functionally similar, ie ALE etc as a plugin. Then you could add things like valgrind etc in to run live.

VSCode plugins are written in Javascript or similar. It might work, but doesnā€™t make a lot of sense. Youā€™d need a whole compatibility layer in there and that relies on the assumption the plugin framework for VSCode is static and will never change.

itā€™s a lot of really nice coding tools,

Is ALE compatible with the Layout API? Doesnā€™t seem like it from the description and the example code.

it was written by Auckland university specifically for the Auckland layout model haiku uses, stack and tile being among those features

VSCode architecture is based on nodejs and its extensions are written in javascript. So, no way.
We may instead use its regexp collection to parse the compiler output. We have plans to improve that area

Node.js now available in Haiku | Haiku Project.

Stack and tile is developed by the same team but not otherwise related.

The Aukland layout model is one of the various layouts available in Haiku (in addition to grids, groups, splits, etc). However, it is not very popular, developers prefer to design their UI with the other options which are maybe a bit more intuitive when coding the UI.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got to put some time into UI development next yr, busy with other tasks currently

Hi, nice! Has it already code completion for C++? Best regards Andreas.